Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2003, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default engine mounts 429/460

Hi to all, Dave in UK, cobra build going slow(dax bbf 501/c6) I have been putting the eng/trans in/out like you wouldn't believe!! I am trying to use a set of ceramic coated sanderson headers that I picked up from ebay, the lhs is tight but I will shim/shave to fit, the problem is the rhs, the collector fouls the chassis/eng mount, I have sliced a bit of meat off the frame rail but wonder if anyone has used a type of mount I'm not aware of, I am using a one piece mount from an early t/bird, the chassis mounts have been fabricated to that but there are lots of ford options, any ideas?? also I have limited space for a driveshaft, I would like to use a cardan joint but the t/bird one is a tad too long, anyone used a smaller one? and if so which!! the diff is a jag powerlok, anyway enough for now, appreciate any feedback as always. Dave Keane south coast UK
Old 02-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave,

Can't help with the headers/mounts unless you show some pictures, I'm afraid.

Re: the u-joint, you haven't got hold of one of those CV joints that is approx two normal u-joints in length, have you? I know over here they came in some of the early Lincolns but maybe some snuck (sneaked would be the formal term) onto the TBird shafts. The output shaft of the trans had some linear needle bearings that were really entertaining to install, and said shaft would need to be swapped if you wanted to use a "normal" u-joint.

My E-M has the C6/Jag rear combo and it works beautifully

Or have I misinterpreted the question again...

Let us know a bit more,

Tom
Old 02-06-2003, 12:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, I'll try and get some pictures re the mounts/headers, as regards the drveshaft problem, have you used the p/l diff? and if so how about your offset? what distance does your chassis give you between the c6 yoke-diff flange? and yes one of the joints I have here is akin to two cv joints with a ball/needle rollers in the middle, is that the type you refer to? a friend suggested that there may be a similar joint from a jeep? that may be smaller and fit my application whilst maintaining strength, oh well I suppose it would be easy if everything slotted together like a jigsaw!!! Dave
Old 02-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dave,

Well, I don't know how much this might help, but I've uploaded three pictures of my setup into my gallery. I believe the Club Cobra software has made them the first three should you wish to have a look...

Alas, my driveshaft safety tube is in place so the u-joints are hidden! I can assure you that the u-joints all look exactly like the ones in the Jag rear's half-shafts, and none are the old double CV type joint. There is only one at the front of the driveshaft and another at the rear.

In stick pictures, a Jag rear half-shaft or C6 driveshaft appear exactly the same:

Trans + ------ + diff

[ where "+" = a u-joint, "-----" = shaft ]

or

Diff + ----- + hub

The old double style would be represented as:

Trans ++ ----- + diff

where the double plus represents the old Lincoln style CV joint. I firmly believe you do not want the older style. The worse news is that if I recall correctly, the original driveshaft had those CV/double u-joint monsters at both ends! There truly wouldn't be any room for a driveshaft if you tried to do that!

I don't know whether this communicates the similarity or not - let me know!

The down side for you is that the trans's output shaft is probably different due to the front u-joint being different. If so, the C6's output shaft may need to be changed.

Realize please this is "sight unseen" so may be totally off the mark!

A picture of your output shaft end with and without the u-joint would be quite useful.

Regards,

Tom

PS: I do have the P/L. It doesn't change the driveshaft situation at all being internal to the case - wouldn't drive without it

PPS: I'd guess the driveshaft is somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe approximately about possibly nearly somewhat near to a foot long (the car isn't here, so can't measure but maybe you can get an idea from the pictures I hope).
Old 02-07-2003, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, looked at the pictures, they were useful, that chassis of yours looks good and beefy, I only have about 7 inches between the jag flange and the rear of the c6!!! which obviously compounds the offset, and limits the joints I can use, I can move the rear of the tranny over slightly to help the lineup, "can I join the dont give up easy club"!!!! Dave
Old 02-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello Dave,

Whoa! Seven inches is not a good number for that area

I would say you'd need twice that for a reasonable fit.

Maybe someone else can chime in here with some actual experience?

There is a shorter tailshaft and housing available for the C6. I believe they came in 4WD vehicles such as the full sized Bronco.

Or you could move the engine forward a bit (I knew you didn't want me to say that ).

Do you have any photos to post yet?

Regards,

Tom

PS: By electing to construct a Cobra replica, you are automatically enrolled in the WDGUE club
Old 02-07-2003, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, the tranny has just been rebuilt and I am pretty much stuck with what I have, I know someone else in UK some time ago had a similar experience with a bbf/c6 combi, and it worked so fingers crossed, moving the engine forward is an option but I recently had the kit supplier redo them as they had put the wrong ones in, I am on late shifts at work so it may be a while but I'll get photos when possible. Dave
Old 02-08-2003, 03:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dave,

Just came across a pic of the short tailshaft. Go here:

eBay auction for short C6 tailshaft

Not suggesting you buy this one - it doesn't look like he'll ship overseas anyway - just giving an option.

Of course, you could come to the Fling and pick it up yourself in June

Regards,

Tom
Old 02-13-2003, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, thanks for that info re the short tailshaft, I'm working on it, will update once I have some news, I'd love to come to the fling but it's not possible this year, who knows in the future? regards. Dave