Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still looking...
Not Ranked     
Default New member - hopefully new owner

I just spent better part of an hour researching Streetbeasts in the forum and found a serious lack of love out there for the manufacturer. I am head over heels on this replica that is very near being mine. Car is a recent build with less than 100 miles on the odometer. Runs like a champ with a new small block Ford crate engine, new tremec 5-speed and serious suspension components. Needs some minor TLC but the price is within my grasp at mid to low $30K. Drives like a dream!!

Your feedback is what I'm after - good and bad.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I would call Nick Acton (mickmate - is his CC user name) about this Contemporary as well. Probably a better buy. I don't know much about Streetbeasts, but Contemporary's are nice cars and the money is the same or less for a car with less than 1,000 miles.....

http://www.actoncustom.com/For_Sale.php

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

A contemporary would be an amazing upgrade. Streetbeast's have such a poor overall reputation due to poor quality kits to start with - every build will be dramatically different depending on who built it. I would never part with $30 K for a Streebeast...period. That is serious cash. You HAVE TO consider resale when you buy a cobra - especially your first one. Probably 80% of people who buy them on impulse - end up selling them (or trying to) fairly soon. Look at the Contemporary above - they built a great car. Also check out Backdraft - there are many used - good quality brands with resale potential. Protect your hard earned cash !!!! Contemporary, Backdraft, Unique, and there will be a ton of Factory Five cars - many built to very high standards. This site is for opinions - I have owned two cobras - still have the second one and will have it for a long time. But I would never consider buying a streetbeast.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

As in all of these replicas it is the quality of the build not necessarily the manufacture. If it looks right and feels right then who is to say that it is not right.

That said, do not just jump on this because you are excited because it is a replica of a Cobra. Do your research and look at a few (possibly drive some if you can) and at least ride in some other builds before you pull the trigger.

JMO,
Old 05-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

If you are very new to cobras please check out www.cobracountry.com
It is THE website to monitor for used cobras. I sold my Unique there very quickly. You will find a broad range of brands - Kirkham aluminum cars - a really nice Contemporary REDUCED to $69,900 - Superformance, Factory Five. Check it out. Find out about some of the cobra clubs in your vicinity - talk to some owners. Good luck - research is part of the fun - learning about the idiosyncracies of the original cobras and of the many replicas out there.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would think for that price, you could find a real nice FFR either totally done, or almost done. Maybe not as true looking to a real Cobra as you might like, but a heck of a lot better kit if done right...and everything is readily available.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #656 402 SR TW
Not Ranked     

Where are you located?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am with the other guys. You can do alot better than a Street Beast replica for the money. In any case, welcome to the madness. Be safe and have fun.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Also check out a few clubs in your area. It is a good way to look at a varity of manufactures. Maybe someone out there from North Carolina can chime in about the local hot spots.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks all of you, I'm certainly here looking for opinions. I'm new to the Cobra scene after selling my '72 vette last week. Grew tired of watching it gather dust in the garage and sold it for a fair price in such a soft economy. Been after a Cobra for quite some time but always found them out of my reach. Now I find myself trying to stay within what appears to be a very conservative budget topping out at $35K. Perhaps too much so? I sat in a Backdraft Racing replica at the Autofair here in Charlotte and again new it was time to make the move. Unfortunatley it appears that they enter the market around $42K? See some other stuff floating around out there in the $38 and up range which is till just out of reach. This car I am so interested in is the fourth of four assembled by the owner. He also owned an original (for what it worth to the conversation). I am disappointed to say the least in finding out that the Streetbeast assembly is such a piece of garbage.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I would call Nick Acton (mickmate - is his CC user name) about this Contemporary as well. Probably a better buy. I don't know much about Streetbeasts, but Contemporary's are nice cars and the money is the same or less for a car with less than 1,000 miles.....

http://www.actoncustom.com/For_Sale.php
Nick's car, but price is $53,000.

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...-contemporary/

Search the for sale ads here as well as www.cobracountry.com
Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Doug is talking about the one on my for sale page at 31K with only 900 miles Contemporary. 6 pin wheels, Wilwood brakes etc. Thanks lads.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Sorry about that Nick.

Here's a Hurricane for sale on Cobra Country, which is another manufacturer who seems to have a good reputation here. No affiliation.

http://cobracountry.com/cobra4salefo...-lowman-ks.jpg
Old 05-10-2010, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Doug is talking about the one on my for sale page at 31K with only 900 miles Contemporary. 6 pin wheels, Wilwood brakes etc. Thanks lads.
Now that is a nice car for 31k.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Just for the record, I have no affiliation with Nick and Acton Custom either other than I have purchased parts from him and gotten a lot of advice. Straightforward honest guy who knows his way around a cobra. And is a bigger originality freak than I am. Although I'm working on that.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keep 'em coming fellas. I am going to take a long hard look at the Streetbeast I drove a couple of weeks ago and re-evaluate where I am in making a decision. To understand the general opinion, it matters very little how or who assembled the vehicle - Streetbeast is a guaranteed loser? Seems like I could run up on a FFR in my price range with less than desirable mechanicals and still come out ahead? I happened across an FFR within a 5 hour drive of Charlotte but was put off by the seats, wheels, dash and roll bar. All things considered its about $2K less than the other and probably a better deal? Sell off what I don't like and move ahead with accessories (other than the double roll bar that I cannot easily replace) that I do like?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

You are getting the consensus view on Streetbeasts.

It looks like you are right in Dennis Olthoff's backyard. It's probably worth your time to drive to his shop, talk with him, and take a look at a few of his cars (most likely Superformance cars at his shop).

http://www.olthoffracing.com

This will help broaden your perspective on the range of Cobra replicas available. As other guys are suggesting--be sure to do a lot of research on the different cars and determine what's best for you (don't jump into the first car you find).

Good luck.

Stentor
Old 05-11-2010, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll keep looking.....maybe my timing is still off financially. I don't see $32K - $35K getting much right now.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSNAKE View Post
Streetbeast is a guaranteed loser?
The answer to that question is "No." A Streetbeast is not a guaranteed loser. In fact, from a purely mechanical standpoint, a well built SB is not a bad replica at all. For the most part, however, it is not overly faithful to the original "look." That being said, if you carefully read the SB threads you'll see that the majority of complaints have to do with dealing with the SB personnel. If you buy an already built, and already sorted out, SB I think it could be an entirely different story. Now, take that for what it's worth -- I don't drive a SB and, frankly, it didn't even blip on my Cobra radar screen when I was sorting through the decision making process. ERA and StreetBeasts are just two entirely different animals.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Daytona Coupe #211, SPF,1037 sold
Not Ranked     

Just A thought, If you can wait a little while longer, the London Cobra Show is the last weekend in June. Almost every type of Cobra will be there along with a few manufactures showing off the latest and greatest! Might be worth the trip too actually see and possibly sit (take a spin?) a wide variety of replicas! I've seen more than a few for sale there as well. Check it out. www.londoncobrashow.com

Chris