Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2015, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: antique and collectable, Ford 460
Not Ranked     
Default Manual trans behind a 460

Ok guys I'm new here and in the process on starting to build an ac cobra with a big block 460 wanting to run a 5or a 6 speed. Needing to know what set up y'all are running what trans,bell housing, flywheel,clutch ect. Any help please.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge, Boss 429
Not Ranked     

I would contact Mike Forte of Forte's Parts Connection. Mike is very knowledgeable and supplied the Tremec TKO 600 behind my Boss 429. I would opt for the close ratio if I had it to do again.
Good luck!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike Forte was the guy we went to see when building our 460 powered car. We have a Lakewood bell, Tremec TKO, aluminum flywheel,11" diaphragm clutch.

Before that had a newly built toploader a very smooth operating transmission with Competition plus Hurst shifter which is for sale.

Mike
Old 10-28-2015, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra weber fuel injected 557 C.I.. 800H.P 760LBS. TQ. Magnum T56
Send a message via AIM to MAXVELO
Not Ranked     

Hello blueblood! I have a viper T56 magnum 6spd and I have a 557 C.I. (460) using a Lakewood bell housing with an adapter plate that I bought on eBay. Using the hydraulic throwout bearing and purchased a hydraulic clutch pedal on eBay as well.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you all for the info. I'm just getting started so I'm sure I will have a lot more questions. I try to find where the questions have already asked so I don't start a new thread but I get tired of looking some times lol. Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Never been a 6-speed fan. The Tremec Magnum T-56's are much bigger, longer, heavier, and more expensive....and you really don't get into a situation where you ever need a 6th gear. Most of the engines for Cobras are a little fussier than most and just don't like to be pulled down to 1200-1300 rpm.

The most common combination for a BBF is a Quicktime bellhousing, McLeod/RAM clutch kit, a TKO 600, and a hydraulic slave setup. Pretty inexpensive in the scheme of things and pretty bulletproof.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

hopefully not a hijack of the thread, but I'm looking at a different option: I have a straight axle 4 link suspension, so if I want to go with a 5 speed anything longer than a toploader will not work (leaves me with no rear suspension travel as the driveshaft gets too short).

Looked at G-force transmissions, they show a 600hp capable T-5: here's from their website: G-Force Transmissions and Long Shifters

Generally, it can be assumed that with the available upgraded mainshaft, the G-Force Street 5-Speed kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. of torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track with a moderate clutch upgrade.

Anyone have any thoughts on this option? I'm running a 460, havent dyno'ed but I'm guessing somewhere close to 500hp flywheel.

Similar option available from Promotion Powertrain, MUSTANG/CAMARO Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutches/Repairs/Parts/Gears FL
Old 10-29-2015, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That G-Force T5 won't last behind a big block, even if it's rated for 600 hp. Astro Performance offers a 550-600 hp T5, but the owner has told me himself that they just won't handle big block torque.

I'd go with a TKO 600 and not think twice....it's not longer than a Toploader.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra weber fuel injected 557 C.I.. 800H.P 760LBS. TQ. Magnum T56
Not Ranked     

Sorry blueblood, didn't mean to bore you with my junk boat anchor of a worthless $6k tranny! Aparently blykins knows it all. I mistakenly thought you were merely asking what setup people had behind a 460. My wife and I like to go on weekend road trips and I thought a 6th gear might do a little better on the highway since I'm running 4:56 gears. But according to blykins, there's no need for a 6th gear so, my bad, I'll just mind my own business .....
Old 10-30-2015, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Complete McLeod setup, from the bell to Flywheel, Super street pro diaphragm clutch. I bought my TKO 600RR from Mike. Smooth easy pedal, no chatter with a dual friction disk, holds 426 RWHP with ease.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVELO View Post
Sorry blueblood, didn't mean to bore you with my junk boat anchor of a worthless $6k tranny! Aparently blykins knows it all. I mistakenly thought you were merely asking what setup people had behind a 460. My wife and I like to go on weekend road trips and I thought a 6th gear might do a little better on the highway since I'm running 4:56 gears. But according to blykins, there's no need for a 6th gear so, my bad, I'll just mind my own business .....
Didn't mean to put a bee in your bonnet, but he was asking for help and opinions. As an engine builder and Tremec reseller, I've been through this dialogue with literally hundreds of people, and have received feedback from the guys with 6-speeds and the guys with 5-speeds.

