28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Has anyone connected TKO 600 vent to an oil puke tank?

Has anyone connected a TKO 600 vent to an oil puke tank? Is there an easy way to remove the cover so you can install a fitting like you can on the top loaders?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Has anyone connected a TKO 600 vent to an oil puke tank? Is there an easy way to remove the cover so you can install a fitting like you can on the top loaders?
I have never heard of that. I have heard of the vent getting jammed shut though on installation and causing leaks out of the speedo cable area.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have never heard of that. I have heard of the vent getting jammed shut though on installation and causing leaks out of the speedo cable area.
I don't have any problems with leaking I am trying to correct, I'd just like to install an oil puke tank and run the lines correctly. I could always cap the tranny vent fitting on the puke tank, but I'd rather hook it all up if possible.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't have any problems with leaking I am trying to correct, I'd just like to install an oil puke tank and run the lines correctly. I could always cap the tranny vent fitting on the puke tank, but I'd rather hook it all up if possible.
OK, maybe somebody here has heard of doing that with a TKO, but I haven't.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've heard of some folks venting the rear end to the trans, via a Y fitting/adaptor/tubing, I guess. In some cases that resulted in rear end gear oil being pumped into the trans, not good. Defective rear end to be sure, but, whatever. End result, rear end gears went bad. Might not have happened if you could SEE the leak! For the same reason I wouldn't want to vent my trans to a puke tank. IF oil is coming out of the vent (trans or rear), man I want to KNOW about that right away!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i had a 3550 leaking oil out the front seal and between the main pieces. when i took the pipe fill plug out it made a sound like it was air tight. i guess the top breather was jammed against the panels up top. so i drilled a hole in the fill plug then put a wire in it so it wouldn't leak too much, didn't work, leaked too much. next put a fitting on it and strung the 1/2" x 2 ft. line up over the tranny and it leaked as bad, oil all over the tunnel and rear. so i drilled and tapped a hole on top of the shifter and put a drilled pipe plug in it with a rtv'd cap on top with a hole in the side to keep any water out. works this way, plus i can use it for a fill point. tranny doesn't leak now either,
Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
I've heard of some folks venting the rear end to the trans, via a Y fitting/adaptor/tubing, I guess.
Man, I've never heard of that either. And intuitively that makes no sense whatsoever. On the rear though, I have a PVC tube vent that runs about six or so inches straight up from the pumpkin to allow venting without losing oil. Short of running it to a cooler of some sort, I don't know why you'd ever do it differently.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a pic, just in case anyone's interested....

Last edited by patrickt; 10-24-2016 at 12:22 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I THINK such a vent method (rear to trans and back at ya) may have something to do with racing specs? Same may apply to the puke tank, keeps oil off the track.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
On the rear though, I have a PVC tube vent that runs about six or so inches straight up from the pumpkin to allow venting without losing oil. Short of running it to a cooler of some sort, I don't know why you'd ever do it differently.
The diff was vented to the oil puke tank as well, but its easy to do in this case because you have a fitting that you can use. The oil puke tank has a fitting for venting both the diff and tranny, if you want to set it up like the originals.

I may just plug the puke tank and run a fake line down and connect it to a tranny bolt or something so it looks real....don't tell anyone.

We'll see. Still just thinking about this as another project to mess with.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
We'll see. Still just thinking about this as another project to mess with.
Doug,
That's how a project becomes a crisis. Adding hokey BS will add complexity where you don't need it and cheapen the car.

Have confidence that your car is 'cool' enough-you're not running laps at Riverside and you're not going to SAAC for judging.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think a fake line down to the trans is a good point for "keeping it real". I won't tell a soul... Likewise, don't tell anyone I broke down and put a TKO in, I'm SO embarrased by it all.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think a fake line down to the trans is a good point for "keeping it real". I won't tell a soul... Likewise, don't tell anyone I broke down and put a TKO in, I'm SO embarrased by it all.
We have someone around here that has fake fuel pumps in the trunk to mimic the originals. I can't remember who, though....
Old 05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's funny the things that we care about with these cars. I never gave a top loader more than a little bit of thought as I wanted a better highway cruise experience than that. Easy to make that trade off for me, although a TKO is a lot bigger difference than not having an oil puke tank....

I have the same TKO that you do and love it. MUCH better than having a 4 spd IMHO.

Same with oil pans. I'd love to have an Aviaid, but don't want to deal with pulling the engine when there is a leak, so I went with the Canton. But yet I had a drain-back fitting welded on in case I installed an oil puke tank..

www.partskeeper.com
Old 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's funny the things that we care about with these cars.
You're absolutely right. And if running a line down to the side of the trans. makes you happy then more power to you. We all do little stuff like that to our cars, and, the truth is that nobody notices it except ourselves.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
We all do little stuff like that to our cars, and, the truth is that nobody notices it except ourselves.
Uhhh-we can all notice what was done to your car...
Old 05-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...the truth is that nobody notices it except ourselves.
That's enough, for me. It's kind of like when you were a kid and building models. Sometimes I'd do it right by the book, sometimes I'd go wild with modifications. But one thing was always the same, I did it for ME, not to impress somebody else.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, as the ricers ask "is the engine supposed to sound like that?" as my solid flat tappets proudly tick away....
Old 05-04-2010, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not really trying to impress anyone. Just adding some touches I think would add to my personal enjoyment of the car.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 05-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm not really trying to impress anyone. Just adding some touches I think would add to my personal enjoyment of the car.
... and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Remember, these are just expensive toys -- no different than a Hot Wheels collection from when we were kids, except it just costs a whole lot more.