Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd henderson View Post
trying to decide small block or big block? --any happy big blocks drivers
I don;t know of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd henderson View Post
thanks for all the input ,i guess i will be happy with either.you cant make a bad choice
You can make a bad choice on who builds you the motor.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Early Contemporary 427SC w/ '66 427s.o. (car built in '79) by Snow White Rods (Fresno, CA); XKE Series II front/rear suspension (AMP lower A-arms/half shafts), CWI rebuilt IRS, 4-spd Toploader, PS Engineering knock-off rims.
Send a message via AIM to gjcomb Send a message via Skype™ to gjcomb
Not Ranked     

I agree with Silverback51 - I am also owner of a big block in my machine. But with a big block come some problems (like heat) and advantages (lotsa torque).

You have to make a decision on what you are going to do with the car and go from there.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

We still on this?

FIA & Slabside = SB.

427 - Street or S/C style = BB.

The end.
KevinW likes this.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
My tag line gives perspective...
Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default It's all about what you want.

As far as heat and a big block goes, I can't get mine to run hot enough, and the block is 1/3 filled and the engine is supercharged...so if you're having trouble in that regard I think you have a cooling system deficiency or tune problem. I spent hours on the dyno last saturday with no supplemental cooling fan and a ton of run time and the hottest it ever got was 167deg F.

As far as happy...I'm very happy with my choice. Durable. Makes tremendous power with ease on pump gas even with a very soft tune and low rpm. 600/600 to the tires at 5000rpm having not reached a torque peak yet. If I had to guess, I'll have a torque somewhere around 5500 and peak power somewhere up around 7000...power to burn. And, this is with 16deg total advance and an 11:1 AFR on a 7.8:1 compression supercharged tiny 435" big block pump gas build.

I can only imagine what it's going to make at 12:1 AFR and 24deg advance...which I'll know this Saturday if my fuel injectors arrive. Probably near 700ft-lbs and over 800hp to the tires on pump gas. That looks like a good guess at this point.

The great part is...this is being done with an OEM block and OEM crank, OEM fuel injection, and a 429 based build and a relatively small supercharger (Vortech V7-JT). Just imagine what you could do with a 545" build on a race block with a huge blower. The big valves and big ports of the 385 makes power so much more easily than on a small block platform unless you start looking at exotic parts. It's amazing how much you can do with this platform on a budget. I have less than 8K into my engine; including the EFI and Supercharger.

You'd spend a hell of a lot more to try to duplicate the output on a small block platform. You'd have to start with a race block and a billet crank, then top it with some exotic heads. By that point, you've already come near the price tag of my completed engine assembly. Power per dollar, the 385 is a pretty amazing platform.

That said, I've found that more than 500rwhp in a Cobra is pretty ridiculous; that's near the traction limit starting at freeway speeds. If you have no experience behind the wheel of low-tech cars with big power, I wouldn't recommend more than 400rwhp for the first time out; that's enough to scare most anyone. Mine is basically a half-throttle street car; WOT is reserved for straight line track duty.

B
120mm likes this.

Last edited by ByronRACE; 04-15-2008 at 11:16 AM..
Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MKIV 331 Stroker carb'd
Not Ranked     

Has anyone found the stats on Carroll Shelby's Cobra wins.

How many races were won by small block Cobras vs Big Block Cobras.

Over the years I have read somewhere that most of the early races were won using the small block Cobras. And the Cobras with the V=Big Blocks were heavily modified as I understand.

Anyone have the REAL Numbers ???
Old 05-23-2017, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

so are as i am aware, it was the small block cars that won at international events. But these were virtually all Ace/289 type bodies.

Happy to be corrected.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
Has anyone found the stats on Carroll Shelby's Cobra wins.

How many races were won by small block Cobras vs Big Block Cobras.

Over the years I have read somewhere that most of the early races were won using the small block Cobras. And the Cobras with the V=Big Blocks were heavily modified as I understand.

Anyone have the REAL Numbers ???
I believe you're correct in that most Cobra victories came with small-block cars, but it wasn't that the big-block cars weren't as good as the small-block cars - the racing landscape changed as well
Old 05-24-2017, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Carroll Shelby originally wanted the aluminum 390 FE for the S/C. NASCAR would not give them up. That said, he was probably looking for to keep the car balanced and get as much power as possible.
If your Classic Roadster has a 96 inch, wheelbase it would throw off the weight bias relative to a 90 inch wheelbase car. In which case you might want to consider a lighter power plant, if you desire better handling.
I was considering a big block, but only if I could get a hold of one of the aluminum Ford blocks that are no longer in production. I ended up going with an iron Dart block stroked to 427. I built it to have better low-end torque numbers versus high-end horsepower. I am very happy with it.
Whatever you decide I am sure you will enjoy. Probably the best recommendation, is just to make sure it will be reliable on pump gas.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Big block versus small block will always be an individual choice mine was big block for reasons I'm sure a few do not get. What ever the power plant choice for your ride make it all it can be it will pay in the end. Having cars like these should bring out that inner desire for wanting one every time you walk by it. For me part of it is lifting the hood and seeing the engine bay full of big inch iron capable of putting a smile on my face that won't go away.

What other reasons would someone want one of these cars,racing them is certainly a thrill some enjoy I did a while back. These days a spirited row through the gears, passing, or giving someone a white knuckle ride sure ramps up the fun factor. No matter we cannot live this life over so why do it with regrets. Install the engine of choice climb behind the wheel and have the kind of fun these cars are capable of dishing out.

Mike
Old 05-25-2017, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
As far as heat and a big block goes, I can't get mine to run hot enough, and the block is 1/3 filled and the engine is supercharged...so if you're having trouble in that regard I think you have a cooling system deficiency or tune problem. I spent hours on the dyno last saturday with no supplemental cooling fan and a ton of run time and the hottest it ever got was 167deg F.

As far as happy...I'm very happy with my choice. Durable. Makes tremendous power with ease on pump gas even with a very soft tune and low rpm. 600/600 to the tires at 5000rpm having not reached a torque peak yet. If I had to guess, I'll have a torque somewhere around 5500 and peak power somewhere up around 7000...power to burn. And, this is with 16deg total advance and an 11:1 AFR on a 7.8:1 compression supercharged tiny 435" big block pump gas build.

I can only imagine what it's going to make at 12:1 AFR and 24deg advance...which I'll know this Saturday if my fuel injectors arrive. Probably near 700ft-lbs and over 800hp to the tires on pump gas. That looks like a good guess at this point.

The great part is...this is being done with an OEM block and OEM crank, OEM fuel injection, and a 429 based build and a relatively small supercharger (Vortech V7-JT). Just imagine what you could do with a 545" build on a race block with a huge blower. The big valves and big ports of the 385 makes power so much more easily than on a small block platform unless you start looking at exotic parts. It's amazing how much you can do with this platform on a budget. I have less than 8K into my engine; including the EFI and Supercharger.

You'd spend a hell of a lot more to try to duplicate the output on a small block platform. You'd have to start with a race block and a billet crank, then top it with some exotic heads. By that point, you've already come near the price tag of my completed engine assembly. Power per dollar, the 385 is a pretty amazing platform.

That said, I've found that more than 500rwhp in a Cobra is pretty ridiculous; that's near the traction limit starting at freeway speeds. If you have no experience behind the wheel of low-tech cars with big power, I wouldn't recommend more than 400rwhp for the first time out; that's enough to scare most anyone. Mine is basically a half-throttle street car; WOT is reserved for straight line track duty.

B
That sounds WICKED! Good luck with the remainder of your tune and let us know how it turns out.