Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 65 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default GA Emissions

I have a Backdraft Racing Cobra I bought 4 years ago and titled and registered in Cherokee County. Now I move to Cobb and they are sending me to get emissions and to the Clean Air Force. Does anyone know the procedure to get through this without having to modify my car. There is no way in hell I am putting Cats and computers and all these mods on my car. PLEASE HELP
Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I know what you mean. It doesn't make sense to apply for a Non Conforming Vehicle application and the Clean Air Commission tells you to add a computer module to your engine and catalytic converters to your side pipes, which will look ridiculous, not to mention kill the value of the car.

This area of the GA laws need to be updated by someone knowledgeable about these cars. They are in better condition than most new vehicles, yet the laws are preventing owners from titling and obtaining tags due to misunderstanding by the DOR guidelines and employees.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

If your car is ten years old or older and you are 65 and up. Or you have family at that age or outside the clean air boundaries. You can transfer the title and go that route otherwise????????????

http://localrhythms.files.wordpress....03/screwed.jpg

The office that can explain the rules is on Camp Creek do not trust what some reps will tell you. They (Clean Air Force) reps are just as confused. I talked to one in Cobb County and she gave me false info.

What year is on your title?

Last edited by Ralphy; 03-13-2010 at 09:41 AM..
Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is titled 2004 based on MSO, but has 65 Cobra Roadster for Model.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beast
Not Ranked     

You need to get your car titled/registered as a 65 so you don't have to worry about emissions.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From what I know, his car falls under the kit car rules. If his car is a 2004 it must meet 2004 emissions. If you read them, forget about the earlier exemption you can not be grandfathered on a 2004.

Also the office I went to will not change the make in any way. It would be impossible to change years with a VIN already in place. Oh, Georgia does search out of state records even on non 17 digit VIN numbers. They did it to me. Just thought I would throw that out, I know that does not apply here.

Go to page 99.
http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/p...les_Manual.pdf

I feel for you DDonald!!!

Last edited by Ralphy; 03-13-2010 at 08:38 PM..
Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK2, Ford Racing 345HP Crate motor, TFS Street Heat, Redline ECU, T5, 3 link
Not Ranked     

Yep. We have gone over this hundreds of times. If you want a title, you have to register/title it based on the MSO.

If you DO NOT want a title, you can register it as a 65 replica, and no emmissions are needed.

I registered mine by affixing a Factory Five serial plate, had a T-22B signed off on, and submitted valid insurance, T-22B, and a bill of sale, and walked out with an antique tag.

I had to make sure that EVERYTHING matched. The T-22B, Bill of Sale, and Insurance all said "1965 Factory Five MKII Roadster".
Old 03-25-2010, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If his car is already titled to his serial plate in GA. Are you suggesting that when he shows up to register as a 65? There will be no flag as to the same serial number at the title office?

I'm not sure what he has. So I'm just throwing out a possible situation.

One more thing. I never have found it again or tried very hard. However I did find an area that stated a vehicle must be titled to the year it represented. A major contradiction in the GA law.

Last edited by Ralphy; 03-25-2010 at 09:34 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK2, Ford Racing 345HP Crate motor, TFS Street Heat, Redline ECU, T5, 3 link
Not Ranked     

Ralphy,

Yes there could be a red flag as to the same serial number. Our county won't even let you IN THE DOOR if you do not have a valid GA Drivers License.

Wow. I have searched everywhere and you could be right about the year it represented part. I could not find it anywhere, but did find this info:

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/t..._vehicles.aspx
Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2385K - 418W
Not Ranked     
Default Here ya go....

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/p...les_Manual.pdf

Page 100 of this pdf document pretty clearly states the process and page 101 shows how the car will be represented on the Title.

(....just noticed that this is the same info Ralphy has already posted.)

Good Luck !

Pig

Last edited by Pigfarm70; 03-26-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pig,

Some who title new kits are getting around this as bstuke says.

