Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 427 side oiler ad value to replica?

I'm considering putting an original 427 side oiler (67) into a replica 427 cobra that I just purchased. I'm wondering how much value would that add to the car? I haven't found very many for sale with original 427 s/o and the ones I have found seem to be priced higher. Thought I would see if anyone has an opinion on this. Sorry if this topic has been hit on before. I'm new to the forum! Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:29 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones56 View Post
I'm considering putting an original 427 side oiler (67) into a replica 427 cobra that I just purchased. I'm wondering how much value would that add to the car? I haven't found very many for sale with original 427 s/o and the ones I have found seem to be priced higher. Thought I would see if anyone has an opinion on this. Sorry if this topic has been hit on before. I'm new to the forum! Thanks in advance!!
Honestly, and not to pick on you, but your question is far too generic to respond to with a quality answer. Who's kit? what are the specs on the car, chassis, what color is it (this all plays into the facts of costs vs quality investment or over investment) Specs on the 427 motor (some were truck motors and hold little real world value stock), which block, which heads, which intake, carb, etc. Side Oiler, center oiler, casting numbers would help.

Bottom line, it is your car, your money, spend it to make you happy, but honestly, do not look at the car as an investment.

Bill S.
PS: Welcome to Club Cobra

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

From what I've seen, yes it would add value, but not as much value as the cost of the engine. However, as stated above, it really depends on what kit it is.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

The value of the car depends on who is buying it. To some, a side oiler may be a liability, to others an asset
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Side oiler,tunnel port heads C70EK,Ford racing pistons C8AX, std bore, steel crank .010,LeMans rods,Ford solid lifter cam, Ford tunnel port intake, electronic distb, Ford adjustable rockers.

Going in a FFR. Does that help?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Side oiler,tunnel port heads C70EK,Ford racing pistons C8AX, std bore, steel crank .010,LeMans rods,Ford solid lifter cam, Ford tunnel port intake, electronic distb, Ford adjustable rockers.

Going in a FFR. Does that help?
The value is in the motor, not the car it goes in.

As for you calling your car (from your other thread) a FFR, sorry, it is not an FFR. Your best bet for this motor is to find another car to put it in and cut your losses.

Bill S.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Simple question, more valuable in regards to the "cool factor" and it might make it easier to sell, but you won't get the money out of it unless it's a really *****in cobra.
How about just pulling it out and put in a FE 390 when you sell it and keep the side oiler for something really cool like a 1962 or 63 big ford.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
The value is in the motor, not the car it goes in.

As for you calling your car (from your other thread) a FFR, sorry, it is not an FFR. Your best bet for this motor is to find another car to put it in and cut your losses.

Bill S.
I only said FFR because I'm considering a FFR. The current body I have didn't cost me anything and I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it. But just out of curiosity, why would it be bad to put it in that car if the value is in the motor itself? Forgive my ignorance!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Probably because the whole would be worth much less than the sum of the parts.

Paul
Old 08-21-2014, 04:25 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
Probably because the whole would be worth much less than the sum of the parts.

Paul
Correct...............

Old 08-21-2014, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So many of us ask these questions all the time the more your involved in the hobby the more educated you will become. These cars like most all toy cars are worth what buyers are willing to pay on any given day. Bottom line is forget about what the car is worth in the end if the price is right to put your combo together give it a go. There is no better teacher than experience itself.

Over 20 yrs ago I with the same question took anothers advise over an expensive FE in favor of a 460 and never regretted it. Good luck and have fun with your project welcome to the forum.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
So many of us ask these questions all the time the more your involved in the hobby the more educated you will become. These cars like most all toy cars are worth what buyers are willing to pay on any given day. Bottom line is forget about what the car is worth in the end if the price is right to put your combo together give it a go. There is no better teacher than experience itself.

Over 20 yrs ago I with the same question took anothers advise over an expensive FE in favor of a 460 and never regretted it. Good luck and have fun with your project welcome to the forum.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help! I found an original 427 side oiler for sale for about 9K. Just wondering if that is a good price?? Thanks
Old 08-30-2014, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I would rather have a Blykins built 427 than an original, more power, more reliable, and I prefer the new aluminum blocks...
Old 08-31-2014, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help! I found an original 427 side oiler for sale for about 9K. Just wondering if that is a good price?? Thanks
I think it entirely depends on the state of it. If it is ready to drop in and go, then it's probably a good price, but if it needs a complete rebuild, it's probably too much, based on my albeit limited knowledge.

Paul
Old 08-31-2014, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

I'm confused. Your first post says you just purchased a car. Later you said you're considering an FFR. Which is it?