Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 713 427 stroker 468ci
Not Ranked     
Default Who makes the best manifold

I have been kicking this weber carb thing around abit. I have a 427 stroked to 468.just curius who makes the best intake for 48 IDA carbs.thanks in advance for any input.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I've often wondered about that as well. If you look at a Weber manifold as compared to a 4 bbl. manifold, there is almost nothing to it. It's more of a mounting point for the carbs rather than a manifold. Just a straight shot from the carb butterflies an inch or two straight down right into the intake port of the head. It would appear that there isn't much opportunity to tweak the thing to get much of a performance enhancement out of it compared to the other Weber manifolds on the market. There is no plenum and no runners to speak of. Is there really a difference in performance of these various Weber manifolds?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Dean Lampe used to have Webers then switched over to Dynatek FI. He had his manifold custom made for his RCR40.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

I have a 427 FE stroked to 488 with high riser heads. My manifold was built by Paul Swartz of swartzracingmanifolds.com. The website has pics of mine or you can look at my gallery. I canted mine 15 degrees rather than what seems the norm...10 degrees. He could modify the ports if you have medium rise or low rise heads.

I am very happy with my manifold. Check him out....he does nice work.

Russ
Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Russ,

WOW! What a piece of art! Nice work indeed...and probably the $,$$$ to go with it, too. Probably not as affordable for most, but an option never-the-less.

Your car must fly.

-Dean

Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

I think for the standard variety Weber intakes for medium riser head FE, there's one company that makes the casting for all the suppliers, Pierce, Inglese, Redline, TopEnd, etc. I don't know the company's name but that's the rumor anyway.

The one I bought from TopEnd in North Hollywood, CA was nicely machined, bolted right on and sealed up with no issues or gaps. I measured carefully and used feeler gages first to confirm.

The linkage that came with it, is positive and easy to adjust and is synched well so the carbs all open at the same rate.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

I should have also mentioned that Wayne Presley at verycoolparts.com has a Weber manifold for an FE mid rise head.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
I think for the standard variety Weber intakes for medium riser head FE, there's one company that makes the casting for all the suppliers, Pierce, Inglese, Redline, TopEnd, etc. I don't know the company's name but that's the rumor anyway.

The one I bought from TopEnd in North Hollywood, CA was nicely machined, bolted right on and sealed up with no issues or gaps. I measured carefully and used feeler gages first to confirm.

The linkage that came with it, is positive and easy to adjust and is synched well so the carbs all open at the same rate.
There he goes again. Show off.

Doesn't the smell and look of a fresh new Weber intake manifold make you foam at the mouth?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rodney my boy, you have to do this. Fence sitting is not your M.O.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
Rodney my boy, you have to do this. Fence sitting is not your M.O.
Sheesh, what I have 830 miles on the car and I should start to make plans to rip the lid off the top end? In my best Capt. James T. Kirk voice:

".....must....resist...temptation...keep...wallet. ..closed...just...a...little...while....longer..."
Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Sheesh, what I have 830 miles on the car and I should start to make plans to rip the lid off the top end? In my best Capt. James T. Kirk voice:

".....must....resist...temptation...keep...wallet. ..closed...just...a...little...while....longer..."
Or in your best James Doohan (Scotty) voice, "Captain, I've got to have more power from the dilithium crystals....."
Old 06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

They only made a handful of Weber manifolds for the SOHC motor, I had mine made by Hogan's Manifolds in CA:

Alan Sorkey
Shreveport, LA
CSX4083
Old 06-05-2009, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 713 427 stroker 468ci
Not Ranked     

Thanks alot guys,some very nice manifolds.Now I really have the sickness bad.I am still in the research stage.some say the webers won't flow enough air,but I have seen them on big in v8s going like hell.I rarely run it over 5k and they look so cool.thanks again jim.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

If all out performance is what you are after, go with the Berg Carb, now available to 61mm but the footprint is still the same as the 48mm IDA.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle Al View Post
If all out performance is what you are after, go with the Berg Carb, now available to 61mm but the footprint is still the same as the 48mm IDA.

What's the cost difference between a full brace of Berg carbs, and a Dynatek EFI setup? Also, the Berg carb is considerable taller, looks like hood clearance will be an issue on most Cobras using the Berg carbs.

Lots of looks at neat Weber manifolds here, but the base question remains unanswered...is there any performance difference between all these different Weber manifolds, or are the differences mostly cosmetic?
Old 06-06-2009, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

FWIW, I have a buddy selling a new (never used) polished TWM big block set up. contact me if you are interested.
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 06-06-2009, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Berg Carbs are the same height, just taller stacks installed in that picture, the short stack also pictured would easily clear the hood in a standard installation.