Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance " E-Rod Cobra "

From NewsWire Today.com: Hope this is not a duplicate, in case anyone else missed an article/announcement regarding Superformance and the 6.2-liter LS3 crate engine. Must have undercar exhaust for the catalytic converters, rather than side pipes ??

Quotes from the article:

" While some might consider it sacrilege, others will call it salvation "

"Superformance is leading the way in showing how this new engine can be fitted into a Cobra."

ARTICLE:

- Irvine, CA, United States, 05/11/2010 - Kit Car Builder magazine just recognized the Superformance "E-ROD Cobra" MKIII Roadster as the new project vehicle they most desire. The 21st Century project consists of a retro SPF MKIII Roadster powered by the new GMPP E-ROD "green" crate motor.

Kit Car Builder magazine presented its “Editor’s Choice Award” to Lance and Deborah Stander of Superformance for their innovative application of the new General Motors Performance Part’s E-ROD engine package in their Superformance Cobra MKIII Roadster.

While some might consider it sacrilege, others will call it salvation. The perfect combination of classic Shelby Cobra roadster looks and remarkable performance, along with the reliability and drivability of a modern sportscar, the Superformance “E-ROD Cobra” has many fans. Among them the Editors at Kit Car Builder magazine.

When presenting the award on April 24 at the Association of Handcrafted Automobiles show at the NHRA Museum in Pomona, California, Steve Temple of Kit Car Builder magazine noted that, “The E-ROD crate engine gives kit builders the freedom to build a specialty car that not only passes emissions, but also has plenty of power for the enthusiast. And Superformance is leading the way in showing how this new engine can be fitted into a Cobra. We look forward to seeing this application in a wide variety of kit and project vehicles.”

The new E-ROD 6.2-liter LS3 crate engine meets all current emissions standards, simplifying registration procedures for kit builders, yet still delivers 430 hp and 424 lb./ft. of torque. It also includes GMPP’s LS3 engine wiring harness, engine control module, exhaust manifolds, catalytic converters, oxygen sensors and sensor bosses, fuel tank evaporative emissions canister, mass airflow sensor and sensor boss, accelerator pedal and an air filter, and is available for manual or automatic transmission applications.

This package answers concerns from those who may be hesitant to enter the kit car hobby due to fear of registration difficulties. It's a simple way to have the performance you expect from a classic roadster, with none of the hassles. With a simple turn of the key you have 430 emissions-compliant horsepower under your right foot any time you want it. Fast and reliable, with the fuel economy and low emissions of a new Corvette, the E-ROD Cobra outperforms expectations and just about anything else on the road.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Bad enough it's a Chevy motor underhood, but does it have to say "Corvette" on the engine covers???

http://www.superformance.com/imagefe...2&ImageID=1580

Didn't the Cobras send the Corvettes packin' back in the day???

Last edited by SunDude; 05-12-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Old 05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is the best news to hit the industry!!! Maybe ford can offer a similar package. Incredible price point at $8500!!!! which includes everything up to the cat converters!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Since this is in All Cobra I hope I have permission of the SPF Defense Minister to make a comment...

This is big news for the industry.

And Backdraft has outfitted compliant Ford Powered cars to other parts of the world for about a year or so using the 4.6 3V setup. Price is comparable and power as well. I'm sure other manufacturers have done it as well.

If you want to be compliant you can be.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hurricane 1075
Not Ranked     

I've read somethings about the new 5.0 coyote motor is going to be packaged the same way. the 3 valve can be bought with everything but the cats now

As for the ls 3 they just put one in a gtm on one of the shows on spike tv. It dynoed 490 at the crank with nothing but a lsx intake on it

Last edited by berzerko; 05-12-2010 at 05:59 PM..
Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My dealings with the "aftermarket" engine folks and suppliers has been nothing short of fiasco from A to Z and would try the patience of anyone. If you can get a Factory GM or Ford engine used in an everyday driver such as the vette or mustang and plug in cobra / gt replica and meet 50 states emissions how could you have any other choice. This is the future of our hobby you old farts!!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

maybe we should get those Kirkham boys to make some billet valve covers that dont say corvette.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 05-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Mentioned on the Superformance web site:

http://www.superformance.com/News_Vi...x?Articleid=75
Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

You Gotta wonder how many AC Ace owners thought it was sacrilege when Ole Shel stuck that 260 in the slabside.
Racers didn't give a hoot who made what as long as it was fast and they could get their hands on it before the competition did.
I'm glad that the manufacturers are paying attention. It just makes it better for all concerned in the hobby.

Hersh
Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
AC Ace owners thought it was sacrilege when Ole Shel stuck that 260
Perhaps, but AC had always been in search of the next engine, so it shouldn't have been a big surprise. Not to mention the stunning race records that would follow and make legendary the combination of AC, Ford and Shelby.

You go to a car show or cruise in or local gathering of the hot rod club(s) and what do you see? More freakin' GM small blocks than you can shake a stick at. Yet another 350 based crate motor, their a dime a dozen and show ZERO imagination. They are the "Walmart" of hot rod engines, cheap, decent power, easy to get, a no brainer to put in, pure vanilla.

Paint it Beige...

So the new order of "hot rods" will now sport a new order of GM small block? Like we've seen for years and years already? Buy that factory built car, buy that new crate motor, write the check and

Paint it Beige... It will be the Toyota Camry of the Hot Rod world. Cheap, run's good, makes decent horse power, easy to register and will bore me to tears!! No thanks, seen enough GM small blocks to last a lifetime.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Gentlemen, as I have been talking about on the Bay Area Forums, the EROD style of engine is the future of hot-rodding.

