LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     
Default WSCB-TRACK DAY 2007 Main Thread

Hi Folks,

Please post all your Track Day questions and comments here on this thread so we can all learn from your comments:

Western States Cobra Bash-TRACK DAY Announcement

It has come to our attention that there may be some apprehension regarding the intension of WSCB -TRACK DAY and we would like to make a few things very clear:

1.) WSCB-Track Day is a novice oriented event. We have gone out of our way to make sure you guys feel safe, comfortable, and in control while on the track. At no point should you go faster than you feel is comfortable.

2.) WSCB-Track Day is a driving experience geared towards the Cobra enthusiast who desires a better understanding of open-touring their car in a safe venue.

3.) WSCB-Track Day is not a racing or chest-beating event! There is a small “fast” run group of seasoned veterans, your instructors, who want to have fun too. They will not be driving in your run group for purposes other than instruction . Any chest-beating by a “wanker” and you will be made an example of. Furthermore, No “pro-wankers” allowed! We will confiscate your car and use it as an airport shuttle.

4.) We have developed the event around the premise that many of you have no real desire to “open track” your car but do wish to have fun learning and brushing up on the basic techniques of sport touring and driver awareness. We are all here to have an enjoyable day, and to learn.

If you have any reservations or questions regarding the skill level required for Track Day, please email either Duane or myself. But I can tell you now, if you own a Cobra and want to have some fun, you meet the requirement!

Thanks and see you soon,

John Marsey
WSCB-TDC

Last edited by jmarsey; 04-12-2007 at 09:40 AM..
Old 03-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Copied from WSCB Main Thread:

From Duane:

WSCB Attendees / Quick Update:

I'll be sending out an updated email/newsletter around April 1st. The only ones who will receive it are those who are registered. Lots of little updates to share and things coming together. Until then, one important thing to note:

The WSCB hotel room block is mostly sold out all 4 nights now, and now the main hotel is completely sold out on Fri/Saturday. Attendee and vendor spots are completely full on the main Corral floor. Track Day is full. We've got plenty coming and I'm letting a few more former attendees from year1/2 trickle in but that's about it. Also, we will be sending out a pre-arrival information packet on email with a video link soon for Track Day so you can see the actual in-car filming of the track configuration in advance; it's on the website now under Track Day Info. It's going well so far. Thanks to all for your support. DC

From John:

Hi Folks,

Just a further note about the Track Day package Duane mentioned. We will have that assembled and to you in the early April Newsletter. Along with schedules and tech info, the package will give you a written and visual overview of what to expect both in the classroom and on the track. The video turned out very well, I thought, and will make more sense when you get the rest of the material that goes with it. Together, you will be able to prepare yourself and get familiar with the program so come Track Day morning you’ll be ready to rock! We will explain all this in the Newsletter so stay tuned!

Talk soon, John

From Doug:

John,
I assume this will all be in the packet, but wondering what the safety requirements are with respect to clothing, helmet, etc. This will be my first track day (everyone stay away from the gray coupe! ), so this is all new to me. Will helmets, etc. be available for rental at the track?

Doug, SPC088

From John:

Hi Doug,

You will be fine. Helmets will be made available if needed. I believe there was a box to check on the Track Day Reg form including size. Make sure you let us know if not on the reg form.

Clothing should basically be shoes you are very comfortable driving the car with. I would always recommend a pair of driving shoes especially on the track. I like the Simpson shoe because they are thin soul'd and tight around the foot without a bunch of extra width. A driving shoe will give you a better feel of the pedals and foot box, and you know where the edges of your feet are. A good set of driving gloves also helps with car control and safety. Apparel can be jeans, no shorts, and a long sleeve shirt is recommended. I also like to recommend a neck brace although not required. They help to limit head movement. Once you wear one, you’ll feel naked without it.

Everything will be explained it the Packet but let us know if you have any questions. Oh yeah, prepare to have fun!

Talk soon, John
Old 04-07-2007, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1474: 482 CI stroked tunnel port 427 with dual quads.
Not Ranked     
Default Track Day Photos?

Hi John,

Do you know if there will be anyone taking professional photo's of our cars on track day? I know one vendor usually comes to the Mini-Nats every year at Sears Point. Just curious if something similar will be available while we do our laps.

thanks,
Gene
Old 04-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

We have three approved Photographers for WSCB and WSCB Track Day, also as per the agreement/contract with the raceway facility. Those names have already been provided. All resale of photos are reviewed and approved by WSCB. I can actually get myself in trouble if non-registered WSCB people just start showing up taking pictures without approval. If the gentlemen you are referring to is the person I'm thinking of, he would need to contact me to discuss it further. He can send an email to wscb@comcast.net

Thanks,
Duane
Old 04-12-2007, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I just got off of the phone with someone that is going to the Bash for the first time and is participating in the track day. He was concerned about being on a track with his car for the first time. This started me thinking about the first WSCB when we got to go on the track for a few "parade laps". That left me wanting more and when the opportunity arose the following year to sign up for the track day I jumped at the chance. The chance to get your car out on a track at a speed you were comfortable with and also get some instruction was great. It prompted me to sign up for driving classes at a school to get more professional instruction. I am really looking forward to this years track day to try out some of the improvements that I have made on the car.

