Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 questions?

I'm in the market for my first Cobra. I've owned Supercharged cars and Turbo cars. I like the looks of a BB in the cobra and the amount of power without doing that much to it. If I go with Aluminum heads, intake and water pump will there be much of a difference in weight compared to a small block with iron heads? I can get a Turn key 460 with the following for 7K. or a 351W for 6k. I'm still deciding on if I could find a build that someone started or one complete. Most likely I won't find one that is mine without altering it some. I have 40K to spend so I hope I can find something.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2014, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You are certain to get plenty of opinions on this question with the big block versus small block people . I too crave the look of an engine bay stuffed with a big block. Our 460 has aluminum heads, intake, water pump,flywheel, even the center section of the 9" rear.

Also have manual steering and brakes with the suspension scaled. The limiting factors for road and drag racing with this car are the tires and a full support seat.

Your right about the big cubic inches making easy big power and torque that never ends.
We have always had a spare 460 engine (needs rebuilding) just in case. Funny thing is will probably never need it. Good luck in your search.
Mike Ross
Old 04-12-2014, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Go big block. Great sound, and the wow factor when you open the hood
Old 04-12-2014, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

Not to mention, dollar for dollar a 385 series (429/460) engine will produce more HP for less cash than almost any BB out there. $12K= 750HP/700TQ approx. and very dependable. A for sure pants wetter in a AC
Old 04-12-2014, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&CAuto 460
Not Ranked     
Default big block

I have a 521 with cobra valley valve covers.28 inches wide,that fills an engine bay.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm seriously looking at a new Backdraft minus and put a 460 with a Tremec TKO 500 or 600 in it. Any builders out there that could give me a price on a Turn Key 460? Doesn't have to be forged this forged that. Stock internals will handle 400+. Thats' fine for me. Carb, wires, pump, alt ect... I'm looking for s deal on either a used or new tranny too.

Thanks.
PM me if you want.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

The only "problem" with a Lima motor is it's physical size. It's huge. It's designed to be torque monster truck engine, so compact size was not a real consideration.

Changing spark plugs and installing headers on a 351W can be a bit of a challenge the first few times you do it. With a Lima motor, it will be a real PITA.

I don't believe that weight is a big issue, unless you're a dedicated road racer. The engine will sit completely behind the front axle, so it will balance fairly well. Alum heads will help that a lot.

Additional weight will also be added from things like a huge radiator, 9" rear, etc. But those are small things.

The bottom line is, I think, if you want a Lima motor, do it!
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 04-13-2014, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Bill D .........you gotta be kiddn?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR with 460
Not Ranked     

Go the BB. I have one in mine with all the extras and it performs great and looks magic sitting in the engine bay.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

I too have the 460 that puts out 435RWHP with 460 RWTQ, and it's a crate engine with proper tuning done to it, nothing else. Ford Motorsports Aluminum Cobra Jet Heads with an Edelbrock Torker II intake and a Quickfuel 750 feeds it. The car weighs in at just under 2,800 lbs with me in it. If you are planning on it being a track car - go with a small block (they make a 460 small block crate motor) - if it's going to be used primarily for street driving and shows, Big Block is the way to go. I'm all about the crate motors as they come with warranties and mine has been a gem. 28,000 miles of abuse (street, road course, and drag racing) and it's still as strong as ever.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleVenom View Post
I too have the 460 that puts out 435RWHP with 460 RWTQ, and it's a crate engine with proper tuning done to it, nothing else. Ford Motorsports Aluminum Cobra Jet Heads with an Edelbrock Torker II intake and a Quickfuel 750 feeds it. The car weighs in at just under 2,800 lbs with me in it. If you are planning on it being a track car - go with a small block (they make a 460 small block crate motor) - if it's going to be used primarily for street driving and shows, Big Block is the way to go. I'm all about the crate motors as they come with warranties and mine has been a gem. 28,000 miles of abuse (street, road course, and drag racing) and it's still as strong as ever.
How does that crate motor sound? I want one with a nice thump. I'm going from a twin turbo small block that I could hardly hear. I want that old muscle car sound back...
Old 04-15-2014, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

How about a few photos of the engine bay stuffed with these big blocks!

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 04-15-2014, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyg View Post
Good idea. Maybe a new thread for that too.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
How does that crate motor sound? I want one with a nice thump. I want that old muscle car sound back...
PurpleVenom's car sounds awesome. As a proper big block does.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

Pics " No Problem

I always have problems with pics on this site but I guess I will start the pic train moving,

Just my 2 cents when I was going to buy my car " I asked people the same thing BB VS SB" To be blunt people had every reason under the sun why I should stay away from a 460 and get a SB. Well I have had the BB for 2 years now and recently drove a very well built 351 .

I wouldn't even consider a SB these days..... It just didn't feel right for me
and the sound was not even close to the lopping of a BB...

Myth BB's run very hot and always over heat. I don't have that problem at all.

But you have to really drive one and decide for yourself " Than you can buy the BB. The slanted distributor through the scoop is also cool.

Thank the lord for the Big Block Ford ; Great saying
Good Luck with the car...
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2014, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdcav View Post
Pics " No Problem

I always have problems with pics on this site but I guess I will start the pic train moving,

Just my 2 cents when I was going to buy my car " I asked people the same thing BB VS SB" To be blunt people had every reason under the sun why I should stay away from a 460 and get a SB. Well I have had the BB for 2 years now and recently drove a very well built 351 .

But you have to really drive one and decide for yourself " Than you can buy the BB. The slanted distributor through the scoop is also cool.

Thanks. Is yours iron headed? I talked to Jay at Vintage and told him what I wanted to do. I'm on a tight budget, but really want a New Backdraft. At first I was looking to only spend like 43K total with taxes when I put it on the road. So right now im at $40196 total shipped with taxes minus motor and trans. I'm trying to get both for under 10K and install it myself. When I mentioned to him he listened,but did say it was a tight fit and 98% of his customers put in small blocks. I asked how much to install it. He said $2000 for a small block and $3000 for a big block. I asked why so much more for a big block. He said it's a tight fit...??? So Im looking at new or a really nice used, but I don't see any Backdrafts with big blocks for sale.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

MNM - I think the car sounds great and was a primary reason i bought the car. The thing is, with a crate motor, you get a warranty and safe horsepower, meaning, the engine is capable of so much more, but....why? Again, depends on what you want to use the car for. One of our former club members had a backdraft with a 351 bored and stroked to a 427 which also sounded great. Up to you, but two cars I've seen with big blocks in them, mine (a Factory Five) and a friend's Superformance. The Superformance accepted the big block perfectly.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleVenom View Post
hi I recently bought a Johnex Cobra with a ford racing crate engine, I am finding some problems with the engine height, the cobra oval air cleaner was modified to fit under the hood, it also has the torker 2 intake but the engine was supposed to have a performer intake but it is 1.75" higher so would not fit, not the small ports of the torker 2 don,t match the huge cobra jet head ports, it has a demon carb ,I want to put a double pumper 850 ultra with electric choke but I am worried the choke ass. won't fit under the modified air cleaner, my question to you is was your air cleaner modified?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdcav View Post
Pics " No Problem

is that a ultra carb on there and did you have to modify your air cleaner to fit under the hood, what intake is on there,, I bought a cobra with a 460 but I am having clearanc problems
Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyg View Post
Like this one? (http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s.../ppuser/147413)