28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 12:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #696, Ford 427/482 CO
Not Ranked     

I thought tea strainers looked more like this.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2009, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unfortunataly ; none
Not Ranked     

Mr. Blom (Hello Sweden, from Lillestrøm, Norway) .

Tea strainers come in various types. I choose the "new" type (at top of page) because they, from my point of view, will disturb the air stream around the rim of the air horns less than the other types.

But; Bobcowan. I wonder: you are running EFI?

Then I find it rather strange that your A/F ratio should be altered when putting tea strainers on. (Maybe because you run TPS and no MAP or MAF?)

You didn't do a dyno run (on the same dyno) with the Momar filters? Would be an interresting comparison with the other graphs. And the filters makes it richer. So then you do run another map with thes filters to lean out. OK. Well, as you said- the comparison should be done with a leaned out map on the tea strainers too, to be fair.

RuneS
Old 09-05-2009, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprimaniac View Post
Mr. Blom (Hello Sweden, from Lillestrøm, Norway) .

Tea strainers come in various types. I choose the "new" type (at top of page) because they, from my point of view, will disturb the air stream around the rim of the air horns less than the other types.

But; Bobcowan. I wonder: you are running EFI?

Then I find it rather strange that your A/F ratio should be altered when putting tea strainers on. (Maybe because you run TPS and no MAP or MAF?)

You didn't do a dyno run (on the same dyno) with the Momar filters? Would be an interresting comparison with the other graphs. And the filters makes it richer. So then you do run another map with thes filters to lean out. OK. Well, as you said- the comparison should be done with a leaned out map on the tea strainers too, to be fair.

RuneS
Yes, it's EFI. It's an older system, so there's no MAF sensor. It can run on limited closed loop, with a narrow band sensor. But that doesn't seem to change anything, so I don't run a sensor.

I have run it on a dyno with open stacks and then Momar filters. You have to take out a fair amount of fuel with the filters, and you lose some HP. Not much, but some. Even with the filters on there's plenty of power.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I feel the need for speed
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default TWM Air Filters

I have a TWM EFI set-up with 58mm venturis. Anyone know of air filters besides the bug strainers that will fit and stay on?

Mike
Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

So, from experience, would you say debris would more likely come through the hood scoop? or from under the car & into the engine compartment?

I really don't like any of the "off the shelf" stack filters & was thinking about designing/building something that would be more of a drop in unit that would sandwich in between the stacks & hood & could be removed easily when you open the hood.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

My vote is no filters:

Old 10-19-2009, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347 webers
Not Ranked     

[quote=Caprimaniac;979695]Two weeks ago i ran my webers with K&N air filters much like Derald Rice & Flat-Tyler show on page 1 in this thread.

What I wanted to ask is: did anyone test these setups on the dyno?
(I know, I know: open stacks is the best....)

QUOTE]

On a dyno, 9 hp difference with and without the filters as shown in my previous thread.

Derald.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi, Derald.
Thanks for this interesting result.
I'd say that number (9Hp) would be in the predicted range: Lets say you have a 450 Hp engine: 2% difference.

Then it all comes downe to the detail; same dyno, no engine settings altered & the strainers Snakebit show.

After testing the K&N's and the same strainers, I'm 100% sure that there's far from 100 Hp difference. Engine easily & fast reaches 8000 rpm and really kicks with both setups. Well; I might not be able to feel the difference between 4- and 500 Hp? I don't know. In fact, there's not much I know, to be honest.

Could someone please make the summer caome back really soon? It's damned cold up here.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

has anyone tried the filters at irintakes.com

http://irintakes.com/Air_Filters.html
Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Tested

I have a set of K&N filters like these, although a little taller. I think they're made/ offered by Redline.
Engine was very resposnive and quite quiet with these on. They look good as well.

Only minus is that they weigh quite alot and makes it impossible to work on the carbs without taking them off- which is why I took mine off and used tea strainers instead.

Rs
Old 12-19-2009, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I'm Designing a filter box right now. A lot on my plate right at the moment but I should start working on it in a couple weeks.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4252,aluminum body, 427 side-oiler, Webers
Not Ranked     

I run booties. Car runs great. Took a little extra tweaking to dial in the Webers but no big deal. My engine builder who is one of the best around says it's not worth the risk running without filters with all the dirt, pebbles, sand (I live on Cape Cod), and other airborne contaminants possibly getting sucked into the engine and causing some real problems. He also said that unfiltered air will dust the motor after a while and diminish engine life. Just my two cents.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default endoc

I hear the birds in South America have completely recovered and are sassy as hell...
Old 12-20-2009, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Where did you buy them?
AIR STACK BOOTIES
Old 12-20-2009, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4252,aluminum body, 427 side-oiler, Webers
Not Ranked     

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1509
Old 12-29-2009, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

this may be a dumb question guys but im looking into some filters for my setup on those k&n style setups do you run the velocity stacks inside those or does it just eliminate them compleatly i will be running them on 44 idf carbs

thanks jeff
Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I run 16mm stacks simply for the radiused entry, 1 3/4 K&N on quad 44 IDFs on a Holden 308, and 20mm ramtubes inside K&N 1 3/4 (soon to be an airbox)on my twin DCOEs on a Datsun A15.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

what do the ram tubes do are they essentually the same as the velocity stacks does any one have more detailed pics of this setup

thanks jeff
Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347 webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorj928 View Post
this may be a dumb question guys but im looking into some filters for my setup on those k&n style setups do you run the velocity stacks inside those or does it just eliminate them compleatly i will be running them on 44 idf carbs

thanks jeff
Photo of my filters is post # 10 of this thread, and the velocity stacks are inside the filters. I have not tried without the stacks. 48 idf's.

Derald.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ok thanks yeah i saw those pictures i was wondering if anyone had a piv od it disassembled so i could see how it all went together i was going to try and build my own filter setup but cant find a filter that was tall enough to accomidate the stacks inside

thanks jeff