Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What if...?

During my time as a member of this and other high-end automotive forums, I’ve noticed several reoccurring themes; among them, a general appreciation for the appearance, heritage, and drivability of Weber carburetors. Quite often however, two other themes accompany this one – those of having to compromise either low or high RPM performance based on venturi sleeve I.D. due to traditional IR style manifolding for these carbs, and “packaging” issues that complicate inlet air filtering and further limit performance due to compromises in inlet runner length.

My questions to you all then, are these:

How important is the “traditional” IDA/IDF individual runner “look”?

Would a cross-runner, adjustable plenum (both volume and pairing) style manifold that utilized side-draft DCO/DCOE-style carbs and potentially eliminated most of the se compromises be of interest to you? I realize that the basic cross-runner concept isn’t new, but we’ve developed some technology during the past year or so that greatly enhances the efficiency and flexibility of this design. Also, it seems to me that under-hood packaging and air filtration issues might be simplified with this type of setup.

I realize that “how interested” is very often closely tied to “how much?”, but even that doesn’t matter if most of you picture such a setup and think “Eeewww…” or “Sacrilege!!” If the majority’s gut reaction to the concept doesn’t include either of those, I’ll proceed a bit further with the idea...hopefully to the point of being able to give you some idea regarding price. At that point too, I’d like to have some input from the membership regarding most-common application parameters – what deck height and what type of cylinder heads would you like to see such a manifold developed for?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I think it's the look first and performance second. Seeing those 8 stacks sticking straight up on top of a small block or big block is quite impressive. It duplicates the look of the older racing engines using Webers or Hilborn injection. The comment I get when I pop the hood and they see the Webers is "HOLY S_ _t!!!! that is sick!!!

There are a lot of ways to increase performance today that were not as common back in the 60's. Roller lifters, fuel injection, turbo chargers, super chargers on a production engine were unherd of. What looks more impressive under the hood of a Cobra, a set of Webers or a super charger? But the super charger will make more horse power! Who cares, I'll take the Webers any day.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

I'm considering replacing my 4bbl with a weber setup but worried about hood clearance. I'm assuming that the cross runner is similar to the SB Chevy stuff. Look different, but what about performance? Not period correct, but could be something for those wanting a custom look. Yes, it's looks, performance, and price.
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 10-01-2008, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't see why it would not be possible to maintain the up right stance with 48 IDA's and creat a cross runner manifold with the carbs on one side feeding the ports on the other side. It would take some creative modeling to get it done but definately possible and you could have the "look" of the manifold very similar to the present ones. I would like it if the deck height could be kept the same or very close to present heights. Just needs someone to do it. If you build a 48 IDA up right, cross runner manifold for a 351W just let me know where to send the bank draft.

Last edited by jimf; 10-01-2008 at 11:00 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 11:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Someone on this site was involve in attempting to duplicate this type manifold. I believe an initial run of them was completed but never heard much about them. Anyone familiar with the outcome??

[IMG][/IMG]
They would require something larger than 45 DCOE's for most applications however.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Moon makes the ford cross ram manifold. Weber DCO 48, DCO/SP50 and 55 mm carbs are available. https://www.mooneyesusa.com/Store/pr...b285b0db054597

If you prefer injection.
http://www.morrisonoz.com/FordManifolds.html