14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Just some WSCB YouTube Video

Just some Fernley video I threw up on You Tube for anyone that wants to watch.

YouTube - Project Ludicrous Speed WSCB2008 Track Day

More or less just lead and follow, I wasn't comfortable enough to do more...all in due time!

Sorry about the audio; apparently the mic in the camera wasn't rated for 130db. LOL!

Byron
Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Wow! What a cool instrument setup you have there. Are all the gauges big enough to read at speed? Looks like you had a gauge for every function imaginable! Great video!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Gauges

The instrument panel is a 12.1" touch screen. It's big and bulky because it's a 2000nits bright display intended for ships and is direct sunlight viewable. Behind the dash is a little minibox PC that runs custom software and interfaces to a SnEEC datalogger (a product I designed/sold for the EEC-IV Mustang for many years).

Right now, since I'm shaking down the car, the panel displays the kitchen sink. Can I read it all, hell no. However, I don't really need to. If something important goes wrong, the PC will flash the entire background of the dash either yellow or red depending on severity; and has the ability to do things like rev limit the engine, switch to an alternate (less aggressive) calibration, and so forth...if needed.

After this track experience, I can tell you that the only thing I'll have on the dash for "track mode" is RPM, MPH, and warning lights. I don't have time to look at anything else. In fact, I'm going to install a very loud sounder under the dash because I'm not sure I'd even see a flashing yellow/red background...my eyes are very much on the road.

Thanks for your compliments, I was really pleased with how it all worked...this was the first time I ever exercised the car at this level. I'm going to buy one of those gomotorsports cameras for an event in June...hopefully next time we'll have some decent audio.

Byron
Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

TROGDOR the BURNINATOR LIVES!!!!!

Looking good Byron!

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 05-20-2008, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pictures

Hey!

Hi Sal, I forgot to send pictures of the finished car. Here's some that a friend took at the bash car show. Better than anything I have...so here ya go.

Kodakgallery.com*Join now and receive beautiful photographic prints from your camera
Old 05-20-2008, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
Hey!

Hi Sal, I forgot to send pictures of the finished car. Here's some that a friend took at the bash car show. Better than anything I have...so here ya go.

Kodakgallery.com*Join now and receive beautiful photographic prints from your camera
Damn dude, that car's come a long way since a pile of parts in Charlie's yard!

You look good too, looks like you lost some pounds since last I saw you. I did too!

Who's the cutie in the car?

And what's with the drip pan?

All this and more, on the next episode of Trogdor TV!!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hehe

Yeah, 377lbs -> 297lbs in about 2yrs. On my way to 280; which is the current goal. It's all about ET's, nothing to do with diabetes or anything.

That's Kim, my friend Matts wife, and a real sweetheart. She took most of these photos; they made the trip out from Roseville to see the car. Matt is the other Engineer behind the SnEEC datalogger...the smarter one.

Drip pan is a requirement of the city. Much to my amazement, the car did not leak a drop of anything from anywhere. Not bad considering I fixed the last oil leak 3 days before the event.

I'd like to think that Charlie is pleased with what I've done with his car.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Byron
That Cobra looks like someone should give it a speeding ticket while its parked!

The poor audio sounds more like wind noise rather than high exhaust DB's. If the camera has a remote microphone jack, try it.

Make SURE your new camera has the remote mic. Nothing enhances a Cobra ride better than a great sounding engine/exhaust.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Suggestions Welcome

Yeah, I'm not wanting for power. I've reduced the pulley size 3 times and still have enough power to break the tires loose in 3rd at will. What the car really needs right now is a better driver.

The camera I'm using is a Casio Exilim ex-p505

Casio's five megapixel EXILIM Pro EX-P505 - Engadget

Unfortunately, it has no exernal mic feature. My first attempt was with the mic uncovered and it was very noisy. My second attempt was with electrical tape over the mic and the result you can see in that video...horrible.

I'm in the market for a cam that will work better.

I like this one: Digital Hero Camera Home but the video quality isn't as good as my ex-p505. For youtube it's fine, and since I guess that's how I share most video that would be an OK option. With the ex-p505, I get enough resolution where I can see all the dash needles and so forth...but I need audio.

Anyway, I'll get it figured out, thanks for the suggestions.

B
Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Damn...you were the dude on the go-ped?

We were next to each other and shared sh!ts and giggles, but no formal intros between us.

Hi!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Sorry about that!

I didn't think about introducing myself, sorry about that...we geeks are a bit socially inept. I knew who you were though; if that counts for anything. I just tried to stay out of the way and get a feel for the event as a newcomer...next time I'll be a bit less stressed and more social. I had a great time watching you guys run though, and am certainly looking forward to the next time. Thanks for the hello!

