Not Ranked     

Alright...fresh meat...Welcome Todd
Old 06-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Todd,

I sent you an email re. IL registration.

If someone named "Wolfie" invites you to hang around Brokeback Garage...you're on your own...

Lowell
Old 06-14-2006, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates work in progress, personally built 302
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the emails - Lowell - I do remember. You're the guy that everyone wanted to play center back in school 'cause you could look over the net, right?

About this "rope-a-dope" method; legit? Isn't there an inspection required? Would any titling agency work?

If I sent the tax forms and title registration forms in to Springfield - what's the timing (other than lost papers)? What's included in the "taxable items" list? I built the engine and the block is brand new from FMS - i.e. no serial number. I have the receipt though from the dealer I ordered it through.

I don't appreciate the reference to "fresh meat" and "Brokeback" in the same thread....What do you guys do at these get togethers? Seriously though, if WCCC makes it out to Blackhawk Farms again - give me a shout. I'm close enough to hear the engines (depending on what's running). Hopefully, I'll have the car done by next LCS. After the jealousy I felt at DVSF V, I promised myself that the next time I went, I'd be driving.

Have a great time in London.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Todd,

Good memory! Basketball, no, but yes, I am vertically challenged, in a positive direction...

Basically, the state of IL wants to be sure: 1) they get sales tax on every possible item; 2) they aren't legitimizing stolen parts; and 3) the thing is safe to drive. They also want to be sure the car in their records is the same one the inspectors come out to inspect.

With my car, #'s 1 & 2 were pretty easy, as it was a new roller with a motor built by an established business. I had an MSO for the car and a receipt for the motor, listing the engine block number. I sent the DMV copies of all that stuff, with a check for the sales tax and a separate check for the title and registration fees. They also wanted photos of the car from the side and back. They probably also wanted evidence of insurance. The big problem, as I recall, was that the one guy who took care of all the "special construction" registrations quit and another guy took over the job and had no idea where to start...or at least that was the story at the time.

I do recall reading somewhere (maybe here?) that other Cobra owners had differing experiences with their DMV offices, but again, that was 3-1/2 years ago. Seems to me that someone reported taking his car to the Woodstock office and walking out with plates. The local office should have a list of documentation items required by the folks in Springfield.

I have a list of names of people who may or may not still be with the DMV: Bob Walters at (217) 558-4077; Bill Hubbs at (217) 557-0717; and Rick, apparently the inspector who came from Peoria to inspect my car at (309) 694-7961. Sorry but I can't remember who was who. Bob may have been the guy who left the office and Bill may have been the new guy (?).

After the MVD found all my lost paperwork, I received a letter from their office which basically said all the paperwork was in order and the Secretary of State Police would contact me to make an appointment to inspect my car. The letter gave the phone number (815) 987-7560 for the Illinois Secretary of State Department of Police to call if I had any further questions. I think I had my car inspected within a week or two once I received notification from Springfield that all was in order. I wasn't home when the inspectors showed up. By the time my wife called me and I told her where to find the keys, they were finished with the inspection, although, again, this was a new car from a proven manufacturer. Anyway, if you go to the local DMV office and ask them for the list of documents to register a "special construction" vehicle of "kit car", they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Whatever you do, DON'T TRY TO REGISTER YOUR CAR USING ANY METHOD OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL STATE PROCEDURE!!! There was a lot of trouble with bogus registrations, at least in California, several years ago and it isn't worth the heartburn, especially considering how simple it is to do it the correct way when everything goes right. Yeah, the sales tax is a big hit, but if you try to weasel around that and wreck the car, I imagine the insurance company could flat refuse to pay any claims if they could demonstrate that you had been less that truthful during the registration process.

Also, whatever you do, don't listen to anyone who introduces himself as "Wolfie"...

Good luck, and please update this thread to let us know how you made out when you get through the registration process.

Lowell
Old 06-14-2006, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 1699 392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Lowell I don't even work for the DMV! Or do I? Heck I can't remeber. I'll have to ask Chris.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wolfie, If you do I won't hold it against you...or don't hold it against me...or don't even get near me with it...

Lowell
Old 06-15-2006, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates work in progress, personally built 302
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the info Lowell!

I don't want to cut corners, but if I can be face-to-face with a "knowledgable" person, I feel like I'll have less problems. It sounds like going to the local booney's DMV station would probably not be the best idea.

Shooting for London '07.....