21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2003, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another Newbie Looking For Advice.......

Hello,
As you can see, I’m new to this site, and I’m glad I found it. I am about 80% sure I want to jump in and build a Cobra replica. I am no stranger to mechanical work although I am now in the computer industry. In a prior life I worked for a local company (now defunct) called Performance and Classic Cars Unlimited. We were around in the late 70’s and early 80’s in the Smyrna area. The owner specialized in Shelbys and Panteras, and we vintage raced a 427 S/C and a 289 Lemans roadster. So I do have a background in the real cars. Unfortunately, I don’t have the money for a real one, so this is my only alternative.

I’m posting here to ask what kit you might suggest. I do have a budget. In fact, I am trying to decide between this and a new ’04 SVT Cobra, so that gives you an idea of the money I can spend. I have visited the Factory Five site and some others, but I need some expert advice from those of you who have been where I’m headed. I would like to see some of the different kits to. Do you guys visit some of the cruise nights in the metro area? Do you have any other get togethers that I might crash and actually see some of these kits?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 06-25-2003, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

Unique comes to mind as a great kit for you;close to home(Alabama),good service and several local guys to help you out if you have questions.I am almost finished with a Hunter cobra(also a good choice)and recently purchased a kirkham (also a good choice).I am sure many local guys who visit this site will be happy to let you see their cars and give good advice on the builds. chuck
Old 06-25-2003, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Scott, just keep an eye on this forum. If you pull down the "Local Clubs" menu, you will see an Atlanta splinter group. We succeed in meeting atleast once a month. Look forward to seeing you.

TR
Old 06-25-2003, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1427
Not Ranked     

Scott,

I'm a new owner. Bought my car already built though. Practical reasons and it's cheaper/quicker than building it myself... and the woman doesn't get peeved cause I'm in the garage every free moment of the week. It's a FFR and I had planned on owning one from this manufactuer for YEARS (had the postcard thumb-tacked to my desk). Main reasoning being... I love Mustangs - been through 21 of them ranging from 1965 GT Fbk to a 94 SVT Cobra .. but most were 5.0s and SVOs ... so it made sense to me that I should stick with something I know. EFI and Mustang parts. The versitility and sheer massive amounts of aftermarkets parts that can carry over to the FFR is endless. Mustang this ... Mustang that. You get the picture. Then there's the price. I'd love to own a Superperformance (built to suit) or a Kirkham (just something about it actually being aluminum) .. but I know my limitations... and my wallet's limitations. There was a time when I would have liked nothing but seeing a big sideoiler sitting between the rails - thought that a fuel injected motor just doesn't quite look right when you pull the hood ... but I got over it. This FFR I bought is sweeeet. If someone wants to critisize it cause it doesn't LOOK like an original, then they're showing their ass.

If you're an old Big Block Carb guy .. go for it. Stay with what you know. I have a few friends that own Uniques .. they're VERY nice. Seen more than few of them ripping up the Grand Prix track in Talladega - and was awe-struck. I only wish FFR made a 289 FIA kit .. that is my favorite.

You're welcome to come by and look at mine anytime we can agree on a free evening. Rides are free. Just ask. I'm in Marietta near the East/West connector.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Scott,

I 2nd the Unique idea, as youwould have lot's of local support, experience, and the Weavers (who own and run Unique in Gadsen AL) are a class act. FFR's can be real nice as well if the builder puts some time into it. We have several nice ones locally you can check out. I think you would enjoy a Cobra MUCH more than an SVT if it is not a daily driver. I recommend you watch this forum for the next event. Welcome to the club.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Hey Scott welcome aboard. I am putting the finishing touches to my Unique this week. You need to come check it out. I will share what I learned and enlighten you as to what the cost will be. I did about 90% of the bulid by myself, all of the body work included. I had a buddy help with the paint (and Beer drinking). I will be working on the car every night this week and all day Sat. and part of Sunday.

If you go with Unique you can draw on what chill and I learned. Our cars were delivered together, he finished first but mine is faster and sounds better his looks nicer but he is a waxer

Another Scott lives about a nile down the road and he is building a Shell Valley, you can check it out at the same time. About 3 miles in the other direction you can see the Kirkham TC just got (not that any of us can afford one)

Randy

Last edited by GeorgiaSnake; 06-26-2003 at 03:28 AM..
Old 06-26-2003, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OF: welcome aboard: My vote is for Unique too, Best car for the $$. I have had mine since March 2001: Bought it already built, Come visit anytime, We also get together quite often: Very active group here. Jump in! cb
Old 06-26-2003, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was originally drawn to the Factory Five because of cost, but i investigated the Unique more closely, I can see where, after you option out the FFR to the level you would want it, the cost difference between the two gets pretty small. And, as many of you stated, they are close and I could save a enormous amount for crating and shipping. I even have a friend in Gadsden that has a hot rod shop. I could drop it there and they could handle the paint and body work. Hmmm. I think I need to make a roadtrip to Alabama.

Plus, I really do like the 289 FIA car . Now, if only someone made a 289 USRRC car with that laid back windshield! Now that would seal the deal!

Thanks for all of the replies and advise. I will take you guys up on the invitation to look your cars over more closely.

Scott

Last edited by OutaFocus; 06-26-2003 at 10:39 AM..
Old 06-26-2003, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If building it yourself is the top priority, FFR is a good choice. There are a myriad of other factors to consider, too. Here are a few other companies to check out:

B&B
Backdraft Racing
Carcepts
Hunter's

Plus a few more a little higher up the food chain:

Lone Star
Shell Valley
Unique

These are only a sampling of all the choices. Even if you're not interested in a manufacturer, for whatever reason, you can still learn something from them. My advice is to spend enough time researching until you understand all the tradeoffs and make the most educated choice you can. In my case this process took more than a year.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

It is cheaper and easier to get an allready built car, the money you save can be used to upgrade it to how you want it. Not saying you shouldn't build, but for the same amount of money, you can get more car on the used market right now.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mr.Fixit,

I understand what you're saying and I have looked into that. one of the reasons I am considering this is

1) I would enjoy the building process as much (or more) than the driving.

2) Like Burger King says , I can have it my way.

3) and most importantly, I have a 15 yr old I would like to have help me and do it together.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

I also like the Unique Replica. The deluxe pallet kit is available in varying stages of the build. This will allow you to be creative and personalize the car but without a welder and a metal fab. shop in your garage. I would love to have a Kirkham but I could not justify the expense. I like the Superformance car but I wanted more of a project for myself. If I were going to build a car to primarily race it would be a FFR. The ERA is probably the closest to the look of the old cobras ( I am not going to say original...it is too much of a pain in the a$$)
I will only mention these because they are what I looked at and drove on the way to my own decision.

Some people buy a complete car and drive away. They are not an capital building asset so you will save movey on a used car if you shop around.

Some kits are a much larger project then they appear on the surface and either never get completed or you have more $$ in them when your done than a Kirkham and they are worth .10 on the dollar.

Good luck to you
Old 06-26-2003, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Unique's are nice.
Another alternative to "building' is get a used car, then redo it how you want. Treat ot like a restoration of a not too old classic. I have done that for a couple of customers. Repaint it another color, add upgraded brakes, remove and rebuild motor so it is a tire shredding stroker, add pin drive wheels, etc.

The more you research your options before you commit to a purchase, the better value you will get, and the car will suit your needs that much more closely.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey,,,don't forget Classic Roadster! A little bigger and wider than the standard, but SOME of us like that.