I have done 2 shows with GMPP on the EROD concept , and I own a FORD place. we do work on GM as well. -- but its 90% ford based.

The EROD is a clean 430HP+ V8 that depending on gearing can put out 22-25MPG easily and still have the firepower. -- a pushrod engine that meets emissions.

I know its not a 428 , it didnt win lemans ... but there are some very good reasons to consider, and there are some neat features.

The EROD is LS3 based from the 2008 corvette / 2010 Camaro ,

5 speed, 6 speed and automatic choices are many.

Fuel supply just needs to be 60PSI at 90GPH.

the hookup is so easy that you dont need to be an electrical guy.
the fuel hookup is so easy you dont have to be a plumber

they are about the form factor of a 351W ford if not narrower.

The exhaust ports are spaced like a windsor ford.

-- there are many reasons to look at them.

also you may not know, but fully dressed they are 380Lbs!!!!( AL block, AL HEADS !!!)

and the MT EROD is street priced at about 8K with a 2/24K Mile warranty.

Not a bad deal.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Since this is in All Cobra I hope I have permission of the SPF Defense Minister to make a comment...
Our Minister of Defense from the Department of Redundancy Department is Corporal Punishment. He says "OK".

You MAY post in the SPF area IF you are answering a question or offering information. You MAY NOT post if you are bragging!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Our Minister of Defense from the Department of Redundancy Department is Corporal Punishment. He says "OK".

You MAY post in the SPF area IF you are answering a question or offering information. You MAY NOT post if you are bragging!
And here I thought it was the Ministry of Silly Walks...

Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

The engine really needed should be this GM motor
The all-New Gen IV Small-Block V-8 for 2009 Cadillac CTS-V
The 556-hp 6.2L Supercharged Gen IV V-8 (RPO LSA) is installed longitudinally in the CTS-V, and available with either GM Powertrain’s Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic or the twin-disc Tremec with paddle shifters or a TR6060 six-speed manual transmission
Gen VI Supercharger with Twin Four-Lobe Rotors
A state-of-the-art supercharger is key to the 6.2L LSA’s remarkable performance. This Gen IV small-block V-8 is equipped with Eaton’s Twin Vortices Series (TVS) supercharging technology, which represents the sixth generation of joint Eaton/GM Powertrain supercharger development. The LSA supercharger displaces 1.9 liters and generates maximum boost pressure of 9.0 pounds per square inch (0.62 bar).

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can paint Beige and drive it everyday with excellent power characterisitics and reliability. If you are taking advanatage of today better braking systems, tires, wheel construction, why not engine design. No doubt if you have an original Cobra stick with 427 side oiler etc. If you have anything built after 1980 consider all your options. I would have to beleive Ford should be offering something similiar from their stock. The price point is incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Perhaps, but AC had always been in search of the next engine, so it shouldn't have been a big surprise. Not to mention the stunning race records that would follow and make legendary the combination of AC, Ford and Shelby.

You go to a car show or cruise in or local gathering of the hot rod club(s) and what do you see? More freakin' GM small blocks than you can shake a stick at. Yet another 350 based crate motor, their a dime a dozen and show ZERO imagination. They are the "Walmart" of hot rod engines, cheap, decent power, easy to get, a no brainer to put in, pure vanilla.

Paint it Beige...

So the new order of "hot rods" will now sport a new order of GM small block? Like we've seen for years and years already? Buy that factory built car, buy that new crate motor, write the check and

Paint it Beige... It will be the Toyota Camry of the Hot Rod world. Cheap, run's good, makes decent horse power, easy to register and will bore me to tears!! No thanks, seen enough GM small blocks to last a lifetime.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

The SPF MKIII fitted with the LS3 crate motor uses side exhaust. Looks like the cats are on the side pipes (may get a little hot).
http://www.superformance.com/photoal...px?Albumid=129

Hope to see a similar offering from Ford soon.
Jim Kellogg
Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     

As hard as it is to see a Chevy in a Cobra, there are already so many cars with Viper V10's, Buick Turbo V6's and Corvette engines already.. Live and let live... Some people like beige (I may not one of them, but who are we to judge ). These are all knockoffs anyway, all of the sudden some people are purists or think their car is unique? As Excalabur so eloquently said, "It's just freakin' plastic car, like any other", but apparently you can't have beige or vanilla in you plastic car? If someone wants a bowtie in it and SPF and other dealers can make some money doing it, who cares? Give the people what they want.

Last edited by Jimbocobra; 05-13-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You know for me it has nothing to do with being a purist. It has EVERYTHING to do with yet another run of GM small blocks in hot rods.

When I go to a cruise in I want to see something different. A Caddy engine in a hot rod, maybe an old Nail Head Buick, Olds engine, flat head. How 'bout a Hemi? A FORD engine of any kind, thats fairly rare as well.

You want reliable, good mpg, easy to drive? Cut to the chase and buy the Camry.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Ernie,

With these out there all you might see on your cruise may be taillights. You gotta be able to catch'em to see what engine is in 'em...
Old 05-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

430 horse power aint all that much, all they will see of ME is tail lights.

But I'll grant you, 430 horse is enough, it's adequate, the price is right,,,

paint it Beige.