Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Shelby Cobra 408W
Not Ranked     
Default Driving Schools / Auto Cross

First off - happy new years to everyone. Hope everyone had an enjoyable and safe holiday!

I bought my cobra a week or so ago and am already anxious to find a great place to learn how to properly drive such a beast (far different from some of the other rides - blower mustang, vettes, etc. that I have owned). Has anyone participated or tried out any driving schools or auto cross events near the Chicago-land area? If so, could you point me to a website where I can learn more about what I need to sign up and participate.

Thanks guys - much appreciated.

-Ryan
Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Chicago Region SCCA
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep - just joined.. now the waiting begins for the weather to get better! Thanks guys for the comments / info.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #253 Silver/Black 358 Windsor
Not Ranked     

We do track days at Blackhawk Farms and Autobahn with the Lotus Corps and the Audi Club. I've seen Cobras at both of those tracks, although I learned that mine would need some serious mods before I take it out there again.

I was given a card at one of the car shows about doing Autocross with the Miata Club, if you'd be interested, I can post that here. She said their events are open to everyone.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What mods do you think are necessary before you go back? Was there a handling characteristic that the cobra exhibited that was surprising to you? I would be interested at the event at the autobahn club. Who hosted that one and did you have to preregister or join something before hand? Thanks for the info!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I am far from any kind of great racer, but I was surprised I had as much understeer as i did. There was plenty of oversteer, but that was no surprise. I knew the steering effort would be high, but we did 3 laps on each event and after the third lap I was exhausted! the steering effort is a real work out. Yep, I'm an old man, but I was still surprised! The Michilen tires didn't help. I have already bought a spare set of wheels and plan to get autocross tires. Autocross tires should be sticky when cold. As an autocrosser, you usually don't get a chance to run on hot tires. The track and sliding around will tend to give more road rash. I always run with a bra and probably need tape on the front of the rear fenders.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought there would be that much understeer either..especially with a small block and less weight up front. Looking forward to the experience. I also was thinking about the manual steering / effort required - can you image the guy back in the day racing this thing for a long period of time!

Regarding the road rash, did you notice anything major after the event? Never though about that, but I guess all that sliding around / hard handling would take a toll on the body panels that are exposed a bit.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

nothing major, but wondered if I may have been better off to put up some tape on the body. I already have the clear vinyl stuff part of the way up, but maybe could have used a little blue painters masking tape for more protection.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #253 Silver/Black 358 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral34c;1****07
What mods do you think are necessary before you go back? Was there a handling characteristic that the cobra exhibited that was surprising to you? I would be interested at the event at the autobahn club. Who hosted that one and did you have to preregister or join something before hand? Thanks for the info!
My car only has lap belts, no harnesses, and only one roll hoop for the driver. The Lotus Corps events require the same safety gear for the instructor that the driver has, so I'd have to add a second hoop. My hubby would want a complete new engine, brakes, and a whole mess of stuff if I decide that I really want to be a track rat.

I did get to take it out on lunch-time touring, which has a speed limit of "70", which may or may not have been followed. I should also note that the only drive line I have really learned is for a Lotus Elise, which turns on a dime and uses a lot of hard braking and late apexing. The warm-up lap was fine, although it felt like it took some wrestling with the car to go through the turns. The Cobra is fabulous on the straights, as short as they are. But coming down into turn 1 after the "long" straight, I practically stood on the brakes and turned the wheel, only to find that I am still headed straight for the grass. After the third try at the wheel, I did manage to keep it on the asphalt and through the turn, but it was a close call (from my point of view). I've been told I need to learn trail braking, but haven't gotten to that stage yet.

I think the Autobahn event we go to is hosted by LAPP. I'll pass on the information when we get it for this year.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like so much fun! Please do pass along the LAPP info when you have it. Hope to see you there!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Send me a PM with your contact information. I would like to invite you to our Holiday Party and we can discuss more. If you cannot attend then our next snake and eggs will be in March.

Note, Renlady has a superformance and you have a FFR and so do I. I am not sure but there could be differences in the set up.

That is I think Renlady cobra will be a full independent suspension, while we have a solid rear axle. I have 5 link and torsen diff. and single adj. coil overs with Eibach springs all from Levy. What are you running in yours??

I ran mine once on a track before the 5 link and torsen.

Lee
Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No problem, I will send you my info.

My FFR was Levy assembled with their stage 5 408, adjustable front upper control arms, IRS (8.8 w/3.73) and the 4 wheel wildwood brake package. Have not had much spirited driving with it yet so I am interested to see how it does. Maybe I will take it to an open lot some time soon just to get a feel for her.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1454
Not Ranked     

As stated earlier... the Windy City Miata Club runs a bunch of auto x events every summer. I've done a few. Pretty inexpensive way to have some fun.

Look them up. There were all sorts of different makes and models there.