Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Car Performance secrets?

Over the past few years i have become obsessed with my cars performance. I would like to know if anyone knows any secrets to tuning your cars. my current car(just got it 2 days ago) is a subaru forester with a 2.5L EJ251 flat 4 engine, a 4 speed automatic transmission and 114,000 miles on the engine. Because of the high mileage i will not add a forced induction system. Because i don't want to run high octane gas i don't want to increase the compression.

I will list some of the performance stuff i already know(so you don't waste your time). Increasing volumetric efficency: this includes better filter, intake, heads, valves, headers, high-flow cat, and straight-pipe muffler, and building resonance(provides small boost in NA engines).; getting getter fuel air mix through new injectors; Better timing whether it be through new camshafts or ecu injection timing. raising redline through stronger parts + shorter stroke; increase displacement physically or virtually(i would also like to shy away from this).
Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

The answer to your question is very simple MR/MS wilkinse,

Since you posted this in the 460 forum of a Cobra web site, put a 460 in your Cobra!

Tom
Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

performance secret to a subaru is to crush it,.....then build a cobra that has ten times the horsepower.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

And I thought I drank to much.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None. Yet.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
performance secret to a subaru is to crush it,.....then build a cobra that has ten times the horsepower.
My 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero (which is mechanically identical to a Subaru WRX) will do 0-60 in just over 4 seconds. It also has room to spare for 4 adults and a week's worth of luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinse View Post
... my current car(just got it 2 days ago) is a subaru forester with a 2.5L EJ251 flat 4 engine...

I will list some of the performance stuff i already know...
That's all a waste of time with a naturally aspirated Subaru engine. About the best you can do with the EJ251 is cams and an ECU tune which, if you're lucky, will get you to about 130hp at the wheels.

You can swap in the WRX or STi engine with relatively little effort and put larger turbo on it. At that point, the sky is the limit: 500hp is pretty easy, and 800hp or more is doable with meth injection on an upgraded block.

Last edited by DrivinWest; 10-04-2010 at 08:34 AM..
Old 10-04-2010, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Maybe a Subaru forum can give you more secrets than a Ford based forum. Like Tom said, stuff a 460 in it........ or get some tuning secrets from a Subaru racing forum.