Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #539/427 Holman Moody #7HM20 from 1967
Not Ranked     
Default Koni or Spax front shocks for ERA 427 Cobra

Guys I bought ERA #539 /Dec 1998 Cobra back in January. I finally got it 2 months ago and have been working on it for two months in the barracks parking lot with German weather. A little angry and frustrated. Two items become six items and then 100 detail items to fix for inspection. Question: the left SPAX shock has a seized the adjuster (a common problem I have read from google with the guys in the UK, maybe moisture) and I have no idea where it is adjusted. I cannot feel the clicks. When I got the car the rears were 5 clicks off from each other. I could feel the wallowing. Konis are available but the 8212-1126SPA1 is a drag shock. I understand they can be revalved. They cost more, seems to be about $300 more for the pair but 30-40% better. Not racing but I am in Germany and want the best ride and front end feel possible. Right now it rides hard in the front , BF Goodrich’s do not help, but Avon 225 and 295’s are in the Mail Room. Anybody running Konis say they are: 1) worth the extra drama of setting up, 2) Is there one place I can go to have them revalved or ready to buy /install for the car with correct upper and lower mounts ?? I will pay for “bolt on” I do not have the time/need to weld, machine, fabricate or order through multiple sources any more parts or spacers, etc. Or are the Spax’s just as good. I can get Spax’s with springs shipped from Bob Putman and be over it.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just called Paul at Koni Tech. He said if the shock will fit it is a start. Bob Putnam said the 8212-1126SPA1 will fit the ERA's. Shock is set up for a 1/2" bolt spherical ends top and bottom. The shock is made for a 12" spring with 2.25-2.5" inside ID. It is originally a rear shock for a drag car. With a 250 rate spring it will need a Koni B1 revalving. Retail $480 per shock and $125 revalve cost $605 each. Problem 10 week lead time. It is racing season. He recomended True Choice or Performance Shock.
Is it worth it from actual experiance ???
Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: genuine 289 cobra (cox 6013)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjockey1 View Post
Guys I bought ERA #539 /Dec 1998 Cobra back in January. I finally got it 2 months ago and have been working on it for two months in the barracks parking lot with German weather. A little angry and frustrated. Two items become six items and then 100 detail items to fix for inspection. Question: the left SPAX shock has a seized the adjuster (a common problem I have read from google with the guys in the UK, maybe moisture) and I have no idea where it is adjusted. I cannot feel the clicks. When I got the car the rears were 5 clicks off from each other. I could feel the wallowing. Konis are available but the 8212-1126SPA1 is a drag shock. I understand they can be revalved. They cost more, seems to be about $300 more for the pair but 30-40% better. Not racing but I am in Germany and want the best ride and front end feel possible. Right now it rides hard in the front , BF Goodrich’s do not help, but Avon 225 and 295’s are in the Mail Room. Anybody running Konis say they are: 1) worth the extra drama of setting up, 2) Is there one place I can go to have them revalved or ready to buy /install for the car with correct upper and lower mounts ?? I will pay for “bolt on” I do not have the time/need to weld, machine, fabricate or order through multiple sources any more parts or spacers, etc. Or are the Spax’s just as good. I can get Spax’s with springs shipped from Bob Putman and be over it.
Go to KONI america ,custom made ,6 weeks delivery perfect job!!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default QA1 shocks???

Learjockey1 Have you looked into QA1 shocks? They have over 500 setting on them. Been running them for 3 years. Car runs and handles nice. They have rebound and compression adjustments. Price wise cheaper than Koni or Spaxs. Have you thought about removing the shocks, using alot of rust buster oil and letting it soak for a couple of days. See if the adjuster will then move. If the winters or salt conditions are that bad, you may have to look at removing some parts in the winter and spraying oil or light grease to keep moisture out of the adjuster areas. Water proof white grease may work the best. Luberplate is what we use on the firetrucks and valves. Water doesn't effect it. Antisieze may be another protector on some applications. Rick L.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bernie, Koni of North America was 10 weeks back log. True Choice in TN could do them in 4-6 weeks. What I was told yesterday. I guess I can wait but I just want it off the” to do” list to enjoy the experience.
Rick, I could soak the adjuster and all but the left shock turned so hard the slot on the adjuster screw opened up. I do not have the time to take them off and on in a parking lot hoping to fix it. I want to have faith and know the parts I use are up to top standards. Are you running QA1’s front and rear on an early framed ERA? Are you running four rear shocks and springs? What are the QA part numbers? I still want to run the stock ERA Eibach 12” 250 lb rate springs in the front to keep a decent street ride. I am not sure what is on the back but Bob did good job on the car and I want to keep a good balance. I am in the front of the car working back. I also wanted to ask about your Appleton rack. I looked at the Sweet. I still have the Subaru which is fine and responsive, but would enjoy the power assist with a good feel and feed back. Maybe a PM on your part numbers, mount setup, pump type and pressures. Thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Running spax on the front only

