21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default VSE Herb/Matt Adams

Does anyone have knowlege/experience with these cars? Wondering what the strengths and weaknesses of the design are, both from a performance and resale perspective.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

I thought Herb Adams only built 2 Cobras. They were very stiff frames more similar to the JBL than anything else out there, with shear sheet welded to the frame members, making a very very stiff chassis. Herb wanted a good race car. I do not know where he got the bodies from. Obviosly originality was not on Herb's list of requirements. I think the handling performance was reported to be very good, but I never really saw one at RNG for example. For resale you'd have to find a buyer with the mindset of a JBL owner probably. I have a suspension book by Herb and it discusses his Cobra project somewhat in there.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

If you will search "looking for Steve Arntz" on this forum, you can see a picture of a VSE chassis in Post #52.

If you look over the entire post, you will find some conversation about the VSE chassis.

At least one of the cars Herb Adams built has a Butler body on it and that is the picture in Post #52. Don't know about the second car. Ron Butler may know the answer and so may Jason, n6opv, on this forum. You can see his response in Post #51.

Hope this helps
Old 06-17-2010, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks

I was talking to Matt and Herb today. They told me they had built about two dozen Cobras and would consider building more.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

The Herb/Matt Adams cobras have a "backbone" frame which derives it tortional rigidity from the transmission tunnel design. This translates into a little less room in the cockpit. The genesis of this design is gone over in Herbs' book "Chassis Engineering":

http://www.amazon.com/Chassis-Engine...557880557#noop

The bodies were by a fabricator in Tempe, AZ (fellow named Kube if I remember right) and to my eye were very nice (as in accurate).

The suspension design is as good as anything out there in my opinion.

Matt ran at Run-n-Gun when it was held at Mid Ohio and was one of the fastest on the road course and autocross. Engine was very mild and only ran in the 13's on the drag strip.

He also ran a customers VSE Daytona coupe at Run-n-Gun at Gateway Int'l and again did very well This was a number of years ago.

Bit of trivia....the Cobra that spins out at the end of the movie "Bad Boys" is a VSE Cobra. They had 2 for the filming, one was a trailer queen, but for the high speed spin they used a VSE. (You can tell by the "VSE" on the brake hat.)

With regards to resale I would not expect it to hold up as well as a Superformance because it is going to appeal to a smaller crowd. Also build quality will make a big difference (variability).
Old 06-19-2010, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

still operating with his son

http://www.passion-motors.com/
http://www.vsecobra.com/
Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I found this thread with Glen from down under's help. ....and I found the thread titled looking for steve arntz, but apparently a lot of that thread has disappeared. It seems to go up to about post 15 only.

Any other ideas?

Thanks Glen!
Old 01-10-2018, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am searching for information about the VSE cars built by Herb and Matt Adams. I am considering one that is for sale. Any information good or bad you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

The above links to passion and vse don't seem to work for me.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm flying out to CA on Saturday to look at the Cobra. Any cobra experts near to Monterey to come look at it with me? I'll pay a reasonable fee.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Herb Adams VSE 427 Cobra | GTSparkplugs
Old 01-23-2018, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks D-CEL!

That is a good bit of info there! My car looks a lot like that in the construction of the frame but not exactly. I have seen only these two built by the Adams’. I am impressed with the robust frame and drive train. the Winters diff looks like it might be a 10” ring gear!

It ran well once completely warm.

I should have it in Lafayette within two weeks or so.

Woo boo!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Herb Adams Alloy VSE, Alloy 454 Chevy
Not Ranked     

The car at Herb Adams VSE 427 Cobra | GTSparkplugs is mine, have not done much with it in a while, pretty much done, needs a few things, but have been working on my Sunbeam Tiger race car.

If you have any question feel free. Also Matt is super nice and a throw down driver

I had been up to Matt and Herbs place in Monterey before they sold and moved to Detroit I think. Not sure if Matt still has the Cobra with the SBC in it, but I can attest that it was pretty mild engine so the car and driver did the real work at the track back in the Run and Gun days.

Sandy
65 Sunbeam Tiger, soon...

More at www.gtsparkplugs.com as well as the others
Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh yes, cool car! The chassis looks identical to my car except for the engine. Mine has an all aluminum SBC with the four 48 Webers.

I'm not sure what diff you have Ford 9"? Mine has the winters rear end with magnesium center castings (I believe)...looks very big, perhaps a 10" ring gear?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Herb Adams Alloy VSE, Alloy 454 Chevy
Not Ranked     

Mine has a Stock Car Products Floating Axle 9", pretty stout even with a BBC as the car is pretty light.

In retrospect a SBC or SBF would be way more than I would be needed, easier to work on too

I think their is another VSE owner that has a BBC in their car as well, most are SBC's as I recall.

Never had it on the scales but would be worth while to see what it comes in at. I think the aluminum casting for the front end is pretty heavy, but the rest is pretty light.

Have to clear out a couple projects before I get it on the road. It's 99% done, just need to do a few things, but it's stuffed on my lift as I try to get the Tiger done (never ending project).

Sandy
65 Sunbeam Tiger, soon...

More at www.gtsparkplugs.com as well as the others
Old 01-26-2018, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds good. Good luck with the Tiger!
Old 04-29-2018, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently in the process of buying a 1965 427 NAF cobra mold and building a cobra.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I'm flying out to CA on Saturday to look at the Cobra. Any cobra experts near to Monterey to come look at it with me? I'll pay a reasonable fee.
Did you go look at the cobra?
Old 04-29-2018, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought it and had it shipped to Lafayette Indiana, my home. It is at my mechanic getting an appropriate cam for the weber carbs. a smaller master cylinder, power steering and a new kirkey racing seat installed. Hope to run an autocross next saturday. I love the car and am looking forward to driving it. I corner weighed it and found it to weigh 2064# with a half tank of gas no driver but all fluids. With me in it it is perfect 5050 weight distribution. the scca classes will require me to either run with 200# ballast in XP, 300# in CAMs, or run about 400# heavy in E mod. I'll be installing a roll bar and five point harnesses too.

I love it!

Look in all cobra talk at my thread titled "Hi!"

also my intro:
New to Cobras