Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What is it about these cars

I have always been extremely impressed with the cobra as it represents everything I like about muscle cars , it is the ultimate muscle car of all time

However , I have not yet been able to figure why these cars draw so much attention , I here people saying they dont know what it is , my wife says it is cute , cute is one word I wont like to hear around my cobra ..... mean , lethal , mennissing , sinister , those are good words .

I was out for a cruise with a few cobras last weekend and they got more attention and more socializing than I get in my FORD GT when I drive it

I know this type of thread has been probaly beat to death on this forum , but here we go again , share with us some of the recent feed back you get on the street , good or bad
Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

It starts with the fact you can hear one a mile away.

If you see that sinister snout in the rear view mirror creeping up behind you on the highway you just know you better get out of the way.

Ford GT's are cool too though. Saw one on the way to the airport Monday morning.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Rob, you'll get a kick out of this thread, be sure to check out Mark Husar's post on page 10 or 11, I think;

What is the LATEST recognition your Cobra has had recently?

I think it's the best thread on the forum and right up the alley of your question.

Steve

PS. here's quote from the thread: "Thats what I love about my Cobra.
People in cars that cost 4 times as much staring in envy"

How's that for an answer?

Last edited by lovehamr; 06-03-2010 at 04:04 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What is it with the Cobra?

Sexy
One may ask the same question about a beautiful woman. The lines of her legs, the curves, the attitude and power. It is without question a lustful work of art. She is the girl next door that is in your garage. Building mine was akin to a religious experience. She has more curves than any Hollywood movie actress. Spank the throttle and she responds with a squeal, a purr and sometimes an angry tone. If only the Cobra were a woman. It is life to the fullest.

Quick
There is no question that for nearly 50 years the Cobra is still one of the most powerful cars on the planet. Think about that for a minute. In the 60s when it came into being it was decades ahead of its time. To own a Cobra is to own a part of track history. Neck snapping, tire shredding on command ability coupled with a rush of blurred objects whizzing by you is an experience to behold.

Timeless
There are some things that are just timeless. The Cobra is one of them. Some songs just touch your soul when you hear them. No matter if it was when you were a kid that they were made. Some works of art are just so incredible they take your breath away. The Cobra does both.

No apologies
Ever notice that most people drive around with their windows up and they sit in a stale environment? Lord have mercy if one strand on their little head gets out of place. Gotta have those cup holders. Gotta have duel climate control. Gotta have those butt warmers. Gotta have this. Gotta have that. It goes on and on and ends with the life being sucked out of the ride. Remember, ride to live and live to ride.

Posh and stale are not in the Cobra Vocabulary.

The Cobra is wind in your face, brings you back to where you belong, power. It is like great sex, animistic in nature. Raw power.

Last edited by nymathboy; 06-03-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Character - The look, the sound, the acceleration, all work in conjunction to emanate character. Most of what people see and hear on the streets are the shapeless, soundless blobs that we know as our modern automobile. A Cobra, on the other hand, has an artful shape and an awesome sound.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

English sports car have always been more approachable than other similiar makes. Like Ferrari, it just kind of says, "Look but don't touch, don't get to close." Even a Jaguar XKE is approachable, it's not "snooty" in any way. Austin Healy, MGB, Triumph, etc. more of a "peoples car." Lamborghini? SCREAMS don't get to close. Maserati and other exoctics, same thing, just a cut above the "every man" world. Corvette, certainly approachable, nice ride, but SO many, it's just not that special at the end of the day. Ever changing modern styling that keeps up with the current trends, it's "fresh" not timeless.

Whereas the Cobra shares all the characteristics of other English sports cars. It is not intimidating to the "every man", it is very approachable, not snooty. Cute to the ladies, masculine to the men, well sculpted to the art afficianado's, a design that appeals to "every man" on a different level. It could be parked and simply looked at, as a work of art, a sculpture, the shape has a certain intrigue that just captures the imagination. It's simple and elegant, without being TO simple or TO elegant. Much of that is the old school look, the timeless styling, the car all but says, "Come closer", and people do.

A friend of mine, with a nice Ferrari, a Daytona Coupe, a Ford GT and other really nice rides in his stable has commented more than once that NONE of his cars create the enthusiasm his Cobra does when it comes to a local cruise in or car show.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

It's just a timeless design, a thing of bueaty, raw power and thrill to drive and be around even when it's parked. It doesn't get old and will always be appreciated for it's history, performance and the never ending romance.

