Old 04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Hey,

These dufusses think it's real..

http://jalopnik.com/5510614/man-paid...c-shelby-cobra

Takes my respect for the Jalops down several notches..........

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I saw that as well Mark IV. Listed in the video as "NOS 1964".

Now how stupid can you get! A "New Old Stock" 1964 427 Cobra? Yeah, does a bridge come with that? I like Jalopnik, can't figure out how they fumbled the ball so badly on this.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I watch the show and I think some of that is staged for the TV audience. Not all of it as most of what I see seems to be realistic except I never realized that Pawn Shops bought cars, boats, and etc. Maybe being in Las Vegas they get a good deal.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

OK, so i finally got time to watch this on the DVR. -- That episode is soooooo wronggggg I cant even believe it.

Pawn Stars Cobra = SHAM.

Observations:

1. When the car is first brought in by the tow truck driver, you can see down the nose of the beast and see the *X* member first cross brace and the rack and pinion, with yellow zinc bolts holding the suspension pieces on and the patina of construction is NEW.

--So it is a Shelby style frame , and the aluminum body is of reasonable construction, albeit new.

2. When they visit the "Nevada-Classic-Cars" guy the first time to authenticate the car,-- they are actually standing in the cobra production area in shelby LV. (where is Gary Patterson >? _ ) and why wouldn't they mention they are *at* Shelby >?

3. When you compare the old vs new car shots, they are *two* different cars. The trunk lid is different, the tops of the doors were drilled for a soft top in the first car , where they are not in the car they delivered.

Bottom Line; -- I think they swapped out a 4000/6000 series fiberglass roller for the chassis they brought in, and *that* is what they take delivery of in the episode.

This would explain the BS about the seats and when they show him the car before they put the motor in , which by that time it is clearly at another shop -- it also has a non-drilled carpeted tunnel in it. --which explains the vinyl BS story as base cobra roller seats from HST are vinyl.

Anyway -- it takes months to finish a car properly , -even if you had someone working on it full time.

I think we were the viewers on a bait and switch.

* I hope the Pawn Shop guys know they were hoodwinked , they can get awful upset on that sort of thing. *

Steve

PS: UPDATE so the "CSX number" shown on that frame was headed the opposite way from my CSX.

IE: in order to read my CSX number on the shock "upright" you would need to be sitting in the engine bay as opposed to leaning over the fender.
the car shown in the episode the CSX number was upside down.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 04-10-2010, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

I think they would have known if they got back fiberglass after giving them aluminum.

I also noticed they they never outright said that the car was original. When ever price was brought up it was always referenced that a Shelby could fetch over 100k, not over 1MM which is where an original would sit.

I think the show was dumbed down for the masses. Just enough to make it entertaining and watchable. They dont have time to go over the whole damn history with a continuation/real *****fest...Thats what this place is for.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter - 427
Not Ranked     
Default Real?

A friend of a friend went on vacation in the area of the "Pawn Stars Shop" and went in just to see the shop. Then he was asked by a crew if he wanted to be on the show, he said sure. He was given an item from the shop to sell back to the Pawn Star team for the show. That throws up red flags for me on the cobra.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison- 351C
Not Ranked     

NO DOUBT the Show IS scripted and staged. I like the show most of time but the biggest problem with it is that the editors aren't familier with the industry and thus have no clue how to do there job. I do agree that Rick is and has to be knowledgable about a lot of things...however, I found myself wondering why, as in the case of the Cobra, he doesn't use the internet to research his prospective purchases. If he did he wouldn't have looked like such a fool on the Cobra episode.

My family owns and runs the oldest Pawn and Gun Shop in our area (just under 40 years). Before my dad past he was a volunteer police officer when the PD was short handed, and my mom helped write the State Law that governs Pawn Shops in Alabama to this day...for which she received a letter of commendation from our states representatives for creating a law that protected the customers as well as the businesses. My brother, who is a full time patrol officer, member of the SWAT team and civilian firearms instructor for the PD now owns and runs the business. My point being that all Pawn Shop owners aren't shady low lifes.

PAWN SHOP 101:
The Pawn Shop fills a gap for those who can not get a credit card or a SMALL bank loan, because banks don't usually make $25-$500 loans. As stated earlier, standard practice is to offer no more the 50% of value, for 2 reasons. If the item is being pawned (which means they are going to pick up the item at the end of the loan period), the interest in Alabama is 25% PER MONTH, so the broker doesn't want to loan more than the person can relatively afford to pay back with interest (remember, if the person had the resources they wouldn't be in a pawn shop to start with). On the other hand, if the item is being sold to the broker he must have enough "room" to hold the item for the length of time it takes to sell it, keeping in mind it is a used item in a Pawn Shop and won't generally bring retail.

I agree hole-heartedly that Pawn Shops aren't the place to take your valuable items if you have other avenues available to you. But they do serve a very important purpose; especially those who are ran by good honest people who do care about and know the names of most of their customers.

And lastly, please remember that is no different grouping Pawn Brokers together than it is grouping Cobra Owners together.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

If you ever watched House Hunters or House Hunters International. They are BS scripted also. They on there site state something like. If you have recently closed or are in closing, contact us. When the whole premise is that they are following you during the buying process. Believe very little you see on that box.

Shoot your TV!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
If you ever watched House Hunters or House Hunters International. They are BS scripted also. They on there site state something like. If you have recently closed or are in closing, contact us. When the whole premise is that they are following you during the buying process. Believe very little you see on that box.

Shoot your TV!
....and so why are you on the internet? Shouldn't we shoot it also, for the same reason?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Shoot your computer also!

The world has gone Jerry Springer, MEH!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
....and so why are you on the internet? Shouldn't we shoot it also, for the same reason?
Old 07-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Shoot your computer also!

The world has gone Jerry Springer, MEH!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a good subject for another thread. I know us old dudes are grumpy and generally view the world in an " in my day..." view, but I have to say, I'm with you on that.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What about all the auto build shows and deadlines. They always have a supposed deadline they seem to always make. Is it real?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What about all the auto build shows and deadlines. They always have a supposed deadline they seem to always make. Is it real?
Ah, no....................................

And I want to see that paint a year later!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While the car build deadlines are ridiculous they probably are real, but only for the sake of television production. Production companies need cheap shows that can be shot in 6 days ideally. They can't take all year to produce a season.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I remember the Boyd Coddington show American Hot Rod. Wow...was that a bad show. If that was scripted, somebody sure botched it. Putting roll bars in the wrong place, screwing up the aluminum interior, running a car without oil...it was one thing after another. I would never have bought a Boyd street rod after watching that show!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I remember a show called Hot Rod TV that built a cobra in one show. Then they showed the behind the scenes of how they did it. They had about 15 people, engineers, mechanics, and etc who came and put it all together before the show was filmed. Then each piece was marked as to where it went and they took it mostly back apart again but left the chassis and running gear together. Then when they filmed the show they had their neighbors help them and built it in one hour.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery