LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B w/FRPP 347ci 450HP Crate
Send a message via AIM to OhBuoy
Not Ranked     
Default Sid's Car

Has it started back up yet? I have my fingers crossed for him!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 460 big block, 850 Demon, 5 speed tremec TKO, Titanium Silver w/ Charcoal stripes
Not Ranked     

What happened to Sids car??
FFR#3169 BBF460ci, Carb, Tremec TKO, Titanium
Old 06-29-2005, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

On the way back from OH we stopped for gas. My motor would not stay running. So we had something to eat and got wrenching. Still did not start. BTW I would like to thank Keith for being the tester for the coil...Nothing works better then licking your finger and putting it on the coil while I crank the starter!

Trailered it to Fred's place. Rich M stopped by to help me yesterday. Took the fuel apart. Found some crap in it. Rich also noticed the fuel line that came off the hardline from the tank was going up near the headers. Looks like a combo of crap in the tank getting sucked in and fuel line too close to the headers. Fired up just find after we got it all together and even took the cobra to the Schaumburg car show on 72 and barrington.

Sid
Old 06-29-2005, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B w/FRPP 347ci 450HP Crate
Send a message via AIM to OhBuoy
Not Ranked     

Good to hear that you got it running again. Keep you chin up, we have all experienced these pains. You would think that the one thing I could have gotten right on my car would be a wire crimp!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 460 big block, 850 Demon, 5 speed tremec TKO, Titanium Silver w/ Charcoal stripes
Not Ranked     

Good to hear it was minor. If this was your only problem so far after a fresh build you are damn lucky or damn good as a mechanic.
Rick.
FFR#3169 BBF460ci, Carb, Tremec TKO, Titanium
Old 06-29-2005, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - Blue W/ Silver Stripe
Not Ranked     

Looks like it was just the way the fuel line was routed. The flexible line was too long for the distance from the hard line to the fuel pump. It came off of the hard line at a 45 degree angle and went to with in and 1" or so of the exhaust header. Then made a 90 degree turn and when down to where it was attached to the frame.
That put a fairly steep slope and a sharp turn in the line just under the header.
Sid was running down the highway just fine - we stopped for gas and the problem started. So, I hope it was just the ‘cool’ fuel in the line stopped moving. Since it was sitting next to the hot header it simply vapor locked. (At least I hope that was the problem – since that issue is now fixed)
Like Sid said we took the fuel pump apart – some small amount of ‘foreign material’ – nothing serious. We shortened the line and made sure it was clear – we blew then out & believe me the lines were clear. (Gas was definitely flowing).
I don’t know how much of the build can be attributed to skill, sleep deprivation or luck.
However, I must stay that Sid should definitely be given the prize for having the most nerve of anyone in the club. It took real guts to drive the car that far – that soon after completion.
Three cheers for Sid!!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

For those of you that almost lost a finger or two while trying to get the header bolts in I would like to say instead of two missing bolts its down to 1!!!! I got the one in on the driver side. I sat back for a moment and thought..."What would Rich Shelby do?" So i just took a shorter ARP bolt I already had and grinded off the flange on the bolt! I love the Dremel tool! I cranked down on it and got about 3 threads into the head. Now all I need is a perfectly designed hammer to make a dent in the header on the Pass side so I can get that last bolt in.

Sid
Old 06-30-2005, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Manufacturing,351 SVO stroker from Bennett Racing
Not Ranked     

That's the thing about the headers I got.... they came pre dented

I tell ya Sid I am truly proud of all the work you have put into your car to get it to OH in record time. Going from passenger to driver in less than a year takes a lot of drive to make it happen.

BTW thanks for giving me a kick in the pants to help me get my act together and be in London. Will be there in '06 definitely!

J.A.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

J.A.

Good to see you again and wish we had more time to hang out more. Tell Sam he was a blast to hang out with! I went on a ride with him in the autox on sunday. That was fun!

The cobra getting finished pretty much had nothing to do with me except for keeping the credit card ready. I really owe it all to Mike M., Marty, Rich M. Rich S. and the rest of the gang that worked on my cobra. If it wasn't for the clubs friendship and motivation I don't think 244 would have made it out the London. I am amazed that we got it all done. In that trip I put around 750 miles on it! I'm pretty sure we are still trying to make up for all the sleep we lost that week. It still feels like it was yesterday I was running over to Mike's after work and get wrenching on the car. I have learned so much from each and everyone that helped. I also am not as stressed out about stuff breaking. You just fix it and make it better! I thought I already knew everything there was to owning one of these beasts but I still don't believe I have it!

Ok I'm done...

Sid