Yikers, get the hell out of it's way!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Bear with me for a moment while I work my way to my point.

A little while back, I read the results of a study of female behavior. It concluded that as most women go through their monthly cycle of fertility, their preferences for men change. At the peak of their fertility, women prefer the looks of hyper-masculine men - the kind of men commonly called "bad boys" who are known more for one night stands than for a lifetime of faithful companionship. As their fertility wanes, women's preferences turn to softer, more sensitive men - the kind most likely to be there over the long run to help raise the kids and care for the family. That means that many women prefer sex with bad boys and marriage with good providers.

My analogy is that the look, sound and auora of the Cobra make it the baddest of the bad boy cars. Most people intuitively understand that it would be an awful car to have to live with for every day transportation. But those same people see it as the car they'd most like to spend one night with. They understand that the Cobra could hurt them on a whim and wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about doing it. But they want to experience it just once, so they can remember the time they once experienced life at its limits in a Cobra.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 06-04-2010 at 07:55 AM..
Old 06-04-2010, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys

Those are some of the finest answers I have ever read in relation to the question put forth

Please keep this thread alive as it makes for some great reading

Rob
Old 06-04-2010, 02:00 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Here is a piece written by Hal Copple a few years ago.
The man could write.

I wish he would write somemore.

"Driving a Cobra Replica

"If you want to just gas and go, and never have to worry about replacing an alternator, or snugging down the header bolts, or getting a wet leg driving in a rainstorm, or learning how to set your carb float level, or driving in traffic on a warm winter day with "winter gas" in the tank, get a Corvette. "

With a Cobra Replica you have to remind yourself that you are driving a hand made race car on the street. There is no compromise for anything other than pure speed. These cars are brutal and unforgiving, with all the refinement of a medieval battle ax. Like being in a relationship with an exotic dancer, you can never take anything for granted. These cars don't have millions of miles of testing refinement before you get yours. For any trip longer than an hour, you need earplugs, and goggles, and carry Advil and eye drops. You will need to learn to "read" the clouds for rain in your path, and have experience in unwrapping your frozen fingers from the MotoLita. You will experience lady passengers "wetting" the passenger seat when you merge into traffic from an on ramp, and then nearly burn their calf getting out of the car.

You will have all the invisibility of a burning Hindenburg, and flee from underground parking lots when uncountable car alarms are screaming your departure. When you shop, you will remind yourself that these cars get more attention than a dead body in a parking lot.

With a power to weight ratio better than almost every super car, you will find your 1/4 mile times traction rather than power limited. On the other hand, when you stage, out of the corner of your helmet's visor you will see almost the entire audience lining up at the fence, most with cameras up. If you track on a road course with a Porsche club, owners of expensive German machines will come to the fence to watch you power out in smoking oversteer. You won't even try to start your engine in the garage, but push it out onto the driveway, else your loyal watch dog will croak from the exhaust fumes. If you idle next to other "sports" cars at a traffic light, by the green, their girlfriend will be coughing green phlegm into her hanky, yelling at her date to just go! When you refuel, you might as well prop the "bonnet" open, because you are going to have to show your motor to just about every other guy there. When you order your wings at Hooters, your waitress will whisper in your ear "take me for a ride." When you stop at the red light, the girl in the convertible next to you will invite you to "take my top off too."

When you slowly pass a troop of Harley riders, they will look over and give you thumbs up. When you want to ease out into traffic, other cars will immediately pause to let you go ahead of them. When your engine has its hot, crackling, intimidating exhaust side pipe aimed right at the flank of the GTO, or the Z28, your exhaust pulsation's slowly unscrewing his lug nuts, the other car will remain motionless, as if the slightest quiver of his car will cause your car to stomp it dead. When you leave it open in a parking lot, and come back to find your sunglasses and cell phone still sitting on the tunnel, it is because your car has sullenly warned those who came over to admire it "touch me and I will rise up here and kill you dead."

When you put that tiny silver key into the ignition, and begin your start countdown, your car will whisper "take me for granted, and I will kill you."

When other drivers just hop in and snap up their belts while backing out of their parking space, you will still have two more minutes before you even get all the Simpsons properly on and snugged down. Pulling up in a Cobra Replica is like landing an F4U at an ultralite convention.

