Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Maine-ly Classic 427
Not Ranked     
Default Manifold too high

I have a 460 with a weiland stealth intake.....way to high for my hood to fit. Had DV make a scoop to fit the application. Looks like hell. I need to get a lower maniford and remake a new scoop (427 scoop) to fit. Any sugestions on what manifold to use. roller rockers, nice cam and so on eng builder told me that what he built should be around 650 hp
thanks for any help Jay
248 933 1047

Last edited by computerworks; 03-24-2012 at 05:04 AM..
Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

i know the factory five guys who run the 460 say they can only fit the edelbrock torker II intake?.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Not sure about your car's engine placement, but on my first Cobra I had to reposition the motor mounts to lower the 460, as I had the same problem...made a custom air cleaner and had to raise the front end as much as I could to get ground clearance...don't remember which manifold I had, I think it was an Edelbrock Performer RPM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

jaydonaldson,

Dunno the Stealth, but think it's more like the Victor.

From the Edelbrock web site,

Torker carb pad height (avg) = 3.875"
Victor carb pad height (avg) = 6.5"

As you can see, switching from the Victor to the Torker gets a height reduction of 2.625"

Surely, using Google, you can find the pad height for your Stealth.

Tom
Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr0077 View Post
Not sure about your car's engine placement, but on my first Cobra I had to reposition the motor mounts to lower the 460,
I have much the same problem with my 302 in my replica.

Right now my replica's intake is as "tall" as can be tolerated...my K&N FilterCharger barely clears the scoop:

I would like to fit a taller intake manifold (Edelbrock Performer RPM, or even better an Edelbrock intake for a Clevor), as well as a Quick Fuel carb from Blykins, but at this point my only option appears to be a shorter K&N filter.

I'm led to believe that the motor mounts for a convertible position the engine 3/4" lower than those for a sedan. I can combine that with a 1/2" shave of the carb mounting pad and get what I need, I think!!

However, given that the clearance might still not be adequate, I'd like to know how you went about lowering your engine.

Thanks!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I have a Blue Thunder on mine as well as some other big block cars I know. I also have a heat spacer and shield under the carb. It's a tight fit.
INTAKE MANIFOLDS(429/460)
Scott
Old 03-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Dugly, you don't want to know how I lowered my engine!

Actually, I cut the arms off the frame and moved them down and back toward the rear, then re-welded the arms to the frame. This was an early Shell Valley, and pretty straightforward repositioning, as the supports for the motor were two arms that angled in and up for the motor mounts to bolt onto. That might not work on other arrangements.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-Ford Performance Solutions 533 BB
Not Ranked     
Default Hood Intake Helps

On my BB Ford West Coast I had to move from the Vic Jr which came on my custom-built engine to the Performer RPM. Still needed a larger hood scoop to gain the needed clearache. Se. It in my gallery. Car is blue but there are some pics in my gallery that I didn't put there - ignore them

Good Luck!

Dirk
Old 03-25-2012, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr0077 View Post
Dugly, you don't want to know how I lowered my engine!

Actually, I cut the arms off the frame and moved them down and back toward the rear, then re-welded the arms to the frame.
Thanks! Actually, that is exactly what I thought needed to be done, except that I don't want to deal with setting the engine back any further, I'm happy with everything except my hood clearance. I'm having trouble finding anyone around here (about 35 miles SW of Houston, TX, so I need someone on the SW side of town) who wants to tackle the job....a couple of restoration shops around here, but they only want to do big jobs, not the small stuff. I suppose I could take it to a welding shop, but I really wanted to find someone who would just jack the engine up a few inches and deal with the issue from underneath, don't want to have to pull the drivetrain.

I wonder how lowering the engine would affect the "header/sidepipe" alignment. I guess one could cut a couple of inches off each of the tubes (mine are slip-fit), but if I were to need to modify the headers/sidepipes I think I'd have them flanged.

Cheers!

Dugly

Old 04-01-2012, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Be careful how much you lower your engine because of a lot of things especially road clearance.After talking with K&N about what I needed to feed my 460 all the air it could injest unrestricted through an Edelbrock Perf RPM, a 14"x3" with Extreme top was the solution.Bought another hood from StreetBeast and a Harwood scoop.Modified the scoop to just clear everything.With hood latched the filter is perfectly centered in the scoop opening and the motor never lacks for air.Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
Be careful how much you lower your engine because of a lot of things especially road clearance.After talking with K&N about what I needed to feed my 460 all the air it could injest unrestricted through an Edelbrock Perf RPM, a 14"x3" with Extreme top was the solution.
Mine is a 9"X3" with the X-Stream top, too. Right now, it sits up into the scoop with 1/4" top clearance, not much more side clearance. Since my scoop is too small to hold an 11" or 14" filter, I am pretty much stuck with the 9".....

I think I'll call K&N, too. My 302 is mostly stock, only converted from EFI to carb. Maybe with the X-Stream filter top I could provide all the air the engine would need with a 2 1/2" filter, maybe even a 2".

I certainly don't want to start chopping mounting horns off the frame if I can manage any other way....just want to make sure the engine will get the air it needs.

Cheers!

Dugly

Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds like your close,it really depends on how hard you push it.When I spoke with K&N we were talking sustained racing rpm's.An occasional burst of speed is different.Good Luck and have fun Mike Ross
Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re Scoop

I'm with Mike on this, lowering the engine will bring on more clearance pains, I have a front sump which will be swopped out soon for a Canton or similar to save an inch below, the scoop problem for me was the 460(545) with a Victor, and a 1050 Dominator on top!! I finished the car got it through the rigorous test for registration etc and until I decide the scoop issue, for which I may fab a custom airbox, I took the jigsaw and modified the hood, the 14 x 3 K & N pokes out, but I am enjoying the car on the road now and will worry about the aesthetics later, attached a pic which I know upsets the purists but hey ho. Dave
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As long as it works it should not matter.I was frustrated with mine trying to get the 460 to breath through the Stellings and stock hood.It took a long time trying to find the right scoop to look good on the Cobra hood Harwoods lines were near perfect once cut down to hug the filter.The 460 lacks for nothing now except maybe a solid roller cam.