Byron
Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yeah, 377lbs -> 297lbs in about 2yrs. On my way to 280; which is the current goal. It's all about ET's, nothing to do with diabetes or anything.

That's Kim, my friend Matts wife, and a real sweetheart. She took most of these photos; they made the trip out from Roseville to see the car. Matt is the other Engineer behind the SnEEC datalogger...the smarter one.

Drip pan is a requirement of the city. Much to my amazement, the car did not leak a drop of anything from anywhere. Not bad considering I fixed the last oil leak 3 days before the event.

I'd like to think that Charlie is pleased with what I've done with his car.
That's great! I went from 345 to 250 in a year of eating right and going to the gym 2hrs a night 6 days a week. Then I moved to FL, LOL. Gained 45 lbs back, because all there is to freakin do here is eat. Nothing else is open late. But I'm back to the gym regularly and eating right, during the week at least.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Great!!!

Wow, you must look healthy at that weight. I look skinny at 240...If I can see 260 again someday, I'll be thrilled.

Byron
Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Hi Byron,

Great job! Your line and smoothness improved with every lap. I recommend 9:30 & 2:30 for hand position on the wheel at all times. Easy to practice when everyday driving. Loved seeing you acknowledging the corner workers on your cool-down lap. They noticed.

Would liked to have spent some time with you Byron. As you found out, big power in a light car is not all it seems when on the track. You also used good judgment driving within your own comfort zone. You did a beautiful job building your car and commend you for bringing it to the track for a shake down. Seemed like everything was working good for you.

Tell your brother happy birthday from all of us!

John
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I didn't think about introducing myself, sorry about that...we geeks are a bit socially inept. I knew who you were though; if that counts for anything. I just tried to stay out of the way and get a feel for the event as a newcomer...next time I'll be a bit less stressed and more social. I had a great time watching you guys run though, and am certainly looking forward to the next time. Thanks for the hello!

Byron
Well, when next we meet, I'll have my gas-powered go-ped to run against your Prius-powered go-ped...maybe some full contact NASCAR style runs?

Ya done good based on the video...damn good line.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsey View Post
Hi Byron,

Great job! Your line and smoothness improved with every lap. I recommend 9:30 & 2:30 for hand position on the wheel at all times. Easy to practice when everyday driving. Loved seeing you acknowledging the corner workers on your cool-down lap. They noticed.

Would liked to have spent some time with you Byron. As you found out, big power in a light car is not all it seems when on the track. You also used good judgment driving within your own comfort zone. You did a beautiful job building your car and commend you for bringing it to the track for a shake down. Seemed like everything was working good for you.

Tell your brother happy birthday from all of us!

John
Thanks boss! I was starting to learn the track and car and relax a little. I kept waiting for the big kaboom, sproing, or (in my case) blue screen of death. I was in no hurry to throttle bomb it and invoke spontaneous disassembly in the next turn. I'm patient...I'll pick up the pace as I improve and tweak/tune along the way. I scared myself enough whenever there wasn't a line of cars behind me coming into the next straight... and left it at that. I was very satisfied. Elated, actually...what a fantastic time!

My brother thoroughly enjoyed the ride...he'll be talking about that for a good long while; thanks for making it possible!

Byron
Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default You're ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Well, when next we meet, I'll have my gas-powered go-ped to run against your Prius-powered go-ped...maybe some full contact NASCAR style runs?

Ya done good based on the video...damn good line.
I'm ready for the GoPed showdown when you are and will start watching ebay for body armor. Bring it on fuel burner!

Beware though, I have one of these sitting on the shelf in the lab waiting for me to burn the stock motor up.

Robot MarketPlace - S28-400 Magmotor

Muahaha! Won't last as long, but I'm sure it will be very entertaining.

I was starting to pick up the track by the end of the day, but was getting tired enough that my mind was starting to go. When you forget what turn is coming next, it's time to go home and have a beer and a nap.

B

Last edited by ByronRACE; 05-20-2008 at 12:09 PM..
Old 05-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was starting to pick up the track by the end of the day, but was getting tired enough that my mind was starting to go. When you forget what turn is coming next, it's time to go home and have a beer and a nap.

B
Words of wisdom.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

B:
About the only way to get reasonable audio with video from inside a Cobra is to go to a "shotgun" external mic where you can get it out of the wind noise.
Short of a video camera it'll be very hard to accomplish.
DonC

Last edited by DonC; 05-22-2008 at 10:15 PM..
Old 05-23-2008, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Try...

I'm going to try something hoakie.

I'm going to hot-glue a can over the mic on the camera, and run a vacuum line to the engine bay.

The thought is that the tube will channel engine noise to the mic...which will be shielded from everything else.