In summary, very, very few drivers want this kind of attention, or can tolerate all that a formidable Cobra Replica demands. These cars are intolerant mistresses.

But remember, there will come a day when you have to hang up your car keys for the last time. And perhaps you want to say then "I did it."
Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

What is it about these cars?

What is it about Gull Wing Mercedes, XK120, Ducenburg, P51, Beech Stagger wing, a nice wood hull Cris Craft?

STYLE!

This car is so sexy it cuts through all the BS of today’s world, it not friendly, it's not economical, it’s not environmentally friendly. It is a blend of what is old and what is new. It‘s was the beginning of a new decade, the 60’s, that time cannot kill and only hope to replicate. It was a time when doors were left unlocked, windows left open and fence friendly neighbors. A time when you knew the local cops and if caught would take you home to Dad for the proper punishment. A time when people did not blow themselves up to kill other people for the sake of their religion. A time of Drive in movies where the car was your seat to the world and more often than not your hotel room of first experiences.

The Cobra is a sleek time machine that once in you are in for ride of a lifetime. Noticed, scorned, booed, cheered, thumbs up ride of a lifetime. It is a car for all seasons. ( unless you live in the north country)

Dennis
Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

It's been mentioned, but I'm going to say it in a different manner.

It's the brutal serial killer that's in prison. It's the baddest of the bad.

But just like that serial killer, it's the one that the women write letters to, and propose marriage. They just want to be associate with that sinister image, and I don't think there is a more sinister car on four wheels.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

it's the sexy curves of the body

and FAST

hey, a fast sexy car!

no wonder men love them
Old 06-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I always liked the Harley commercial where the old man is sitting on the porch with his grandson and a Harley drives by. "Nothing like the sound of a Harley is with the wind blowing through your hair and the freedom of the open road." The kid says "you had a Harley Grandpa?' The oldman says "naw, I had to spend the money on aluminum siding" and the kid walks off the porch dissapointed.

We are very lucky to own a Cobra, or Cobra replica. We don't have to sit on the porch telling our grand kids there is nothing like riding in a Cobra with the sound of the side pipes and the acceleration pinning you back in the seat. We can open the garage, take them for a ride, and let them experience it first hand, keeping the American legend alive.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Probably not what you were looking for, but I think it is best said, "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand".

One of my earliest childhood "car memories" was hearing about the Ford Cobra's 0-100-0 record setting speed for a production car (Ken Miles, I believe, correct me if I'm wrong). That feeling of awe has stuck with me my entire life, and being a Ford guy, I just always knew I had to have one.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I can agree that a Cobra draws attention. No doubt.

A group of Cobras draws more attention than one. No doubt

But, I'm fairly confident in saying from my own nonscientific, non empirical personal experience that one on one a Ford GT draws more attention IMHO. I love them both, but thats been my experience.

Last edited by REAL 1; 06-04-2010 at 09:28 PM..
Old 06-05-2010, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For me it was the huge V8 engine, small two seater that first made me drool.Then actually seeing and hearing one run back in the 60's that convinced me that one day somehow, one would be parked in my garage,and I could not be more content.Having a kit,building the car to my standards,having the best of all worlds,and never hesitating to take her out for an addreniline rush,or tearing into the beast for upgrades and worrying about taking value away.Heck, just seeing it parked in the shop makes me giddy.Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think it would be this fullfilling.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

I find it coincidental that this thread is here at the same time as Evan's thread about whether the Cobra will stand the test of time.

Basically this thread asks "What is it about the Cobra that is so appealing?"

While Evan's thread asks "Will this appeal endure?"

Interesting timing guys...
Old 06-05-2010, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I just remembered

Yesterday, I rode to the York Pa Street Rod East show in a 1940 Ford sedan that I built for the driver's wife. Now, I had attended the show many times before in my 1930 Model A chopped sedan that I had built and then sold to build my cobra. I had gone there with a For Sale sign for the cobra. BUT after reading the above posts, I suddenly remembered what it was that I liked about the cobra. Thanks guys for reminding me. Car won't be sold anytime soon!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I was a hard core Hot Rodder. Built my first one in High school. I was even at the first NSRA Nationals in Peoria, IL. In 1985 a friend built a Cobra and gave me a ride when it was done. I was hooked. I built mine the next year. I still own it. When I was a
"Street Rodder", I built seven of them. I was never satisfied. The Cobra has been here for 24yrs. I still get the feeling.

Hersh