28 29 30        
Old 05-18-2004, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - Blue W/ Silver Stripe
Not Ranked     
Default Shipping Cars to The Spring Fling

DVSF will be here before we know it.

I have had a couple of conversations with people considering shipping cars to the Spring Fling via truck. I decided to call Stewart Transport to see how much it would cost/ how many cars fit on the truck etc.
For those of you that do not know them. Stewart Transport ships most of the cars for Factory Five. They know these cars very well and will certianly HANDLE WITH CARE.
So here's the deal. They can move 8 cars in an enclosed trailer. They would pick up all the cars at a central location on Thursday and drive straight to the Fling. They would arrive the same day. They will wait over the weekend and make the return trip on Monday. The complete quote is $2,500 each way/ $5,000 round trip. That would be $ 625 per car. Frankly, that seemed a bit high. They gave me names of other Companies that I could check-out but they assured me the cost would be about he same. The problem is we are paying for the time over the week end. It is not long enough to go someplace else and get a load so we are paying for the truck and driver to sit.
At ant rate, is there any interest? Should I pursue or drop the idea?
Like I said, time is getting short, so if we are seriously considering we need to move.

Rich Musson
Old 05-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

From what I have seen in previous years that is not that bad of a price. How about driving them? Nothing like a long road trip in a Cobra.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Hey Rich,
You may want to contact Gary Dyck, I believe he was thinking about it at one point.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B w/FRPP 347ci 450HP Crate
Send a message via AIM to OhBuoy
Not Ranked     

Rich,

I am still looking at renting an open trailer for mine. Trailer rental is going to be in the neighborhood of $400 for an open trailer. So, $625 does not seem like a bad price for anyone wishing to pursue this option. Personally, I prefer to trailer mine because depending upon the state of my car, I might end up having to trailer it anyways.

If there are not enough cars from Chicago, I know some of the East Coast guys were looking at a similar arrangement. Maybe you could tag onto one of their shipments.

Tom

Tom
Old 05-19-2004, 07:24 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

HEY!!! I've got an idea: Check around and you might be able to find some college kid to drive the car there for ya! I mean, what the heck, they're all out for the summer looking for jobs. I'm sure you could find someone to drive it out to Ohio, hang around in the sun for a few days and drive it back.

Ah, just drive it!

Awright, awright, I'll go now...

Lowell
Old 05-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Heck Rich,
for $600.00
I'll drive the car there!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Car #17 Backdraft Racing - Red/Pearl white stripes & 302
Send a message via AIM to Jetlaag
Not Ranked     

Hey guys,

I too was interested in trailering my car down. However I haven't found a place to rent a flatbed from yet. Anyone know who to call for this??

Rich, I called the guys I have used before which is Goldrush Motersports. They quoted my $1000/car as they can only fit 6 cars on because it is a solid lift gate and solid floors, which is good for very low cars. The only way you can fit 8 cars in an enclosed trailer is to have them cantilevered which means they have to be driven onto the truck ramps and I know my car is to low for that.

Still thinking about it. Maybe I'll have to drive it?? With no top though doesn't sound that fun with these wicked summer storms.

Jack
Old 05-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pull it to Da fling

Hey Jack,

There's quite a few places that will rent a flat bed
car hauler trailer.
Uhaul has some but the one's in the city are a pain.
There's a guy in Villa Park Advantage trailers I think he rents them.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Guys,
Stewart transports a lot of CObras for us. They do stack them but not "cantilevered", but flat on their own racks. Their tail gate is really cool! Opens up horizontal to the ground, drops straight down, you drive on to the ramp, (better than most driveways!), they then simply pick it up to the proper level and drive it to it's parking place.

Safe, locked down, and CLEAN! Comes off just like you put it on.

This year is starting to get really, really big! An amazing family we have here, simply amazing.

DV...Any bets that the IV brings in more than 300 CObras? Don't bet against it! "WE" are family!
Old 05-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked