Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Need help locating 90 degree brake fittings

My car has Girling rear calipers, and like most British brake components they accept lines that have bubble flares. My calipers have the lines entering the calipers on the top of the caliper, vertical to the ground. This will be too hard to describe without pictures, but because of interference with the emergency brake lines and caliper arms, I need to install 90 degree elbow fittings so that the brake line enters the front of the caliper and not the top. I can't do this with a simple bend in the line, because I can't bend the line tight enough to the nut for proper clearance, it has to be a elbow. The bend has to be immediate and very tight to the caliper itself. The question is, where do I find a 90 degree elbow that will screw into the Girling caliper and have the proper bubble flare end on it?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I have the kit to make them

767 Jockey Doug I have the kit to make bubble flares in metric and ase. It's a pressure hand held press. If you are looking for fittings, Summit,Jegs, Speedway, HRC. They all have what you may want. Don't be afraid to try Home depot or Lowes for fittings either. Doug you can also buy pre made lines at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, NAPA stores, R&S. They sell line that you can bend in hand. Rick

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 05-16-2010 at 03:54 AM..
Old 05-16-2010, 04:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/220-6415/10002/-1
Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/pr...idcategory=462
Old 05-16-2010, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/adv...yID=BRAKEADAPT
Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

if you go to a harley davisdson store and look at the aftermarket caliper stuff they sell you will find what you need. i used them on the back of my ffr, it uses a banjo bolt 2 copper washers they come in straight, 45 degrees and 90 degrees and either in a 3an or 4an male thread. i think russell makes them.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

When I did this, I found an outfit in California (recommended to my by Wilwood) that put together all my fittings, stainless flexible lines and the works. What they had me use on the brake caliper connections was a banjo bolt and banjo bolt fitting to make the short 90 degree connection. Worked like a charm.

Bob
Old 05-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tips, everyone. One question I have is, won't this elbow, whichever one I use, need a bubble flare on the end that goes into the caliper? All the links I look at here, I don't see the term bubble flare mentioned. Am I off base on this? All you guys with more talent and experience with this than I have, what would you do to get around this problem? What would you use? Thanks for all the help on this.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Is there enough surface on the caliper to seal a fitting with a copper or aluminum washer? If that's the case, you can use an adapter with normal 3/8-24 threads. The problem you are going to have, no matter which type of fitting you end up with, is that a right-angle design is going to point whichever direction coincides with everything being tight.

Ooooo... If there is enough surface available, you can use a banjo bolt into the caliper. You will still have to adapt the hard line to the banjo fitting, if that's your preference.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Is there enough surface on the caliper to seal a fitting with a copper or aluminum washer? If that's the case, you can use an adapter with normal 3/8-24 threads. The problem you are going to have, no matter which type of fitting you end up with, is that a right-angle design is going to point whichever direction coincides with everything being tight.

Ooooo... If there is enough surface available, you can use a banjo bolt into the caliper. You will still have to adapt the hard line to the banjo fitting, if that's your preference.
That sounds interesting, Bob. I have a vague idea what a banjo fitting is, I'll have to look into it further. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Doug if the threads are 3/8-24 as Bob says then this will be a good option for you.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=4195
Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So if I understand correctly, this banjo lays flat on the machined top of the caliper where the line currently enters, the soft copper washers go under it and on top of it between the bolt head and the fitting, and the double flared line attaches to the threaded end of the banjo fitting. Is this correct?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup, if you slip a tube sleeve and a tube nut over the line and do your flare you'll be able to screw it on the banjo adapter.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Yup, if you slip a tube sleeve and a tube nut over the line and do your flare you'll be able to screw it on the banjo adapter.
Tube sleeve?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Download the Fragola catalog to use as a reference. You can use a tube nut and sleeve (with a simple flare) to connect a -3 AN fitting to a 3/16" brake line.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EA...3ERL/?rtype=10