14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Chevy 454, Tremec 550, C4 Vette susp and coilovers
Not Ranked     
Smile Fender flares , C4 Vette suspension, E.M.

I posted new pictures of the fender flare progress. The body is off to go see the body and paint wizard.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Jim -
I enjoyed the photos. What wheel/tire combinations will you be running?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-28-2006, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Chevy 454, Tremec 550, C4 Vette susp and coilovers
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have ordered Team III wheels, 9.5 front 11 rear; tires will be BFG KD 275-17 and 315-17. I may buy a spare set of rims and run 335 rears at some point. I am planning to run HPDE events at the track and wanted to lower the car but saw tire/fender interference.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Jim,

Looks like a LOT of work. Very nice. I have a Cobra with C4 suspension and a BBC that I track when I can. I would suggest you look at Toyo RA1 or Kumho Victoracer tires instead of the KD tires. The Toyos are very sticky and will maintain consistent grip through the tread depth. The Kumhos are stickier at first, but will lose more grip as the tire wears. Both are very good for the street as well. Hoosiers are another choice and will provide the ultimate bite, but will wear very poorly on the street.

BTW, what size engine is that? My 427 BBC just ate a lobe off the cam and I am going to change the whole shebang out for a 540. That way I can drop the compression, run lower RPMs (the old one shifted at 7400) and have better longevity.

Another question: What are the two raised areas with holes, just below the trunk, near the bottom of the rear of the car?

Have a nice day!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Yes, the rear flares took a long time; the fronts were easy by comparison.

I am running a 2 bolt 454 with +0.030 bore, a Comp 280 cam with non-roller lifters, 9.5:1 compression, standard heads, an Air Gap intake, a K&N, and a 750 Holley. It should make about 450 HP at 5500 RPM with over 500 pounds of torque at 2700 RPM. This will give me an operating range of 2800 RPM at the track. Next year I will replace the heads with aluminum ones; this will cut the front end weight a bit.

Longer term, I have a spare 454 block and plan to do a 4 bolt with aluminum rods, steel crank, roller lifters, etc.

I previously owned a 396 which ate the lobes off a cam also. I read an article lately that states oil manufacrurers have reduced the zinc from 0.05% to 0.02% because the particular zinc compound, ZDDP, is a hazard. One additive mentioned was a GM engine oil supplement; I have inquired at two dealers but they only show GM EOS assembly lube, not recommended as an oil additive. An alternative listed was STP Oil Slabilizer, a new product with ZDDP.

Jim
Old 07-02-2006, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Jim

Don't use aluminum rods

Jerry
Old 07-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

GM may not recommend EOS as an additive, but it is no less a good one. I use 1/2 bottle (about 6 oz.) per oil change.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Another question: What are the two raised areas with holes, just below the trunk, near the bottom of the rear of the car?
I think they are backup lights; I haven't got that far yet.

Jim
Old 07-07-2006, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison
Not Ranked     

Looks pretty good Jim, can't wait to see it painted! I KNOW it was a lot of work which is why I didn't do it and took the risk of a little fender rub. Boyd did a good job on my wheels and managed to stuff quite a bit of the 315's under, but about a 1/2 inch sticks out in the rear. I had to crank on the coil overs a few times to set them right. You can see it a bit on this picture:

I'll take some additional pictures when I'm outside playing again, there are a few here: http://www.mtdesign.com/cobra/ When you are finished let me know, I'm dying for someone to go to the track with me. I haven't taken the Cobra yet, but spent plenty of time on the local tracks (Blackhawk, Gingerman, Grattan) in other cars. I know the Volkswagon club has an event at Gingerman in October so hurry up! I went last year and they are a great group of guys. If I can work out the kinks in my ride, I'll be there.

- Mark