Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Help a guy in Dubai!

Hi all

Actually I m a UK guy but work in Dubai. Run an AK427 - UK Kit. Bought it last year. Was factory built in 2002. Nice job no corner cutting

It has a 460ci Ford BB mated to Tremec 600 and a Mcleod Clutch. Dynoed at 565bhp and 543ft llbs.

I have all the details back home but need to get a view now. The throw out bearing lost fluid at the unions and clutch wnet to floor. The garage had same piece of kit ( they run big TVR's so that was fitted ) Burst open again so garage tapped in new screw fittings and was ok for 800 miles and has burst again. See the photo for what they did.

I am assuming its a Mcleod throw out bearing. Can anyone confirm? I have heard from UK Cobar forum that Mcleod bearings are poor - well the earlier ones anyway. Don't wnat to buy a new bit from Mcleod and find it is no good either. Could look at external slave but suspect I may not have the space. The ideal solution is another bearing but one that stands up. Could it be its a'problem' or might it be pedal travel. When it di go it was when I was pressing on and dropping a gear. So may an overthrow problem.

Has anyone got similar kit and what have they done. The whole engine and box is US so I joined this iste in the hope the expertsie will be that much greater across the pond. Hope so!!! Getting hacked off right now!

Regards
Chris
Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I looked at a real nice set up on a TKO 600 at the Shelby meet here in Tulsa. Contact Kessler Transmission

http://www.keislerauto.com/ford/ford...ypage_acc.html

Check the above out. I looks to be everything that McLeod is NOT. I have a McLeod and I have trouble everytime I have to bleed the darn thing.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-21-2010, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

My car had a McLeod HTOB when I bought it in 2001. After two clutch changes and pulling the transmission at least six times due to leaking hydraulic fluid, I replaced it with an externally actuated system. I agree with your decision to replace the McLeod HTOB with something more reliable.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-21-2010, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

For me there are some problems with the McLeod system.
The main problem is that you must disconnect the hydraulic line to remove the transmission. Requiring refilling and bleeding of the system every time the trans is removed.
Second, is the difficulty in set-up. You will need to measure the distance from the trans mounting face to the clutch fingers before you purchase or order your throw out bearing, Their are different length pistons to make correct engagement.Hooking up and bleeding is a major pain in the arse! They can and will leak.
I have one, I have put them in a couple cars, But I wont recommend them. Too much of a hassle

Jason
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys - helpfu

External route maybe best but I may not have the room. Been in touch with the Keisler guys and they have been helpful and thgink they have the right kits and that it will be strong enough etc. I have a small issue in that the car is in UK and I cannot check the specs it came with, but am assuming a TKO 600 mated to 460 BB through Mcleod clutch is a known set re bore/shaft sizes etc. The guys at Keisler seemed to act as if he knew by definition it would be right.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Chris...take some time and really figure out whether you have the room for an external setup. Regardless of whatever internal throwout set you find, you will always have to pull the trans when it breaks.

There are some really nice compact external setups out there...I'm betting you have more room than you think. Check out Mike Fortes' setup at fortesparts.com and the Kirkham setup at kirkhammotorsports.com.

Like many here, I once had a McLeod internal setup...hell, I tried them twice.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Chris...take some time and really figure out whether you have the room for an external setup.
Like many here, I once had a McLeod internal setup...hell, I tried them twice.
Me too!

With mine once I get it right it is painless and easy enough to push that my wife can do it with little effort. The rules regarding Cobra's or any Kit Car (Replica if you insist) is that there are no rules if it works for you. There is plenty of help here and from my 11 years experience dealing with these ya hoo's is that everyone's help is appreciated and has been a life saver for some of us.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-22-2010, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

McLeod's are better than they used to be....Tilton is also a good brand if you ABSOLUTELY have to have a hydraulic bearing.

I tell customers to avoid them like the plague if at all possible....it's so much easier to go with a traditional bearing and clutch fork.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

My set up is similar to yours I have the improved Mcleod HTOB. Yes it took time to set up, yes they need to be bled properly, yes you need a correct pedal stop. If I had to do it again, I would go the route many Superformance 460 set ups use. Late 80's Ford 460 Truck Bell housing with external slave and an old fashioned fork, my clearance is very tight I would have to modify the slave mount on the bell flange.

Last edited by kitcarbp; 06-22-2010 at 11:08 AM..