Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #253 Silver/Black 358 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default No front plate ticket

Well, my knocking on wood let me down today.

I very carefully pulled out onto the road after work - no burnout, no squealing tires, no roaring engine - as I had spotted a cop car tucked into the next alley. He pulled me over within less than 500 feet for no front plate.

Ticket is $25 and fix in 10 days. So I need a front plate mount. I've read thru the old posts about mounting ideas. I like the idea of hanging the plate so that it moves out of the way when cruising, or building something that can fold down and stow the plate when parked.

Thoughts?
Other cool ideas?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Finishline has them.................
http://www.finishlineaccessories.com...roducts_id=178

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 05-05-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Another alternative.

Altec Retractable License Plate Holder - 400EU
Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

I used a retractable plate made for a late model vette. I raised the oil cooler 2" inches & mounted the bracket in the bottom section of the oil cooler opening. I now flip it up & down via a key fob switch. It also acts as a sort of air blocking/damper for my oil cooler when its cold out side. Up, it helps the oil stay a little warmer & down it drops the oil temp down about 7 to 10 degrees. Here in the North East; it works the Balls! Plus people really get a kick out of seeing the plate go up & down. They see it as some kinda "James Bond car/gadget" thingy! It cost about $150. at rpidesigns.com part# C6PRLF. The site also show a little video of one in action on a vette. It works good for pesky cops too!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

You could just add a street front hoop then mount to it like they did in the 60's...
Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

What about mounting the plate on cable clamps by drilling the plate so the cable clamps are in the center of the plate. the plate can ride at 45 Degrees and push air up into your grille. That's what I'm going to do. I'll probably add a rubber stopper of some sort on the top of the plate to keep it from scratching if it moves.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

I have one on my SPF similar to the Finishline part. Mine was made by the original developer of this particular mount. Works great, and since I drive mine most every day I have no worries.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Not meaning to high jack this thread, did anyone happen to see the price on the Roush hood scoop in the link in the third post??

Roush Hood Scoop - 401345
Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
Not meaning to high jack this thread, did anyone happen to see the price on the Roush hood scoop in the link in the third post??

Yeah, but it has FREE SHIPPING
Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

Do any of you have a link or know of one of these that would work on a Daytona Coupe just in case I have to add one? Remember The front end of the Coupe is not the same as the Cobra and there really isn't a lot to work with.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post

Nice looking. I ordered one for my Toyota Yaris.

David
Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the idea of the retractable one, even as expensive as it is. Although it would be nicer if it didn't have to be spliced into the car's wiring. Although I also like the idea of not spending that much additional money to get this ticket to go away.

Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em comin'!

Last edited by Renlady; 05-06-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five with EFI 5.0 w/ other stuff bolted on
Not Ranked     

I mounted mine in the oil cooler opening. You can read it without any problem. A number of my cop friends say that it was plenty legal. If I got a ticket with it that way, the cop was just being a dick.
Sten
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

I would just pay the ticket and not do anything more, well, that's usually what I have done. Front plates just ruin the look, although these retractable ones are really neat. I might just build one myself.

And that cop was being a dick. The majority of cops turn an eye on front plates for these kind of cars, well, at least that's what a police officer told me when I asked him.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Move to Delaware. We don't have any front plates,
Old 05-06-2012, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

These crappy little towns are using there auxiluary police officers (AKA Retired shoe salesmen) to enforce these plate laws as they are a geat source of income for the city. It's even against the law in Illinois to have any kind of protective cover over a plate in Illinois thanks to the efforts of our last governor who is now making plates in jail. Perhaps these officers should check out the parking lots where police & fireman park and ticket all the Corvettes with no front plates.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
These crappy little towns are using there auxiluary police officers (AKA Retired shoe salesmen) to enforce these plate laws as they are a geat source of income for the city. It's even against the law in Illinois to have any kind of protective cover over a plate in Illinois thanks to the efforts of our last governor who is now making plates in jail. Perhaps these officers should check out the parking lots where police & fireman park and ticket all the Corvettes with no front plates.
Amen.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avmaviator View Post
I would just pay the ticket and not do anything more, well, that's usually what I have done. Front plates just ruin the look, although these retractable ones are really neat. I might just build one myself.

And that cop was being a dick. The majority of cops turn an eye on front plates for these kind of cars, well, at least that's what a police officer told me when I asked him.
I agree that the front plate diminishes the look of the car.

It's my opinion that the cop had seen the car in the parking lot and was waiting for me to come out and get on the road. Which is even more irritating to me, although why he would hang around for a $25 ticket is crazy.

The problem with paying and doing nothing is that when I'm pulled over next time, I get a $150 ticket for non-compliance. And it just keeps going up from there. I've heard the cops in this town can be a little crazy and now I know. But as I live in another town nearby, I'm not sure I want to play that game.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Consider it a tax. If you don't get points pay it and move on.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     
Default Front Plate for Daytona Coupe

Ron61:

I have tried to figure one out, with only limited success. Fortunately, I haven't been ticketed for no front plate (got stopped once and warned verbally). I think you could make a horizontally mounted v-shaped bracket (with the apex at the headlight end) that runs from the bottom front of the headlight relief to the inner lip of the radiator opening. You would have to drill three holes, but they would not be noticeable and if the bracket were removed, you could get nice little rubber plugs for them.

Possible?

grybrd123
SPC123