Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2002, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I bought a West Coast Cobra with a 460 marine block on e-bay! It was in Spokane, WA and I'm in Eastern PA. I flew out and drove it back (2690 miles) in 5 days with NO problems. What a blast! Got it up to 140 and backed off; it was still climbing. I could write a book about the trip!
Ben Kellom likes this.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:54 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 67 Shell Valley - Kevlar; 514:TKO
Send a message via AIM to Jahred
Not Ranked     
Default Question for you engine experts

I have been wondering what a de-stroked 460 would run like. I have a 514. Still breaking it in. Not ready for another project quite yet.........but...........I do have a spare 514 that needs a crank kit.............and hate to see it just sit there!

Miss the higher RPM's.....anybody have a feel for how complicated it would be to destroke it this time around to say a 427 and throw a supercharger on it? Any sites that provide information on dynamics of those types of changes or that would give insite in to what kind of RPM's a shorter stroke could run?
Old 10-29-2002, 10:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hi bjrigg,

Please do write a book!

Sounds like a trip I'd enjoy seeing all the details about.

Hey Jahred,

If you put a stock crank in it you can have a 429! Well, maybe have to add six for the .030 if you have that, too.

Tom
Old 10-29-2002, 10:37 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 67 Shell Valley - Kevlar; 514:TKO
Send a message via AIM to Jahred
Not Ranked     
Default Under the Hood

Dan, I have a Shell Valley. Your 460 should fit if you don't get carried away with the manifold. I have a 514 Crate engine. I replaced the Victor with an A.T. Francis similar to the "performer".

I may have an oversized carb gasket, but thats about all. Even with the lower manifold, I had to use a "Drop Down" air cleaner set up to get sufficient clearance.

I did the Kevlar option and am very pleased with the solid body.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fellow members,
I purchased a Cobra with a 460 and in the total of 1500 miles on the car, I have had the pin on the distributor gear shear.

Any particulars. The rotor is relatively heavy and the only reason I could imagine the gear pin shearing would be if I missed a gear at high rpm and stalled the engine. The rev chip in the system is 6500. I drove it home, parked it and it would not start subsequently. It was somewhat cold that morning and I found the distributor hold down bracket loose. I think maybe the combination of cold morning big block startup (carburated) and the timing off simply would not allow it to start. I hope the pin is not broken again. I will only know when I pull the distributor.

Please forward all you recommendations

Sincerely
Old 12-18-2002, 07:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Uh oh...

Hi David,

Sounds like it's trying to tell you something

Pull it apart and let us know what it looks like.

You may want to go to The Butcher's web site or at least read my threads on my 460/distributor gear problems in this (460) conference.

It may be that the hole is drilled in the wrong place in the gear/distributor shaft to position the gear properly, or you may get bit for a cam, too if it has damaged the cam's gear

There are a number of reasons why this could happen, so read up on it and post what you find when you pull it apart.

Start a new thread for it so it'll be more obvious, and maybe others will chime in too.

Good luck with it,

Tom
Old 01-15-2003, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to edgoetz
Not Ranked     

am building a midstates car with a 521ci. svo short block ,trick flow heads,webers...and too much to list here! not running yet,but will be soon! pics at ....members.cac.net/radon/edscobra.htm
Old 03-19-2003, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up 514 cu. in.

Running 514 and pleased with power and response. Minor oil leaks on left rear valve cover. Usually three cranks to get her started.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 514 @600 H.P.

Runs very strong and a little hard to start. Some minor oil leaks.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With a 460, and all the goodies under our hood, I haven't had the test...... fortitude to have the pedal to the floor in third gear, even at the heavy weight mark of 2657 lbs. This one squats and goes, no resistance. Can't imagine what 514 has to offer!!
Old 03-29-2003, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast 460, Performer Cam & Intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Carb
Not Ranked     

West Coast with 460 BB. Edelbrock 750 with performer intake and cam.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Running 460, .30 over, 280H Comp cam, roller rockers, alum. heads, Performer RPM intake, Holly 770 Avenger carb, hooked to a built C6 automatic & 9" rear w/350 gears.
It's a riot to have dogs run from me and to set off burglar alarms with with thump of the exhaust.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I love my four-six-oh. Built to cruise all day long with lots of HP and grunt!!

Old 05-14-2003, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 valve cover

What gasket or gasket materials are recommended for replacements on valve covers. Also, who is supplier for Ford Racing polished aluminum valve covers.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I used the rubber valve cover gaskets as supplied by Fel Pro.
I don't have a part # for them, but it should be easy for the parts house to look up.

They work very well as I'm using them on a set of 1" alum. spacers and aluminum "Cobra 460" covers from Tony Brenda.

I needed the spacers due to my roller rockers .

I also have a brand new set of the polished FORD MOTORSPORTS
valve covers that I had purchased and never used because I had orderd the "460" covers and they weren't available for well over a year.

I was going to put these Ford Motorsports covers on the Parts for Sale forum soon, but if your interested send me an email.

Hope this helps you.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, Ford 460
Not Ranked     

'71 460 out of a Lincoln. . .
.030 over, alum pistons, crane cam, performer intake, Ford Motorsport roller rockers, Holley 750 carb. All new stuff except block and heads (orig. cast iron, nothing special here) Dressed up with some chrome, March Pulleys and Alum, Valve covers and Oval Air Filter from Cobra Restorers. Should produce about 400to 425 hp and 525+ torque. This is all hooked to a Dan Williams Top-Loader and a Ford 9" with a 3.73. I have about 600 miles on the WCC and plan to have it painted in June 2003.
I see some of you are in the process of building your engines and can't wait to hear them run. . . Well, when I fired mine up for the first time to break in the cam (open headers) I didn't see my neighbor's pain in the ass barking dog for about 3 days! It was awsome!!!! Best of luck to all buildin' em and drivin' em!
Old 05-27-2003, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Superformance SPF890, with SVO Crate 460, 535hp version. Ford Tech recommended dual plane manifold with 750 Holley to help out midrange torque and street manners.

If anyone running 750 cfm, manual choke, dual pumper, would appreciate tuning data, i.e., jets, rods, power valve, etc.

Mine is out of the box stock. Seems to run rich, loads up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Live in North Florida area. If anyone knows of a good Holley mechanic in this area, please advise.

Thanks,

Lynn Johnson
Old 06-16-2003, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra weber fuel injected 557 C.I.. 800H.P 760LBS. TQ. Magnum T56
Send a message via AIM to MAXVELO
Not Ranked     
Default BIG BLOCK FORD OR GO HOME!

IM RUNNING A JASPER 514 CRATE MOTOR WITH AN ACCEL FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM AND A VORTECH SUPERCHARGER. 820 HP AND I STILL DONT HAVE ENOUGH. THE CAR IS A WEST COAST. THE MOTOR RUNS VERY WELL AND NO MATTER HOW GOOD OF A DRIVER YOU THINK YOU ARE, THIS SETUP WILL HUMBLE YOU EVERY TIME YOU STEP ON IT!!

Last edited by MAXVELO; 08-13-2003 at 01:56 PM..
Old 06-16-2003, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

FE in the Cobra/385 in the race car

572 ci (4.500x4.500)
FMS 4 bolt block prepped Engine Systems,Crower billet crank and rods,JE short skirt pistons 15-1 comp., Ultradyne roller,Indy Cylinder Head ported B series heads,Hogan sheetmetal intake,Enderle birdcatcher alcohol injection, and a MSD crank trigger.
This motor is in a 1990 Ford Probe
2052 lbs.

She is quick!!
Old 06-16-2003, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Custom House of Cobras '72 460 with 27,000 miles in my cobra.