Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2004, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B w/FRPP 347ci 450HP Crate
Send a message via AIM to OhBuoy
Not Ranked     

From what I hear, you did pretty good in Mark's car. I seem to remember a story about his car smelling like smoked clutch for a week after one of his generous "let's take a spin" rides. I remember being at Rick's house and Mark handing the keys to Rick and saying "she need's to go for a ride" to Rick. Rick's wife had never been in a Cobra, so Mark handed over the keys to someone he had met only on a few occasions. The smile on her face when they came back in a misty rain was priceless. Mark is a true gentleman, and I only hope that I can be as generous when my car is on the road. I have to admit, I do have reservations about letting someone else drive a car that I built. A car that is squirly to begin with, let alone that I will need to build trust in myself.

Hat's off to you Mark!!!! And Jeff, it is all over now!!! You have been bit bad!!! When I got bit, I had never driven one. In fact, mine was a subtle bite, and I did not realize that I was bit until a year later when I decided to follow up on my dream to build a kit car. Until last Sunday when I took an illicit ride in my recently painted car, I had not driven a Cobra on the street before (I have always been afraid to admit this around Mark because I was too afraid to drive his car!). I had venom running through my blood up until that time. After that quick trip around the block, that venom has awoken with a vengance that I cannot describe. A 2.5 year build has been accelerated. The quick trip around the block came to an end back in my driveway after I realized that I only had first gear, and then on the third turn, the accelerator stuck. First gear only dude, and this was a blast, I got 4 to go in what I myself consider to be probably a weak motor. I was so p*ssed that the trans was screwed up, but things happen for a reason, and this reason was probably to avoid me from going further than "around the block", because I do not know if I could stop myself. The car went into the garage forward for the first time under it's own power. It had gone up and down the driveway many times under its own power before. It went up on jack stands, the tranny came out, and a new one was ordered. Meanwhile, the windshield went in, the carpet is in, and my checklist is getting shorter. I am down to a punch list and installing the tranny before I take it for inspection.

Good luck on where your decision takes you. I think you considered B&B at some time. My B&B is comming together, and Bob Sutton's is a great completed B&B. I have heard of others in the club that are also fine examples, but I have not seen them myself yet. There are pros and cons of both cars. The initial cost of the kit has little to do with what you spend in the end, so let the other factors decide.

Tom
Old 03-16-2004, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default First Ride

Hello Everybody,
It was my pleasure to take Jeff for a short ride, it has been a long winter. My little roadster is very mild compared to most of yours and that is OK with me. Because it is so mild letting other people try it is not a problem. If she had 500 HP, no one in there right mind would let anyone try it because even with half the hp she can be a hand full. By the way, if anyone would like to see my receipts, I spent just under $24K complete and I have a soft top, heater, wipers and PIN Drive wheels. I did not spend any money on a good radio and that might be the difference. I did all the work except the body and paint (Bill's Auto Body and Restoration $2500 unless you need red paint). I will admit every time the Fast Ford and Mustang mag comes out, I find ways of spending a lot more and someday I may, but right now I'm happy with my little dream come true. Becides how else would I have gotten to meet all you great people. Enjoy life, it is the only one you get.
Mark
Old 03-18-2004, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     
Default Down to Business

Ok men, I need some specific questions answered and/or discussed. As you can probably tell by now I am trying my best to learn from you guys and keep the "Oh ****s" to a minimum. Along the way we will probably learn some things, be made aware of new ideas and pool resources. As best as I am able I want to try and put out some new threads that are relatively close to the build process. This could be a great resource anyone building, updating or even wondering about building an AC Cobra Replica. Soooo teach me/us.

Lets take a look at tools on new thread "Build Tools"

Thanks guys and hope to see ya there.

Jeff