Learjockey1 frame #428. QA1 shocks are in the front end only. Running the 4 spax shocks in the rearend. Front springs are over 400+ now. Road racing and auto cross need high spring rates. I leave the rearend soft with the stock ERA setup of springs and shocks.
been running the Appleton rack for 10 years. works great. You will need a cooler GM pump, dual pulley for the crank shaft and make some lines. 5" pulley on the pump. simple setup. Cooler is bolted to bottom of radiator support on bottom of car. ERA modified the frame for the rack. You will need to setup the bump steering after replacing the rack.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

After a recent run on a VERY tight auto cross track here in Oregon, I'm seriously considering power steering. It's a monster trying to counter steer at speed and under heavy G loads.

Shocks? I like the Spax myself. I've found that pushing IN on the aduster while turning is often the ticket to get them to move. I'm running 7 clicks in per rear shock. Readily available, easy to swap out, whats not to like? Actually, that is a serious question, WHAT is not to like about SPAX?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

My car has a completely different suspension setup than yours, but I run QA1 adjustable shocks on all four corners. They offer a wide range of adjustments and I like them. ... BTW, what part of Germany are you in? Quite a few years ago I had my 1963 Corvette over there and frequently worked in the base housing parking lot at Ramstein Air Base. For bigger jobs, I used the Auto Hobby Shop.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-26-2010, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

In the FWIW department... (I have no personal experience with any of these, so no guarantees. I'm just going by the specs in the catalog.)

The QA1 numbers for the ERA front dampers (~chas 100 on):

Double-adjustable

DDR 5855B (bearing ends)
DDR 5855P (poly ends)

Single-adjustable

DR 5855B (bearing ends)
DR 5855P (poly ends)
Old 05-26-2010, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, thanks for the info. Why did you go with the Appleton rather that the Sweet Rack? When able maybe a picture or two. I will PM with my email address
Excalibur, thanks for tip and I understand the concept but this one was frozen and being behind the upright with the wheel still on, I did not have much room. I think some silicone grease applied over the screw and in the cavity with a piece of Ductape to cover all would keep them as good as new, idea just off the top of my head.
Tommy, I am at Patch Barracks in Stuttgart. Ramstein now has the largest Military Shopping Mall in Theater. But you know the Air Force. I have spent the past 6 years in our Panzer Hobby Shop and built a chopper there, but the hours changed and I could get more done in the parking lot, however frustrating at times and no lift. Thank heavens for Bob Putnam’s help. I cannot say enough about how Bob at ERA has treated me with parts and expertise support as I make the car better. I must have called him everyday for two weeks when I first got the car. My phone calls now are still frequent. My car is 12 years old #539 with a Gessford built 427 SO FE, still solid, just needs a little tweaking and love.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     

Learjockey

Great; another ERA with a Gessford built engine in Europe.
Congratulations

Walter

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I always liked my Koni's on the 427 chassis. My 289 chassis will use Spax as Koni was not very responsive to my needs.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Koni or Spax front shocks for ERA 427 Cobra Reply to Thread

I have used Konis and Spax and I think its what you pay for!

What about a good Bilstein shock, I put some custom built shocks on my current car, they have the 14mm shafts and 1/2" spherical bearings for mounting, good German technology, which I guess is similar to the Dutch Koni tech!
I believe a lot has been said about Bilstein on CC regarding a certain car builder who apparently got a package deal on a lower spec duty Bilstein shock and had misalignment issues and then on all manner of problems with light-duty 11mm diameter shafts etc, my recommendation is buy minimum 14mm diameter shaft shocks and a good quality brand. For racing for street and race use QA1 seem to be a good shock, havent heard anything bad about them from the race guys.

I would go for Konis next time mainly for the name, my Bilsteins were over NZ$5k, the almost top of the range double adjustment Koni race shocks were another $800 more which wasnt an issue, but I was talked into getting the Bilsteins due to no external adjustment as they believe if you set them up properly for the car and spring rates then just leave them, but the adjusters dont do any harm sitting there, as you have to go through the sorting process with springs etc on any shock and the fine adjustment probably isnt that important. The driving school here uses Bilstein on the earlier Formula Fords etc with great results, and have Konis on the later cars.

Just a few unqualified thoughts off the top of my head........!

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 05-27-2010 at 04:47 PM..
Old 05-27-2010, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 760 427sc
Not Ranked     

Learjockey,
If you had bought ERA760 all these problems could have been avoided. Still, just call Spax direct in the UK. The part number for the shock is a custom order. I think their turn around time is about a week. Enjoy you new ride.