LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveguess View Post
i was or still am looking for an ACR extreme when this cobra came up. if after the 18th this cobra doesn't happen it's back to the viper search for me.
why? there are so many nice cobras on the market... just go to cobracountry.com if you want a top shelf car look at the CSX, Kirkham, ERA, Superformance, Hi-tech. etc... I may be missing some, but these are all top shelf cars that wont disappoint and kick the ****e out of a viper......
Old 07-12-2020, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX6027
Not Ranked     

kick it in a straight line but no where else. i want to use the viper as a daily which i don't have at the moment and also be able to track it at utah motor sports complex. the proble with cobra shopping is every build is different, like people here have said you really need to see, sit and drive a cobra before buying it. and i am out of the country which makes things difficult. with that said i did talk to a buddy last night who used to own a CSX4000. same set up. he said that the cars for the most part are very simple, no computers no electronics. he said if it runs it works, at 20 miles there will be a lot of dialing in and tuning what not but over all it wont be a hornets nest. so i am going to bid on it. i am thinking 125 -130 max with the buying commission in. if it happens i have a bucket list car and maybe a really good one, if not i can keep looking when the world goes back to semi normal. i will definitely keep everyone on this thread fully up to date on what transpires good or bad.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

https://www.mecum.com/lots/KC0310-92...-427-roadster/

this appears to be the first time the car was sold at mecums auction in 2010. the car shows 1 miles, it is also missing the glove box signature at this stage. it did sell. the car sold for 84k at that auction in 2010

Last edited by steveguess; 07-12-2020 at 05:09 PM..
Old 07-12-2020, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

any idea who the owner is
Old 07-12-2020, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Steve, I have a close ratio top loader with a 3:54 rear gearing in my cobra race car. It works great on the track, as it puts 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears at a consistent 1,00 rpms between gears for smooth shifting between gears on the track At 30 mph in 1st you are at about 3100 rpms. At 30 mph in second you are at about 2100 rpms. I would suggest that you alter your price based on having the gearing changed in the transmission to the wide ratio top loader, as it is more road friendly. That may be one of the reasons that it as not driven much.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

any idea of the cost of gearing changes
Old 07-12-2020, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Well worth checking out the Second Strike (Superformance) website and playing with their gearing calculator.
You can dial into the calculator the CR Toploader and your rear axle ratio and check out the RPMs and speeds.

https://www.secondstrike.com/Technical/GearCalc.asp

Good luck with the potential purchase

Cheers!
Glen
Old 07-12-2020, 07:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Well worth checking out the Second Strike (Superformance) website and playing with their gearing calculator.
Naah, that can wait until he gets the car home and finds out whether the block is cracked or not.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

naah, lets wait till he actually owns it first, then see if he has to push it into the garage or if it will actually drive. i'm already expecting it to have square tires, god only knows what 10 year oil is like, the gas may not even be gas any more. very first thing i'm doing is calling the owner.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i just saw your pm and responded to it but im not sure it went.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
any idea of the cost of gearing changes
Steve,

David Kee Toploaders has a gear kit for changing from close ratio to wide ratio listed for $560. You will have to also include labor costs to remove and replace the transmission and the gears.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

so the story goes as follows:
2009 shelby american chassis sold to T&E legendary, genesis 427 side oiler iron block matched with a 4 sp toploader is installed.
2010 car goes to mecum auction in Kansas city with 1 mile on it and is sold to Tim Brando TNT collection for $84k without signature on the glove box.
2011-2012 Tim Brando ( CBS sports broadcaster ) is a close personal friend of Carroll Shelby gets him to sign the car ( it is possibly the last car he signed but there is no provenance of that.
2010-2020 the car sits in the TNT muscle car collection ( 19 miles acquired in starting and moving the car over a 10 year period.)
2020 entire Tim Brando collection is sold at mecums. the cobra went for 130k reserve was 125k
the full build of the car is validated.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:36 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
so the story goes as follows:
2009 shelby american chassis sold to T&E legendary, genesis 427 side oiler iron block matched with a 4 sp toploader is installed.
2010 car goes to mecum auction in Kansas city with 1 mile on it and is sold to Tim Brando TNT collection for $84k without signature on the glove box.
2011-2012 Tim Brando ( CBS sports broadcaster ) is a close personal friend of Carroll Shelby gets him to sign the car ( it is possibly the last car he signed but there is no provenance of that.
2010-2020 the car sits in the TNT muscle car collection ( 19 miles acquired in starting and moving the car over a 10 year period.)
2020 entire Tim Brando collection is sold at mecums. the cobra went for 130k reserve was 125k
the full build of the car is validated.

Yet, the question remains, did you buy it

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-18-2020, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

and yes i did buy it
Old 07-18-2020, 05:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
and yes i did buy it
Well this is fun; when do you get to take it for a first ride?
Old 07-18-2020, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

it is being delivered to utah this coming week. i arrive in utah on the 24th. apparently the car runs fine, it was moved several times at the auction and i watched it on tv cross the bidding block on it's own power. the guy i was dealing with on the phone said it's loud as hell, they had to shut it off to do the bidding.
rodneym likes this.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alright, then we'll look for a first drive vid to be posted on the 25th.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

Congratulations and enjoy. Unless they said that all of the fluids have been changed, I would suggest changing the oil and checking the radiator fluid. Not enough miles to make much of a difference on the transmission or differential. Although, it probably would not hurt to change them as well, as oil does tend to deteriorate over time. Take a close look at the age of the tires, if original replace them as they will have deteriorated over time. My only other suggestions would be to keep the revs at 4,000 or below for the first few hundred miles as you break things in, and make the first drive a long enough one to bring the engine up to temp and burn off any condensation that has collected. It is possible that the engine has not been brought up to temp in some time, if ever if it was only moved around to change storage spots.

Good luck, and yes please post video.

Jim
Old 07-18-2020, 06:25 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
and yes i did buy it
Kind of figured you did, congratulations, can't wait to hear your impressions once you get behind the wheel.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-18-2020, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on the purchase. All excellent information from Jim, except that the tyres would be 11 years old, so definitely replace them before any remotely serious driving.

Cheers!
Glen