• 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III # 2223 427R
Not Ranked     
Talking Another new guy who took the Cobra plunge

Hi all! I finally gave in and picked up a used Superformance Mk III 427 R with about 5k miles in Galaxy blue from D&M motorsports yesterday. I saw a sticker on the car that said Windy City Cobras and thought I'd check it out. I'd rather be out on the roads, but since the weather stinks, I'm on the boards!

I saw the prior post about the snake and eggs and will try to make it up there on Sat (it's early but I'm gonna do my best). Can any of you help with some questions I have? Any input is most appreciated.

First question is about the emergency brake. I admit my folly here and that I left it on for about 5 minutes while driving at around 30mph. I'm still not used to no warning light like on my Porsche (no excuse)! Did I screw this thing up already?

I'd like to also ask... how do I find out what transmission I have? I know it is a Tremec, but I'm not sure how to find out which model... how much of a difference is there between a TKO 500 or a non-TKO version?

Do any of you autocross with your Cobras? I used to be involved when I lived in Southern Indiana and was finally looking to get into it here. I was going to race my 911 turbo but I think I'd like to see if I can get my skills up there with the Cobra (plus, the 911 has been in the shop for months while they beef it up).

Cheers!

Here is the link from D&M with pics of the car: D & M Motorsports:: 1965 Superformance Cobra MKIII -
timmil likes this.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum. Very nice. lets see how long it takes for people to comment on the Ta's.
Hope you put on a few more miles and get to enjoy the car. Once I get mine finished, I want to drive it as much as possible.
Good luck with it.
JD
Old 08-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

That's a beautiful color. Regarding your hand brake, if it holds on an average hill, everything's fine. If it doesn't, it needs adjustment. Half the time they don't hold anyway so cut yourself some slack and, if it doesn't hold, just assume it's always been that way. Regarding your transmission, it's probably a TKO600, but this page will show you how to read the tag that will be on the passenger side of the trans (under the car). SCOF - How to determine your Transmission type
Old 08-26-2012, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I'm lucky if my e brake holds in my driveway.....

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I'm lucky if my e brake holds in my driveway.....
Uhhh, maybe there's a section on that in the CSX manual....
Old 08-26-2012, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhh, maybe there's a section on that in the CSX manual....
On page 18 it specifies, "When parking on a hill with a greater than 5% grade, leave in gear and turn wheels into curb before engaging parking brake."

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 08-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
On page 18 it specifies, "When parking on a hill with a greater than 5% grade, leave in gear and turn wheels into curb before engaging parking brake."
OK, that was good. But not as good as the fact that I just played "quixotic" on Words With Friends.
Ozzie Goat likes this.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III # 2223 427R
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Thanks so much! As soon as the weather clears up here, I will give that hill brake a try. I'm sure this guy will be up on a lift soon enough and I will check out the trans.

How many of you guys (and gals!) drive your cobra in the rain? Are there nagging long term consequences if it gets wet regularly?

Nice job, too, on the Words with Friends. Just don't play it on the plane or you will end up like Baldwin.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

congrats on the purchase, that's a great color!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

My parking brake doesn't work and never has since I owned it. I should try and fix it, but I found it was such a pain to release I decided to leave it alone and park with it in gear. It is likely you didn't hurt it driving around because it won't hold the car. Find out who built your Cobra if you can. Perhaps D&M knows. The installer will have more info on the trans and other stuff you may find interesting about your new baby. Most likely you have a TKO 600.

