Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII, Dart 363, 5-link
Not Ranked     
Default tapping into WCCC experience

Guys: I am recent new member, met several of you at Hawthorne Woods outing - good fun. I have a FFR MKII (basic build) and am thinking about dropping the body on soon. Thought to see if there is any interest in WCCC folks checking out my build and giving their $.02 thus preventing me making a big boo-boo. If it looks OK, might try and organize a "dropping body on event" some Saturday (it will take at least 3-4 semi-strong folks - body is on a wood body buck and up on a mezzanine). I live in Schaumburg. Thanks.

tim
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Welcome Tim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galla4
... If it looks OK, might try and organize a "dropping body on event" some Saturday (it will take at least 3-4 semi-strong folks - body is on a wood body buck and up on a mezzanine). I live in Schaumburg. Thanks.

tim
First of all, WELCOME Tim, on becoming a member of a great club!
Man, you don't know how lucky you are in asking for help lifting heavy loads. The "heavy lifter" lives right in your town, how convenient is that?
As you have probably already found out by reading this board, the help don't come cheap! Lots of pizza and beer is required for heavy lifting jobs.
And depending on the color of your Cobra, there are different groups that are assigned to help assembling your car. The heavy guy, I mean the heavy lifter is in the Red Group.
Oh, by the way, we've dropped a lot of bodies in our days after too much beer!
We'll see you soon.
Crash

Last edited by RedSnake351; 07-26-2006 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Had to insert the beer warning to comply with WCCC rules!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - Blue W/ Silver Stripe
Not Ranked     

Tim
The body mounting stage is a very exciting time for the FFR builder. After mounting it finally starts to feel like you have accomplished something. Frankly, on this car it's almost anti-climatic. It really does not take all that long; and it's much easier than you might think. (Guys, keep your mind out of the gutter).
The real issue is making sure you have completed everything that should be done before you take this step. This includes any modifications or up grades that would be easier to do before the body is on.
This is certainly an area where members can offer suggestions. As you are well aware the sky is the limit on modifications you could do during your build. There are only two limiting factors; the cost (which may be significant) and the time it takes (which is always longer that expected).
That said……… make us an offer – when do you want to host a group of noisy unruly guys with noisy unruly cars? Keep in mind how your neighbors will react. Also remember the judge said certain members can not be within 500 feet of certain other members (that distance is reduced to 100 feet after dark). My personal opinion is he was a tad prudish; after all it was not his wife and daughter.
But I regress, the single most important question to answer at this point is; which shade of blue is really your favorite?
Old 07-27-2006, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B w/FRPP 347ci 450HP Crate
Send a message via AIM to OhBuoy
Not Ranked     

Tim, you must keep in mind that I do not think that these guys have finished a car sober yet. These guys are not lightweights, do be prepared for the beer budget. Your significant other might think you have a lot invested in the car now, wait till they see what it costs to have three guys over for beer to put the body on. I also think a lot of the cars they build end up being red because they think it will hide the blood stains that they leave behind. Sid's car was painted silver already, I do not know if it is easier to get the blood off of a painted car or if the blood stain under the paint is just a myth.

Hope you guys have fun whenever you put the skin on the bones. Wish I could be there.

Tom
Old 07-27-2006, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I will alert the local Police that the group will be coming together again. Local church groups will also need be informed....Who's going to hand out the badges?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP367, 427 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Badges? ........ We don't need no stink'n badges!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP367, 427 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Lookie here now ..... The subject title states that it is going to be a "Tapping" party! (Tapping into WCCC Experience) What are we going to be "Tapping"? Will it be MGD, Corona, Guinness, Rolling Rock, Goose Island, oh ... so many beers to choose from.

Seriously speaking, tapping into WCCC membership you will find is going to be one of your best source of information and help. I for one can attest to the fact that if it wasn't for all the guy's help and input I would be still sitting with a garage full of parts lying around.

Tim, just let us know when and we will be more than happy to give a hand.

