Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 460 ci Ford
Not Ranked     

I'm picking up my 460 cobra in a few weeks. Can't wait!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

1991 West Coast Cobra with 460.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thinking about a roller cam any excuse to take the intake off for polishing.Of course looking for a little more kick in the pants along with more hair raising exhaust growl.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 429 Heating Up

Hi, guys. I have a Cobra with a 429 and C6 that just wants to run hot...particularly on our summer days in south Texas. Any ideas of how I might best get her cooled down? Electric fans, if so how best do you configure them? Side oil cooler, if so how tough a job is it? Both?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2014, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     

I had to put a rear intake manifold cross over to get the coolant flowing in the rear of the block and put a puller fan on the radiator with a custom fan shroud. I run the sandwich plate oil cooler which is also ducted through the front. I live in Arizona and if I stop at a light too long above 100 degrees the car will still overheat.

There is just not enough room to put in a radiator that will cool 429ci @ 550HP.

but if you run across something let me know. My car stays cool in 110 degrees and anything above 40 mph.

Look at my pictures I tried pusher fans, pullers, both... you name it my current solution is the best.

Last edited by BPWilliams; 08-28-2014 at 08:07 PM..
Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When building our car had a custom rad built a 2700cfm puller fan complete shrouding so all the air coming through nose has to pass through radiator. The car runs 190 degrees all the time except stop and go then it sneaks to 210. Big difference is we live in So Maine not So Texas.
Our oil cooler had to be bypassed it works too well up here.
I'm certain there are aftermarket radiator Co's that can build you something that will keep up with those Texas summers.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everette Morrison
Not Ranked     
Default 429 SCJ Stroked

Just to feel part if the group and to share my story

I've got a 1970 429 SCJ (dove-a), stroked to 545. Was rebuilt twice this summer by Kinetic Race engines. It has MAHLE Motorsports pistons and MAHLE clevite bearings, I work for MAHLE so there was a little customizing done on the pistons. Forged Scat crank and rods. Aluminum Ford racing SCJ heads. Put out 570 HP and 580 ft lb torq. On the dyno. Also features a Close Ratio Top Loader rebuilt by Liberty's Gears this summer as well and a RAM Dual disc clutch.

It's current on my garage floor waiting to go in my Everette Morrison for the second time after 250 miles on the first rebuild. And why two rebuilds. Leave it to Holley. I have a 770 Street Avenger on top that I bought last year, after 250 miles on the rebuild the top of the casting on the front vent tube broke off and got sucked into the engine. The casting actually cracked and broke. The suspicion is that the air cleaner was hitting the top of it as the vent tube was quite high. The newer version of the 770 Street Avenger has the vent tube built directly into the choke housing so my guess is that the original design was flawed.

One question for all of you. how do you keep your big blocks cool? For the 250 miles I drove the first time I was running into cooling issues.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Cwright99,

The most important step in keeping my 521/E-M cool is making sure the air is all out of the cooling system. If there is air, it will overheat!

Have fun with it!

Tom
Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

533 in my Factory Five Roadster. I love it.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Make sure all the air has to go through the radiator and as important get all the air out of the cooling system. Having a radiator that's able to cool the hp your packing helps a lot.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default The small things add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
Make sure all the air has to go through the radiator and as important get all the air out of the cooling system. Having a radiator that's able to cool the hp your packing helps a lot.
mdross1 is correct, and I'd like to add my 2 cents. It's usually the cooling system assembly or components used that do not work together well.

Check these and see if you can improve one or all.

1. water flow. Collapsed hoses etc. Your pump, what type? Edelbrock's for instance, need higher rpms or smaller pulley to flow well at idle.
2. Air pockets. Add an air bleed somewhere at the top of your engine. I put a bleed valve on the water neck that being the highest point. The radiator top is below the water neck height.
3. air flow through the radiator, Do not take shrouding for granted. If you don't have a shroud around the fan the fan cannot pull all the air it can through your radiator.
4. fan design, or type. If the fan is a pusher in reverse, it won't do nearly as good a job as a puller running forward.

Any one of these items having a small problem will add to your cooling woes.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five racing 1969 429 engine
Not Ranked     
Default my 429 factory five

Such a deal i got. Wealthy friend moved to idaho and didn't want to deal with craigslist or ebay. Begged me to take his beautiful cobra off his hands and he would throw in the 24ft enclosed car carrier and his 1300cc yamaha v-star with just 8000 miles on it. Would you believe i gave him $10,000 down and made verbal agreement to pay the other $15,000 whenever i have it. So at the ripe old age of 67 i'm going real fast and in style. Car has 4000 miles, balanced 1969 429 block .30 over, keith black pistons and rods, lotsa edelbrock aluminum, holley 850, toploader, blah blah blah. Is there anything on the road that sounds as bad as a big block ford cobra? If there is i can't hear it cause now i'm kinda deaf. Have fun. Mikey
Old 10-23-2014, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some people just live right, congratulations on your good fortune. Besides the awesome sight of the engine bay stuffed full of BB the sound says it all
Old 10-25-2014, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters II, Ford
Not Ranked     
Default 572 Cobra

I hope this is where I sign in for Ford big block powered cobra . I built a 572 stroker from a premier eliminator block with 4.5 " bore and 4.5" stroke . Forged crank , h-beam rods , diamond pistons , canton pan , crower cam sitting on roller brgs. , crower solid roller lifters , danny bee belt drive , trick flow a460 18 stud heads , comp cams stainless roller rockers , trick flow stud girdle ,trick flow tall intake topped of with an sv-1 carb. fired it up last january sounds good . Have a mcleod street twin out back with quicktime bellhousing and before I get the car on the road I just pulled my toploader and will be replacing with t-56 magnum .
Old 10-29-2014, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You are in the right place, for the lack of a better word WOW! power certainly wont be an issue for you unless it is too much. It sure sounds like it will be a fun car to tool around in or will it be at the strip all the time?
Mike
Old 11-02-2014, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters II, Ford
Not Ranked     

the car will mostly be street driven maybe some drag time , I really don,t know what to really expect yet as I have never driven a 700 plus HP car . I drive a ZX-14 so I think I know what kind of feeling I may get if the car hooks up . Remember I,m retired or is it retarded and in my mid sixties so I,m at the age where you think of what could happen before you try it ! This is not to say at our age we still try stuff , seems the need for speed never is not lost ! Remember also not all of us Canadians are crazy , but it helps !
Old 11-03-2014, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I believe with a 572" the torque god is who you will be answering to first off. Your age should keep you out of trouble because by now you should realize you need to creep up on what this car will deliver. The difference you will see right away between your car and the bike is the off idle torque, traction will certainly be an issue.
Keep us informed. Canada! are we going to have to wait till spring?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Temperatures hit 11 deg. C here on Saturday, so my wife and I went for a drive. OTOH, it was only 5 C yesterday and again today, and the long term FC is for snow and colder temperatures. I'm in Saskatchewan, just West of hisss_snake (Manitoba), and I suspect his weather is about the same as ours, so pretty much done until April.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: antique and collectable, Ford 460
Not Ranked     

Running a stock block 460 aluminum heads and intake with a 5 speed
Old 12-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 429 CJ with Toploader
Not Ranked     

Built my NAF Cobra back in 1986 - 1989. Running a 0.030 over 429. Lunati cam and valve train, Cloyes double roller timing chain, FlowKooler water pump, Offenhauser dual plane intake, Holley 780 CFM manual choke carb, and MSD ignition. Aluminum cross flow radiator and electric fan. Toploader 4 speed into a Ford 9 inch with 3.73 Detroit Locker.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: