Old 05-10-2005, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     
Default Convex Side View Bullet Mirrors:

They are finally back in stock....Convex Side View Bullet Mirrors:
Not the cheep stick-on convex glass...
A complete mirror unit or just the replacement convex glass with bowl...looks original...
Standard 3.5" diameter. and a larger 4" diameters....(watch your fender clearances)
"THEY ACTUALLY WORK AS MIRRORS WITH THESE"
Ask for Mike - Mention "Windy City Cobra Club" for best price...

GTClassic Products,
810 West Kingsmill,
Pampa, Texas 79065,

Blas
Old 05-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Blas,

How is the original side mirror removed from an SPF?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Remove the phillips screw at the end of the teardrop...
The glass bowl comes off in your hand...
Locate and remove the two screws at the bottom of the mirror base...
The base comes off in your hand...
There are two screws holding a clip to the body...Here is where you ask yourself..."Am I feeling Lucky"... Sometimes they are just two screws into the fiberglass...But I have been told that occasionally, either by a factory worker on a bad day, or a previous owner, a bolt with a nut inside the footwell was used...
You might be able to check inside the footwell first for a nut attachment first...Either way it's a 5 min or a 30 min job to replace.
FYI...There are also instructions on the SCOF Website's tech section...
The replacement bowl with the convex glass will replace the existing flat glass and bowl on your SPF....
PM me if you need additional info...
Good luck...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Blas:
Thanks for the heads up on the mirrors. I've been looking for a couple of convex bowls. Spoke to GT Classics and I'm on their list for the next batch.
DonC
PS. You going to the Fling or London?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do they have a website? I am interested in possibly a 4" if it looks in keeping with the car. I would like to see what the mirror look like. My current SPF mirror is virtually useless.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Carroll,

That's the same issue I'm hoping to resolve. I spoke with Mike at GT Classic Products yesterday afternoon. He expects another shipment of replacement bowls with convex glass in a couple of weeks. He took my phone number and added my name to the list of interested buyers; I hope to hear from him when the shipment arrives.

After the side mirror is replaced, I plan on tackling the windshied wipers...
Old 05-11-2005, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If interrested parties send me a PM with your email addresses, I'll send you a photo of the 4" mirror installed on my car...
Oh and if anyone has a solution to those decrorative items referred to a windshield wipers...I'd love to hear about it...
Old 05-11-2005, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Blas, Thanks for the thread!! you have PM! I tried a Auto-zone convex piece of ka-ka .... the optic quality was a joke.

Anything for a high quality panaramic lense for the riew view mirror that sits on top of the dash..?
Old 05-11-2005, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Photo
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2005, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 1694, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

I bought the $5 convex 3.5"stick on side mirror from Superformance in Ross, Ohio. Its a big improvement, though the 4" Blas has sourced sounds wise, as accidents are much more expensive than mirrors. If clearance is a problem, just make a spacer to lift the whole unit up off the fender 1/4".

But wait! There's more...at Pep Boys I got a 11 3/4 panoramic wide angle rear view mirror to replace the authentically-dangerous stock rear view mirror. The stock mirror is clamped, so to make the new one work, I used a Dremel mototool to make top and bottom matching channels. This is such an enormous improvement, much better than just improving the sidemirror. The new mirror is KSource item RM010 and costs $10.

Since I am trying to enjoy my Superformance without getting rained on, I am going to contact Riggs in Villa Park to make the soft top metal hoops hinged. Just pulling up the top sounds a lot more practical than the current soft top installation hassle. Yeah, it wouldn't look authentic to have the soft top ready to deploy easily, but I still remember how instantly soaked I got at the Joliet autocross.

Bill
Old 05-23-2005, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In regards to the SPF rear view mirror. I drive with my hardtop on. With the orriginal mirror placement, you could not see out the back. I believe that this problem occurs with the soft top on. I machined about a two inch base mouth under the mirror mount. This rases the mirror by two inches. I also put the mount with the extended arm length available from Dynamic on top of my base. My mirror is thus attached to the original base of the car body (not the wire on the glass like the current models). Covering my mirror is an attachable very wide sightly convex panoramic mirror with a coating to cut down on glare. I can see out the back from my head on the left to the edge of the wrap around windshield of the hardtop on the right. My right potential "blind spot" is covered. My mounting arrangement cuts down on the mirror share but does not stop it. The only "blind spot" is on the driver's side rear quarter panel area. With my seat belts on, I can not turn to glance to see if a car is in the way. I tried the stick on convex mirror, but it distorted distances too much. I want a mirror that shows more but does not distort distances too much (i.e., things are closer that they appear). What do these mirrors do in terms of vision area covered and distortion?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This new side mirror glass is not as extreme an angle as the paste on “Fish Eye” convex mirrors I have tried in the past. It also looks factory and not like the paste-on’s which protrude from the mirror bowl. It uses the original mirrors teardrop already mounted to the car. It is available in a 4” size; replacing the 3.5” original mirror bowl assembly. (I think both dia’s. are available) Depending how you have your mirror adjusted, you may need to double the thickness of the black plastic gasket between the mirror base and the body so the bowl does not contact the body. There is no more distortion in this mirror than on a main-stream car’s side mirror. You can also purchase the entire mirror assembly if you like from them, should the 4” diameter be and issue. There are many different mirror manufacturers and I have seen 3 of 4 different style mirrors on SPF’s….so the 4” option may not be for everyone….cut a paper 4” circle to answer that age old question…”Are you feeling lucky”
Hopefully the picture says it all, I have others if anyone needs them.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Get your 4" bullet std or wide angle from www.cobraspares.com. For a rear view mirror that works, use any GM or Ford stick on rear view mirror. Glue the metal tab on the inside of the windshield with the special adhesive, then hang the mirror on. Any auto supply store. Works just like a real car.