I've tried the autorcross and had fun. You find out pretty quickly it is hard to beat the little imports! I want to buy some comp tires like Hoosiers, but maybe next year. Have fun! What a beautiful Cobra you have!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

You have a driveshaft mounted parking brake I assume. Most likely, if you drove any distance with it on, you have glazed the disk and pad. It doesn't take much to toast the unit, especially the pad. Send me an email offline and I'll send you the adjustment / installation directions. My contact info is below.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Regarding your hand brake. Yes. Driving 30mph for 5 minutes with the handbrake engaged will render it totally inoperative. (Though it could be readjusted pretty easily.) That's the bad news. The good news is, who cares? The Superformance handbrake should be considered a purely decorative piece that lends some authenticity to the car's interior. Perfectly adjusted and working at it's ultimate, I would NEVER trust the handbrake to keep my car from rolling when parked. That's what first gear is for.
Quote from Bob Olthoff:
"These cars come with two guarantees - the roof leaks and the handbrake doesn't work."
Drive On!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

au contraire,
My handbrake has never failed me in its function as long as it was properly adjusted and my car was parked in my garage on a level floor with the garage door shut so a siff breeze didn't move the car.

Seriously though: I have often wondered if a lever added to the linkage of the parking brake assembly would increase its applied pressure to the friction pads. But I believe you would then easily snap the handle (A $450 cosmetic item) when applying the additional force.

Having just come back from San Francisco, I could see how a properly operating parking brake would be a necessity. Even to hold the car in place on a hill while transfering your foot from the brake to the gas pedel. I had problems keeping an automatic from rolling backwards in a few places.

I had a different compond brake pad made at Sadisfied Brakes years ago.
I have the Wilwood Spot brakes on mine. It helped some, but the cost, import requirements, and effort to produce them made it a impossible choice. Also the volume would be so low... not an option.

Carry a rock or color coded brick with a rope on it...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As far a rain, I have had my FFR in the rain several times. If you keep going at 35 or more, you will stay mostly dry. IF you must stop then I recommend a golf umbralla (6 ft) which will cover the whole driver & passenger compartment.

The biggest issue is the tires, some have tires mostly for track days and it can be like driving on ice. I have GY Eagles and they are great, not cheap, but great in the rain and OK on the track. I also do not have a big block with huge amounts of torque, so that makes it easier also.

Suggest you try to make the WCCC Snake & Eggs Sept 1. See my thread on that subject.

Hope to meet you soon.

Lee
Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Not Ranked     

I just repaired my e brake on my BDR car, it didn't work when I got it new FYI-the cable was off of the track at the handle and the shoes were out of adjustment. There is an adjustment at the handle as well. Now the car will stay in one place but its no real brake, plus if I pull the thing hard enough to put real pressure on it I think I would rip the floor right out of the car-its a joke as most have implied here.

Beautiful car enjoy it!!! I've had mine for about 8 months and its been an adventure for sure-I have found myself saying that I wish I would have bought a low mileage "sorted out" car instead though the things I've had to do have made me rather familiar with the thing so I suppose that is a good thing
Old 08-27-2012, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #253 Silver/Black 358 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Welcome to a great group!

There are a few people who track and autocross their cars. I've taken mine out at Blackhawk Farms only to learn that it doesn't handle like most modern cars and I need to learn a whole new set of skills to drive it better on the track.

The guys here know that I am crazy enough to take mine out in the rain - or at least stop to put on the top and then continue driving. I don't recommend it. My tires are probably rated as "decent", but taking a R turn too fast resulted in sliding across 2 lanes, a painted median (thank goodness), and into the oncoming traffic lane. Luckily, there was no one else on that stretch of road, and I was able to ease it back over where I was supposed to be. It can be one heck of an adrenaline rush.

I do use my handbrake when I park, but sometimes it can be a struggle to get it to release afterwards. But if on an incline in a parking lot, I'll also leave it in gear or shove a chock under a tire (yes, I do keep one handy).

Have fun driving and hope to see you at S&E.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default avons

also buy a set of avon tires from roger krause racing.
they are amazing .
great car , congrats
Old 08-28-2015, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2607 Roush 427IR 8-stack EFI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
You have a driveshaft mounted parking brake I assume. Most likely, if you drove any distance with it on, you have glazed the disk and pad. It doesn't take much to toast the unit, especially the pad. Send me an email offline and I'll send you the adjustment / installation directions. My contact info is below.
I need help with this, shoot me a PM if you are still around. Thanks
Old 08-28-2015, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm still kicking.
My email is below.