.....(not to mention I just happen to have one for sale). LOL

Ernie
Old 06-26-2003, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OF: Mr. Fixit is right: As meentioned above: Bought my car (Unique) used n 200: Had less than 1000 miles on it. These cars seem never to be finished: Upgraded the brakes, redid the interior, want to upgrade the ngine (390 stock now: want to take to 406: Get 430 hp if Southern Automotive does it), redo the exhaust. Alo had to do the the radiator, starter, few othr items. What was nice is that I had a car to"play" with right away (drove it home right through dowtown Atlanta) and upgraded as I went. Having a running car was motivation to continue. Lots of cars never get built. As I said, even a "comleted" car has a lot of roo for improvement. And it's a buyers market out there. IMHO. Contact me anytime. Chip in Atlanta, GA. cb
Old 06-26-2003, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I may have spent a bit more $ but I know every square inch of the entire car. I have the satisfaction of knowing I did it and can pinpoint any little bug or vibration. I have a clear picture of what I want to change over the winter and know the quality of every component. It has been fun with a few ah $hits along the way but I'd do it again.

Randy
Old 06-26-2003, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott,
The MOST important thing is to sit in them, drive them if you can, or at least go for a ride in them. It will help you decide which is the best replica FOR YOU in oh-so-many-ways! No 2 Cobra kits feel the same way, either sitting still, or at speed, at least that was my experience. See which ones have the most leg room. Which ones can you get in and out of the easiest. Which ones feel the most solid over rough roads. Which ones have the most comfortable seats. Look at how the body attaches to the frame. Look for frame gusseting and diagonal cross members for reinforcement. Take a looooong time to look over all the little details that you miss on the first glance.

Create a spreadsheet and itemize every little thing that the kit manufacturer includes. Give each car a separate column and then compare them. You will be amazed at all the little parts you didn't think of that aren't included in some kits. They don't look like such good deals after that.

Don't let shiny paint or a chromed engine sway you. You can do all that yourself. Look for solid construction and attention to detail. That is what sets a quality kit apart. You can see which choice I made. Good luck to you.
Charlie
Old 06-26-2003, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham SC427 (KMP 336) w/ Stoked FE 427SO & Top Loader 4spd
Send a message via Yahoo to Wahoo65
Not Ranked     

What about the Mid States Cobra? I am looking at either a Mid States or a Unique. Can anyone say one is better than the other. I am drawn to the Mid States becuase they will sell me the frame, then the body; whereas, Unique is both or none. I don't have room for both with my current garage.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my first--Looking forward to #2 someday
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

OF;

Welcome to the Atlanta group.....as you can tell, we have a multitde of crazed enthusiasts, all with the cobra bond in common.

I too have to give my vote for Unique, even though I own an Everett-Morrison. I spent 20 years in Tampa, so I followed E-M very closely, and always had a strong desire to own one of their cars, and came very close to ordering one several times, BUT, always seemed to be consumed with another car project.

Sooooo, here's my $.02. I like nothing better than building my own cars. That's the problem. I spent WAY too many years, and $$$$ doing just that. I visited E-M and Unique, and was about to order a kit, when I ran across my current car---it was a no-brainer. Had everything I wanted (E-M, BB, jag-rear, 2x4's, etc....and could put the key in and drive---for the right money!!!). Glad I made that decision---I've upgraded, changed what I wanted, and still had time for family, club, etc.

On the other hand----Unique makes an exceptional roller---combine that with Southern Automotive engine package, and you have something YOU and SON built, in a reasonable time-frame. Just ask Chill and Georgia Snake as recent examples.

Ultimately it's your decision---you definately sound like you have the capability and experience to do this yourself, BUT, you know how these things go-----ALWAYS more time and expense and than the spreadsheet shows. You and your son will probably enjoy the time together in the car, than actually the build process.

Best of Luck in your search, and look forward to meeting you soon.

BigEasy
Charlie
Old 06-29-2003, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Scott. Nobody has mentioned Kirkham. After lusting after FFR's(like svobud, I had the FFR postcard tape to the inside of my lokcer at the firehouse) and SPF's for a few years, I finally purchased a Kirkham, because of the price(I guess I'm an Ebay troll) .
You need to get to an ACC gathering and see all these cars first hand. There is not one I have see that I did not want. I'd have to say my favorite look was the green FFR with the white wheels(no offense to the blue and red cars, I like those too).