Read this page and read between the lines.
http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titles/required.asp
Old 04-08-2010, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 65 Roadster
Not Ranked     

I have gone through the process of obtaining a title and like the document says, the year on the title was a 2004 because that was the year it was built. Now the Clear Air F'ers are trying to make the car conform to a 2004,s standards. I guess their head is too far in the darkness of their arse to see that a 65 replica doesn't even have fuel injection and therefore no computer to even hook their little sensor up to to check the emmissions. I am just going to move out of the 13 countys that have this dumbass rule and start giving my taxes to a better district.
If anyone knows any other loopholes please keep posting
Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII
Not Ranked     

First I had to file a NonConforming Status application with the Clean Air Force. They contacted me and asked for photos of the vehicle, assembly information like chassis and engine and I had to provide all my receipts to show it was an assembled vehicle. DO NOT CALL IT A KIT CAR - call it an ASSEMBLED VEHICLE.

Then you will have to get a WAIVER for emissions where you basically take it to the emissions station and they do an non OBD test so you have to go to an All Vehicles Welcome station and they put in the waiver # to do the test. It will probably still fail. Take the car home and tweak timing or fuel filter, etc (nothing expensive). Then take it back.

After this process call the Clean Air Force again and have the car emissions station call also. Have them and you complain that basically this is a `1960 body car and an non-emissions engine that they are trying to get to pass and it's not going to pass but have them state that THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAR THAT CAN BE FIXED. ALSO BE SURE TO EMPHASIZE THAT THIS IS A SHOW CAR AND NOT AN EVERYDAY DRIVER (giving them your mileage would help).

My emissions station called two people - Robert Mitchell and Dianne Batt. I don't know who these people are exactly, but after my call and their call Mr. Mitchell emailed me from Clean Air Force to ask for "Proof" that my engine was an engine from a year PRIOR to the years required for emissions. Which is where Bill and Susan from Southern Automotive came in (you would contact the person you bought your engine from for the engine stamp #'s that show the year and model of engine). Susan sent me an official letter on letterhead stating the year of the engine and supporting documentation which I sent to Clean Air Force.

Two days later I had another "waiver" to take to the emissions station and the car PASSED easily and now it is Gwinnett County tagged and registered. YEAH! This took about 4 months of time to accomplish but now it's set for each year to come it should go smoothly and pass.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow! So it seems the process has changed significantly.

I now have to wonder if the process I used is even valid anymore.

Although like I said, a title was not a requirement for me personally, and the process I used does not result in a title being issued.

I hope I am in a grandfather situation and don't have to go through a new process and can simply renew online.

Thanks for posting details on the process. I hear the folks at the tag office behind Mall of Georgia are friendlier to work with.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, he sidestepped the kit car laws.

Georgia's Clean Air Force: Other Exemptions

Below link is what I think the EPA at a federal level released. Seems they are on our side in some cases.
Kit Car Policy | Importing Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

GA seems to have overridden the federal policy after the date of Dec. 31, 1998.

Kit Cars

A kit car is a motor vehicle assembled from a manufacturer's kit. The kit body is placed on a frame that may be purchased with the kit, purchased separately or homemade. The engine and transmission are usually purchased separately or may be from the same vehicle as the frame.

A kit car does not utilize a chassis from an engine/chassis combination certified to meet emission control standards or where the original manufacturer's identification has been eliminated due to the replacement of the vehicle's body with one of a different make and/or style.

Kit cars that did not receive Non-Conforming Status by December 31, 1998, or those registered in one of the 13 covered counties after December 31, 1998, must have all the required emission control systems for the model year shown on the registration card.

Click here to visit the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) website for complete information on kit cars.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy; 12-31-2011 at 08:22 AM..
Old 12-31-2011, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
must have all the required emission control systems for the model year shown on the registration card.
I guess that is how I got around it. I am registered as a 1965.

This is all great info.