So why do I look forward to track day and taking more instruction? Is it because I want to race other cars and win? Is it the "A" type personality that most of the Cobra owners I've met have? In my case it is none of the above. I love driving my car and want to be able to drive it the best that I can. I want to know how it handles in as many situations as possible. When the drunk driver comes into my lane, or the farm truck pulls out of a side road, I want to know that I can do everything that I can to avoid them. I think that this what the track day at the Bash is all about. That is the reason that I have enjoyed track day at the Bash so much.

For those that want more there are open track days and events like Run-N-Gun to satisfy those competitive urges.

Dick

Gail Rhoten in ERA 002 at Run-N-Gun 1995
Old 04-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dick,

Thanks for reinforcing the point, Right on the money!

Folks, please see opening post regarding this subject.

See you soon, John
Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

John,
Speaking about "Parade Laps" I noticed that there will be the group photo like last year, plus "driving slow" for the video. Will our "guests" be able to drive with us on the video shoot? Will there be "parade laps" for our guests to get some "track time"?

Also, I was hoping to get an instructor to ride with me and give me some one-on-one instruction. Will that also be available? If you are starting a list, I'm first!

Thanks. Ron
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Fyi.

WSCB Track Day 2007 Vision Statement

WSCB Track Day 2007 is primarily geared towards the new Cobra enthusiast who desires instruction and open-touring their car on a nice track with others. First and foremost, it is not a race, it's a NOVICE oriented gathering of Cobra people; mostly comprised of street rodder types, not racers. We have gone out of our way to make sure you feel safe, comfortable, without pressure, and in control around other cars when on the track. There will be 3-4 rungroups and the first two groups will be taking it slower and easy with lead and follows. Rest assured, saftey is our first objective at WSCB and Track Day. DC

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us at wscb@comcast.net
Old 04-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_SN888KE
John,
Speaking about "Parade Laps" I noticed that there will be the group photo like last year, plus "driving slow" for the video. Will our "guests" be able to drive with us on the video shoot? Will there be "parade laps" for our guests to get some "track time"?

Also, I was hoping to get an instructor to ride with me and give me some one-on-one instruction. Will that also be available? If you are starting a list, I'm first!

Thanks. Ron
Hi Ron,

The only "drivers" allowed on the track will be WSCB Track Day participants. No guests or ride-a-longs will be allowed to drive on the track unless they are signed up for WSCB & Track Day. Those are the rules.

We will be having group pictures and a video session like last year. As far as passengers included in parade laps and video, that has not been determined at this time and I believe we will make that call at the track. It's going to be a busy day.

Ride-along instruction has not been determined. We will be doing lead & follows on the track primarily in the morning sessions. Later in the day after lunch when the track opens up, and if your car has a double roll bar, full harness, and driving within your abilities, you may be able to find an instructor to ride with you.

We'll keep you posted.

Thanks, John

Ps, a little birdie told me you are having some motor issues?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

From John:
Quote:
Hi Doug,

You will be fine. Helmets will be made available if needed. I believe there was a box to check on the Track Day Reg form including size. Make sure you let us know if not on the reg form.

Clothing should basically be shoes you are very comfortable driving the car with. I would always recommend a pair of driving shoes especially on the track. I like the Simpson shoe because they are thin soul'd and tight around the foot without a bunch of extra width. A driving shoe will give you a better feel of the pedals and foot box, and you know where the edges of your feet are. A good set of driving gloves also helps with car control and safety. Apparel can be jeans, no shorts, and a long sleeve shirt is recommended. I also like to recommend a neck brace although not required. They help to limit head movement. Once you wear one, you’ll feel naked without it.

Everything will be explained it the Packet but let us know if you have any questions. Oh yeah, prepare to have fun!

Talk soon, John
Hi John,

I don't remember if I filled out the form requesting a helmet or not. If you have time can you send me an email or respond and let me know what options I have? I went and looked at buying one today, but SA rated buckets are pretty spendy, not to mention a little hard to find locally. I should have gotten on this sooner but I've been distracted with sick kid for a week now. Thanks,

Daryl (dlang14@verizon.net)
Old 05-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wooooohoooo.

Daryl,

Just saw your email... YES - you are one of the people who DID remember to check the form and paid your fees for your XLG helmet. You are set. It's nice to get one of these emails today vs. all the others with last minute reasons and excuses for not being ready or not making it last minute for whatever reasons... THANKS!

Back to packing.... DC
Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     
Default Also... clothing should be 100 percent cotton

or Nomex clothing for fire protection. Synthetics may be cooler however they will melt in a fire. In racing it's a BIG NO NO!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know it's hard, but please, try to stay calm!

Nugget bound in T-5hrs....

John