Mark
Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Tim,

Congratulations on your successful cobra build and we’d delighted to assist you complete the assembly process. Just e-mail the date, time, your address and we’re be there.

Incidentally, I live in Hanover Park; practically next-door neighbors. Send me a PM if you ever need anything.

Badman

If you can't drink it, eat it, "kiss" it, spend it, or drive it fast...get rid of it!!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,
You ARE still sitting in the garage with parts all over the place....
Tim, pick the date and time and I'll get your address out to the club via email....
Old 07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Red face

Blas, you are correct but Mark has more "Tapping" experience than the rest of us. The more you tap, the more parts you have left over.
Crash
Old 07-27-2006, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadster 351w
Not Ranked     

Tim
What do you have for dessert?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 1699 392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Tim,,, can I just come to watch and give immoral support?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First thanks for the welcome and response - I didn't think through all connotations regarding "tapping" but it works for me.

I don't want to chew up much of your time (or cut into your drinking time) but I was hoping to get a few of you guys to take a peak before dropping on the body. Blas has had a chance to give it the once over, and I've already driven it as a go-kart (see membership listing pic). If it's OK, it would be cool if the "review" and body install could happen at the same time, but as I said - I don't want to waste your time in case if someone sees something I need to tend to before the body install (unless you're looking for an excuse to assemble, have a few yuks and drink a couple of beers then come on over).

This Saturday late AM or afternoon works for me, unless it's too short a notice for the group. I think it will give me time to secure enough beverages.

Thanks for considering.

tim

P.S.: While the body is a dark red - I can't get into the red/blue thing, unfortunately I consider mine naked until the chassis gets covered.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Perhaps this would be a good time to ask about that wiper cable....cutting and fitting....I really just quickly looked over your work, as I was basking in the warm glow of that "RED" body up on the wood stands....
Old 07-27-2006, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim
I am in even though your car is red.
However, as will soon find out, I am geographically challenged.
So, where the heck is Schaumburg anyway?

Rich
Old 07-27-2006, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well what I'll plan is to lift the garage door up after 10A this Saturday, I'll be around till about 3:30. If anyone wants to stop by, send me a PM and I'll get you directions, just let me know where you are coming from (Rich - let me know what part of the city you're in and I'll send directions and a phone #). The main intersection I'm closest to in Schaumburg is Barrington & Golf.

If my build looks OK and we get 4-5 folks around at the same time - we'll try and install the body. If not, I can get some neighbors at another time and move forward knowing I should be OK. Thanks.

tim
Old 07-27-2006, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

He's 5 mins from my house....
Old 07-27-2006, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas
He's 5 mins from my house....
Is Tim in the 2006 membership rooster?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I am in the membership directory. I am on the northwest side of Schaumburg. There is a detour on my street (Walnut Lane) if you are trying to get there from Schaumburg road, the alternative is clearly marked. The house number is 754.

tim
Old 07-28-2006, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim

Okay, so you say it is a stock build. I assume that means a Donor car was used for most of the needed parts? What did you put in new – clutch assembly, radiator, brakes, battery? What about the engine – any work done?

So we’ll go over a few things tomorrow, such as:
Is it EFI?
Standard 5 liter?
Standard 5 speed transmission?
Mustang 4- link rear suspension?
Stock steering rack?
Does it have the Donor gauges or did you change to something? (Can you still plug in the
standard Mustang Instrument cluster or did you do a wire diet?)
What kind or wheels; what size tires?
Did you do any type of wheel alignment?
How about things like;
Turn signals
Heaters
Windshield wipers
Battery Cut-off

What about up grades like;
Foot box fans
Heated seats
Lowered truck
Glove box
Battery access

Who did the electrical wiring? Is the dash wiring completely done? Have you checked headlights, tails lights, brake lights, etc? Do you want to consider things like back-up lights; courtesy lights or music system?

When you drove the Go Kart; how was it? Brakes okay? Steering, engine, shifting, etc all okay; did anything fall off? Have you re-torqued everything after the ride?

Do you need us to bring any type of tools?