LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Default Electrical Overcharging

Hi All,

Out driving yesterday and my amp gauge was showing the car as overcharging. It seemed to gradually keep rising and went higher than 25. So I turned around and got it home and parked it.

What are some of the possible culprits for it doing that (assuming the gauge is ok)?

Thx
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Typically, this is a bad voltage regulator, but we need to know what type of alternator/regulator you are using.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmac View Post
Hi All,

Out driving yesterday and my amp gauge was showing the car as overcharging. It seemed to gradually keep rising and went higher than 25. So I turned around and got it home and parked it.

What are some of the possible culprits for it doing that (assuming the gauge is ok)?

Thx

i think you may have just found your screeching noise......Alt bearing!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
i think you may have just found your screeching noise......Alt bearing!
Actually, I think the bearing might be OK but the belt is slipping because the alternator is overcharging.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

The AMP gauge is on a SPF is a Lucas...ok....I don't even look at it except for laughs...it has a mind of it's own...
Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Replace the voltage regulator. Cheap and takes 10 minutes.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This is a the perfect excuse to go out and buy an inductive DC ammeter. I got this one at Sears for about a hundred bucks. It also captures the peak draw when you turn on heavy load items.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try the voltage regulator first.

Excuse my ignorance, but where would I find the v regulator on a Superformance? I'm assuming (probably incorrectly) that it's one of those small silver square shaped housings, but I can't find it??

Also does anyone know a make & part# for this (or what kind would I ask for at a parts store - one from what type of car etc..)??

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but where would I find the v regulator on a Superformance? I'm assuming (probably incorrectly) that it's one of those small silver square shaped housings, but I can't find it??
Those small, silver squares sound like relays. Voltage Regulators usually look more like this:

But before you go replacing stuff, you might want to just spend five bucks on a voltmeter that plugs in to your cigarette lighter and check the voltage with the car running. It'll generally be around 14.6volts if everything is running correctly. Here's a shot of a cheapo little voltmeter that I have that plugs in the cigarette lighter (with the car not running). They're surprisingly handy.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-24-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Patrick,

I have a cheap voltmeter that I'm going to try tonite. Do you (or anyone else) know where the regulator would be on my Superformance? That chrome box doesn't look familiar (unless it's hiding under a fenderwell or something).
Old 05-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Do you (or anyone else) know where the regulator would be on my Superformance?
Nope, sorry. On a lot of Cobras they sit right on top of the foot boxes. I'd look there first. As a last resort I'd trace the wires back from the alternator.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Or it could have an alternator with a built-in regulator...
Old 05-27-2010, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That might explain why I couldn't find it this morning.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

When you troubleshoot your problem, keep in mind that the ammeter shows how much current is flowing through it. It could be high, as was previously noted, because the alternator/voltage regulator is pushing too much current into the battery. It could also be high because something is drawing too much current (e.g., a short circuit). Most of the circuits that could draw such a load will have fuses or circuit breakers to protect them. But if the problem is in a wire or device that is not protected, you have the potential for starting a fire or melting your wiring.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, I just hooked up my multimeter with the egine running and it was bang on 14.5 by the looks of it.

So... can I assume that it was just the gauge? If there was something drawing the current wouldn't it be constant? Also, the other day, as soon as I parked it after the gauge was showing over 25, I felt the battery and it was cool. Would that also point to a misbehaving gauge?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One other thing, the gauge is now showing properly coinciding with the multimeter reading.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So... can I assume that it was just the gauge? If there was something drawing the current wouldn't it be constant? Also, the other day, as soon as I parked it after the gauge was showing over 25, I felt the battery and it was cool.
Maybe, but it could still be a "sticking" voltage regulator. Were you able to find your VR? If it happens again what you should do is rap your knuckles on the amp gauge and see if it returns to normal. If that doesn't do it, rap on the voltage regulator and see if it returns to normal. This is where a little cigarette lighter volt meter helps. If the amp gauge swings all the way to the right and your volt meter also registers 17 volts then that tells you it's not a malfunctioning amp gauge.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default The prince of darkness...the lights work great till it gets dark.

Those of us so old to have driven post war (WWII) english cars or riden bikes like a BSA or Triumph had so much trouble with Lucas that we are always suspicious about any electrical component made by them..not fair...but hey.. life is not fair and it is always a good idea to try the simplest solution first..
Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
Those of us so old to have driven post war (WWII) english cars or riden bikes like a BSA or Triumph had so much trouble with Lucas that we are always suspicious about any electrical component made by them..not fair...but hey.. life is not fair and it is always a good idea to try the simplest solution first..

all this lucas talk makes my zenon diode malfunction.........
Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build, with help
Not Ranked     

there is a reason you can by replacement lucas smoke: http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm