• 1 Post By Buzz
  • 1 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 1 Post By patrickt
  • 1 Post By KirbyBoston

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2018, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Default backdraft thoughts

Hello all ; I am seriously thinking of purchasing a 2008 backdraft, with a m3 differential. Please share your thoughts, about the backdraft compaired to others.If you own one tell me what you like about it.Would a 500HP motor be okay ? Thank you.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

A read through this thread aught to clear up most questions.

Opinions Please - BDR or Other Builders of BDR
hauss likes this.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default more thoughts

Not many replies. I will continue to search ,so please don"t reply with search somewhere else.I would love to hear your thoughts on the backdraft. Thank you Hauss.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Most everybody here will reply that they prefer the Cobra that they chose for themselves. If you want to hear good things about BDR, BDR owners will tell you they are great. Same goes for just about any other choice you may consider.

You have to decide what is important to YOU, and what your budget is. If you can articulate all this (way more difficult than it may seem for a first time Cobra buyer) there are some people here that may be able to point you in the right direction. Many Cobra owners are motivated by very different aspects of these cars so what is it you want your Cobra to do for you?
hauss likes this.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
Not many replies. I will continue to search ,so please don"t reply with search somewhere else.I would love to hear your thoughts on the backdraft. Thank you Hauss.
Don't give up so quickly hauss! Generally when a question is asked about a specific brand we let the owners and people with first hand knowledge/experience answer. The rest of us may have opinions, but the best qualified are the owners. The other thing is that you posted the question in a specific regional group and the people outside that group might not always see the post or be inclined to jump in and answer.

For specific brands, check to see if the forum group for that brand is active (not all owners' groups are) and if so post the question there. If not, try posting in the ALL COBRA TALK forum where you'll probably get the biggest audience.

I'm not a Backdraft owner, but to get things kicked off, here's my two cents:

* More of an interpretation than an accurate replica of the classic Cobra with a longer wheelbase and altered body lines.

* Like Superformance, BDR's are factory built with only the drivetrain left for the owner to install.

* BMW-sourced suspension components

PROS:

* Consistent build quality - no guesswork about how well it was put together.

* Active owners group and dealer support right here on Club Cobra

* Modern Ford modular motors, which are very large, fit in and work well.

* More interior legroom due to longer wheelbase

* Owners generally seem to like their cars a lot.

Cons:

* Distinctive body shape - not for the "purists" or those who highly value accuracy or authenticity. It just comes down to a matter of personal taste.

Let's hope more owners see this thread and chime in with better/more detailed info.
hauss likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 02-28-2018 at 03:35 PM..
Old 02-28-2018, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The primary reason you're not drawing a lot of info is that this subject was just discussed - see the reference. Most of the people that would have contributed here already did over there and don't feel like repeating themselves. Take a peek. Had it not been so soon after the other one you might have drawn people out of their shell.

One of the tools that the forum has is a SEARCH function. It's quite useful.
Millsy likes this.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

?????????????????? Read my post.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I said please!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Not sure if u r a spammer or serious. First see the link above and this topic has been talked to death here. Everyone will tell u which brand is better since they are going to hype their owned brand unless its a POS. You are asking about a 2008 and I dont know enough about the older models. I do have a Backdraft built in late 2016, it has 525 H.P at the crank, 426 at the wheels. I upgraded to the Posi rearend, not sure what comes in a 2008 but I would upgrade if its a one legger. See who built the car because again this forum has alot of opinions on builders, with Vintage Motorsports being at the top for the Backdraft brand. Was the car you looking at built by someone at home, a certified mechanic or a professional Backdraft builder? U ask about a 500 hp motor but didnt say if thats what is in it or is that what you want to put in it. Its an open forum so if you dont ask direct questions then people are not gonna answer and most likely bust your balls which IMO is deserved. Yes I love my car, it has had minor issues but I got the best in the business backing up his build quality so I am in a different boat versus someone buying from a backyard mechanic. There are a ton of bad kit cars out there and sometimes its not the brands fault. There are also kits put together by backyard mechanics that are better then some so called professional shops. Find someone to look at the car with you that has knowledge of these cars if possible.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No I am not a spammer! I want to hear what people have to say. Isn"t that the point of having a forum?If I am guilty of anything its not knowing how to navigate and use all the tools. Dare I say newbie.Ask Mr. BUZZ,he has got me Spelling ,punctuating perfectly just so I don"t offend people like you! Don"t get your panties in a bunch.Thank you for your input on the backdrafts . Again please anyone reading this don"t respond unless you have something nice to say about me or something good or bad to say about backdrafts.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Shut the **** up dickhead, welcome to the forum idiot.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsy View Post
Shut the **** up dickhead, welcome to the forum idiot.
That" not nice
Old 03-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well I should have subscribed to this thread sooner.
Millsy likes this.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1589, VMS 427Ev2FI
Not Ranked     

I took delivery of a BDR finished by Vintage Motorsports in CT back in Sept so don’t have a lot of seat time yet (tough in Boston winter) but I chose BDR for a few reasons:
1) I fit in it. The 2” wider and longer meant I could drive the car comfortably versus FFR. Having test driven a few of those I had actually started looking at Corvettes afraid my life long dream car wasn’t to be until I met Brian from VMS at a show and sat in on each of their BDRs and could actually shift the clutch without smashing my knee on the door. Dream saved.

2) didn’t want to buy something built in a personal garage and certainly didn’t want to drive something with this much power that I had attempted to build myself. Liked BDRs factory prep (build quality/paint/interior all extremely nice) and VMS’ stellar reputation here and elsewhere for quality motors and assembly

3) motor package in mine is the VMS 427 with EFI. I have an old Jeep with a carb and didn’t want to deal with one on this car. I wanted it to be a 427 to be true to the badge even if not the original BB. It runs great and 535 HP is plenty enough for me. Not sure how those with 700+ keep it on the road.

As others have said go sit in a few to see if you’re willing to trade the slightly off dimensions of a BDR for the comfort. For me it was the only option. Good luck!
hauss likes this.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well I should have subscribed to this thread sooner.
4-speed? only heard four shifts on sound track Love the engine bay ! Did you install the pusher fans or does the car come that way?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
4-speed? only heard four shifts on sound track Love the engine bay ! Did you install the pusher fans or does the car come that way?
I only use fifth gear for calm, pleasant cruising at around 70 to 75mph. But doing that is absolutely one of my favorite things to do. With the .64 ratio, I'm revving around 2300 and you can actually chat with your passenger. You can pretty much put pusher fans on any of our cars and, with ERA, if you ask them nicely they will build your Cobra any way you can possible imagine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: