Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #253 Silver/Black 358 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default New unlimited antique plate in IL

Starting Jan 1, 2012, Sec of State will have a new unlimited antique vehicle plate. It's $45 per year (more than antique plates, but 1/2 reg price). From April - Oct, there's unlimited driving about so you won't have to come up with a car show or service place to be going to or coming from. Although I hope to have my car out in March and Nov, the usual restrictions will be in place.

There's also a strange addition that will allow you to display a plate from the year of your car or representing the make or model, as long as your normal plates and registraton are also in the car. I'm hoping this will also be enough loophole so I don't have to mount the front plate. I almost picked up a 1965 plate at an antique store and might go back for it now. Although I won't be surprised if the police push to have this part repealed.

I'll be going to the DMV in Jan, so I can also get personalized plates, so I can get my first pick - but what I'll get will depend on how many digits will be allowed. Anyone else?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I have a personalized plate; But if I can get an antique one that would be Great I'm In !!!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

You will need a front plate with all plates, I do not like them either but if you get stopped for any reason it is an additional fine that you dont need.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I still haven't found a front plate mount that I like for the Cobra. Ed has made one for the Lotus that uses the front toe hook, but doesn't always remember to put it back on after track days. Yes, we've gotten harrassed, but only 1 additional ticket so far.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I checked their website on Jan 1...nothing.

I went to an SOS facility (level 3...full service)...nothing.

I called their Chicago central info number (given to me by the facility people)...nothing.

I called Springfield, got transferred twice (almost 3 times), finally got an answer:

They've known about this since November, they're hearing about it now from people looking for the plates, they'll get around to getting something available maybe in March, maybe not, no promises. And don't expect vanity or personalized versions to be available for a while.

No one outside of Springfield apparently knows about these.

The last number I called was (217) 785-3000 though you'd probably just be ticking them off if you called. "Just watch our website starting in March".

I bet the Kirkhams could produce a custom billet plate by the end of the week, and powdercoat it in whatever year colors match. I don't know when/if you could just use a plate from the year of the car yet or if that program is still 'under construction'.

Last edited by Sizzler; 01-04-2012 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: add-on
Old 01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Their site lists somewhere around 50 different license plates, plus all the special ones they issue every year for things like the Woodstock woodchuck roast or the Peoria anniversary square dance etc. One might expect that they know how to produce, issue and account for a new license plate series.

Probably need to hold a poker game to decide which crony gets the contract to actually produce the things since the precious prisoners can't be expected to do actual manual work anymore says the ACLU.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What a bummer! I was really looking forward to the new plate. The legislation was in process all last year, the SOS should have been ready for it.

Thanks for doing all that legwork! Yet again, our state is running backwards.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKIII, Clayton Racing 429
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbrown View Post
You will need a front plate with all plates, I do not like them either but if you get stopped for any reason it is an additional fine that you dont need.
From age 16 to age 58 I lived in IL and owned about 75 cars. (many of them were real eye candy to the cops). I never ran a front plate and was never stopped. (even when I got my collection of speeding tics) I don't know how I was so lucky! Now we live in TN and there don't use front plates....
Victory CrossRoads
Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Renlady...You mean you don't love the flesh colored antique plates that some color blind, non-car guy, Illinois politician that must have had a brain farting laughing jag when he proposed it... gave us? Talk about a road kill color combination...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2800, 427
Not Ranked     

I'll stick with my all year vanity "plate". Hopefully March to Nov.. December last year. I only go topless. So far not too cold for me. It was a bit nippy on I-90 last Easter driving to WI. No salt I'm good. Come on spring showers!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium SPF, 521 CID Gessford.
Not Ranked     

I get like one no front plate ticket every couple of years or so. No biggie.

With all antique plates, you can run a plate from the year the vehicle is titled so long as you have your original antique plates with you.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

One problem with buying and installing plates of the year you want is this Question that came up in our dealer news letter , Do you think you will be able to install any plate you buy at a flee market and not have it registered to you and your car ? You will be aloud to do this because you have current plates in the trunk ? Think about this ! What about ID the car parked , stolen or if you have renewed you plates ,witness to a accident an you just change you flee market plates and know one is wiser to your real ownership ! Not going to happen ! The whole reason for plates goes out the window.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is one of the things I thought of when I first read the legislation. That's why I thought it odd that it would pass with that statement in it. Although I would not take advantage of this, I'd never leave the scene of an accident, run through tolls, or other tomfoollery, I do see the problem.
On the flip side, I'm aggravated that a new option for antique plates passed legislation, but aren't actually available.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renlady View Post
... a new option for antique plates passed legislation, but aren't actually available.

Typical, "Our Gubberment at work!"

Ralph
Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, March is pretty much over and no sign of this plate option on their website.

I have been mysteriously/suddenly subject to a few 'verifications/inspections' by the SOS department. These things don't make you go 'hmmmmm' in Illinois, they're to be expected. No thanks needed for taking the bullets.

I'm getting the same treatment from two other State Agencies, Agriculture and the Fuel-burning police, just because I asked a couple of (I thought) innocuous questions.

Oh well, the wait continues....wonder what they'll hit me with next?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They must be trying to figure out what you're up to.

And on that note, how the heck do you get the attention of Dept of Ag or fuel-burning in Chicago?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Evidently, the extended use antique plate came out on April Fool's Day. The plates come from Springfield only, so be prepared to have another temp plate while you are waiting. I went ahead and ordered a personalized plate, so I get to wait for that to be made in Canada and sent to me. I can't be positive, but they might be silver instead of the regular tan AV plates. But also be prepared to be at the DMV for over an hour to find someone who knows what you are talking about and then while they figure out their own paperwork!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Expanded-Use Antique License Plates

They apparently went all out and are offering personalized plates as well.

Annual renewal.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five with EFI 5.0 w/ other stuff bolted on
Not Ranked     

All I see is a B&W rendering...worse than flesh-tone. I'll stick with my regular tags until someone in springfield pulls their head out!