There's a lot to consider when you switch to a T-56 and obviously, as you mentioned, 4.56 gears is one of them. The other things to consider are the price (big $$$ upgrade), if it will physically fit in the trans tunnel, and if you actually have room on some replicas for any kind of driveshaft whatsoever. When you tack on the extra length, the driveshaft gets really short and that's not a viable situation for a solid rear axle car.

I'm certainly entitled to offer my opinion as well and I have just never came across a situation where a T-56 was the better choice.
Buzz likes this.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Legend Gear & Transmission

Has anyone used a Legend 5 speed?
Old 11-01-2015, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
Ok guys I'm new here and in the process on starting to build an ac cobra with a big block 460 wanting to run a 5or a 6 speed. Needing to know what set up y'all are running what trans,bell housing, flywheel,clutch ect. Any help please.
blykins, I dont see anywhere where blueblood was asking for opinions, but merely what setup people were running. But Im different than most, I try not to bash other peoples setups/equipment/configurations. I figure thaty did it the way it work for them, for what they use it for......
Old 11-01-2015, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I guess he didn't come right out and say, "I want your opinion..." but then again, he's not doing a show for the Discovery Channel on what transmission the Cobra replica guys like.

It's pretty cut and dried, he's starting a brand new build and is looking for data and info. I gave him my perspective based on over a decade of customer transactions and personal findings as well.

Don't get wadded up about it....
Old 11-01-2015, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
That G-Force T5 won't last behind a big block, even if it's rated for 600 hp. Astro Performance offers a 550-600 hp T5, but the owner has told me himself that they just won't handle big block torque.

I'd go with a TKO 600 and not think twice....it's not longer than a Toploader.
Thanks!! I had thought TKO600 was longer for some reason...
Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys I'm new to this so any help is appreciated. The reason I was thinking 6 speed was I just remember getting beat by a 6speed camero in a gt. Buddy of mine has a cobra with a6 speed and blew him away on top end. It's not that I'm gonna be racing a lot just really hate to have a cobra and some camero pulls me on top end. But I know I'm talking about a completely different animal here with the big block and the weight difference. Again thank you all.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I would not recommend trying to take any newer Camaro SS, Shelby Mustang, etc on the top end with a stock bodied Cobra. They can be pushed up there but whether it stays on the ground or not at the 150 - 160 mph it takes to outrun one can depend on body rake, chassis height, air flow through the grill and under the chassis, etc, etc. They weren't exactly developed in a wind tunnel with modern aerodynamics.
SPF1061 and Bernica like this.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I would not recommend trying to take any newer Camaro SS, Shelby Mustang, etc on the top end with a stock bodied Cobra. They can be pushed up there but whether it stays on the ground or not at the 150 - 160 mph it takes to outrun one can depend on body rake, chassis height, air flow through the grill and under the chassis, etc, etc. They weren't exactly developed in a wind tunnel with modern aerodynamics.
I would second that, and add the following Where exactly do you think you will be driving that 150-160 mph will be a viable and safe option? Most of the gear headed machismo stuff that we do is in the sub 100 mph range and any 4 or 5 spd will do just fine. The 6th gear adds some fuel savings, but unless you have a really low geared rear end, you will not be running high enough rpms to have any acceleration in 6th gear until you are at about the 100 mph range.

Besides, you sound badder than them any ways.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

I would recommend to just keep it simple, toploader tranny, clutch fork

Either a close ratio toploader with a 3.54 rear, or

if you want highway cruising capability,

then a wide ratio toploader, with a 3.07 rear
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 11-13-2015, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar, 427 Center Oiler
Not Ranked     
Smile

I like the 5 speeds. TKOs have 2 different 5th gears, pick your poison, one for racing and one for cruising. Check out the transmission calculators out there to figure the cruising RPM you'd be happy with...with your selected rear gear and tire size.

I went with the T56 magnum (From Brent ) in my Daytona Coupe. I didn't have to pick the poison in this case. And it shifts like a dream compared to TKO 600s. It did fit in my car. I have IRS and a 3:70 rear end. 6th is great for cruising at 75 and fifth goes like a striped ass ape with the help of Brent's small block.

BTW, I wouldn't race a new Camaro or mustang either over 100-120 mph in a Cobra. You'll find out (if you don't know already) the 120 in a Cobra feels like 160. Now in my Coupe......

mat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: