LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New member seeking advice before buying cobra

Hello all,
I just joined Club Cobra to ask a few of the pros out here for some advice. I have never driven a cobra, have always loved the look, as well as the sound.
I am approaching 50 and thinking about buying myself one for my birthday.
I should include I still haven't completed the 67 Chevy C10 I bought for myself for my 40Th birthday. But anyways...

I have checked out two cobra's in my area, I reside in NH. First one was a B & B Mnf big block. It had been sitting for several years and needed some work. It had two large cracks, one in the front under the head light, the other in the back at the gas filler. For the price it seemed like more than I wanted to spend.
The second was even more money, a FFR with a small block, the body work was horrible. The engine compartment was rough, lots of rust, they wanted 30K for that!!

I wanted a big block, but am being told a small block can be faster, will handle better, I realize with the right mods anything is almost possible.
I imagine a big block may run hotter too.

Can I ask, are these cars known to crack? Are there any more advantages, to owning a small block to a big block?

Lastly, I hear of people buying these right. I have not seen any prices locally that I consider right. Any comments on if 20K would get me a car that needs some freshening? I am in no rush, perhaps this winter might be a better time to buy, but wanted to ask.

I imagine there are pluses and minus to each manufactures kit. I would consider the way it was put together to be more important, but perhaps I am wrong there too?

Thanks in advance to anyone that spends the time to read this and reply with any suggestions/comments/complaints.

Thank you.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Let's see, 20K will get you a small block car you'll sink another 15-30K getting it to where you want it to be..

Does a small block out handle a big block, that all depends on how a particular car is set up.

Do these cars crack on a regular basis, not really, I can sit on the fender of my 427SC ERA replica and not crack it. I could sit on certain areas on my SPF, Contemporary, and yes even my FFR(s) and not crack the body.......Of course if you hit a curb, another car, the corner of your garage, or an Elk you can and will crack the body. Can it be expensive to repair, again that depends on the crack and bad it really is.

Buying right, again, that depends on a particular car, since rarely are two of them built the exact same way, you'll need to provide a lot more details on what you are looking for, or specifically what you are looking at for us to assist you further in that regard.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-07-2010, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

First off, Welcome to the madness.
There are several sites with cars for sale. FFCars.com has bunch and so does cobracountry.com. I just met a guy near me that just bought the FFR that Bill had for sale in PA. It should be in Dripping Springs by now. Check the websites because there are many cars for sale all over the country. Plus there are many that are partly completed and you could finish the way you want it. Check with the local Cobra Club. Those guys will help you find a good Cobra.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Coach Mike has a KC 428 stroker in a Hurricane with a hard top for sale, $39,500.
Located in Northwest Alabama. You can drive it home. All bugs are worked out.
Dwight

Last edited by Dwight; 07-07-2010 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: add pics
Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Welcome aboard, we have an active local Cobra crew that usually meet second saturday morning of the month at the Windmill restaurant in Concord. You will see a good variety of breeds on a good turnout day and a GREAT bunch of guys and gals. You can find us on the New England club forum here http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/new-england-cobra-enthusiasts/
I am up in mid Northern NH and always have a couple of breeds of Cobra in the shop so drop by and look, talk Cobras whatever.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks mickmate,
I'd like to take you up on the offer. I live on the seacoast, but have a place in Meredith, not far from Horlderness. As far as this Saturday, I would think that you only go to breakfast on nice days? Supposed to rain this Saturday I believe. I would really enjoy stoppping by and learning what I can. I am a currently a bit ignorant on these cars.

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Dwight. Beautiful car. A bit ought of my price range though. My last project I fly to Greenville SC and drove a very tired 67 Chevy pickup home. Coach Mike's car looks like a lot more fun than the last one was.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply Bill S. I will have to put my thoughts on exactly what i'm looking for down on paper. I will be back in time.
Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Appreacite the info Steve. I'm on a mission!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm 4 mins up the road from Meredith. Let me know when you're in town.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Mickmate I thought you were from down under. Did you move to the USA?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I came to the US about 15 years ago for 9 weeks of summer camp as a counselor, I'll tell you the rest of the story over a beer sometime. It's a lot of fun.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Johnnymac - Look at the for sale section on this site. Definitely hook up with your nearest club. Check out car shows. Get as close to as many cars as you can.

The range in quality of parts and builds is huge. From unsafe junk to real nice stuff. If you wait long enough some nice cars are for sale fairly cheap, for what they are. They don't always last long, so you have to already know what parts and kits make the quality, because price alone is meaningless.

Know your skills and weaknesses. Don't buy something that needs a lot of work you are not good at.

Last edited by olddog; 07-08-2010 at 08:11 PM..
Old 07-08-2010, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And we haven't been the same since he arrived!
Larry
Old 07-09-2010, 02:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
Thanks for the reply Bill S. I will have to put my thoughts on exactly what i'm looking for down on paper. I will be back in time.
Thanks again!
There is a really beautiful, well sorted, no excuses FFR MK II for sale for $26,500 not too far from you. Details can be found at the following url:
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250144

Bill S.

PS: I've got my ERA on and off the market at $48,500, but right now it's off the market again as I am not 100% sure of whether I truly want to sell it or not.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Honestly it is all about what you need for performance.There is nothing like having a big block under the hood of a Cobra,if for no other reason than the visual impact.Big Cubes means big torque, easy horsepower.If you plan to road race then it's either small block or aluminum big block.You will be able to road race a big block car just have to watch out for the torque in turns kicking thew rear out.Either way have fun in your search.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:57 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
I came to the US about 15 years ago for 9 weeks of summer camp as a counselor, I'll tell you the rest of the story over a beer sometime. It's a lot of fun.
Nick,

You see folks, "Da Bunnies" (tm) have found out that Nick is really the voice over for the Gieco Gecko

Bill S.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Both ponies have left the barn ...for now
Not Ranked     

Johnnymac,
If you are still looking I have the red 392 that Bill mentioned (thanks Bill)and it is garaged in New Hampton. Let's meet at the Meredith Town docks and I'll take you for a test blast over to Nicks ...best of both worlds!
Here are some shots from a gathering last week at Kim and Geno's in Dover. The best part about these cars is the people you meet through them. You'll likely find much of this cast of chaacters having breakfast together tomorrow at the Windmill in Concord. Look for the post in the New England regional Ciao!
Peter

Old 07-09-2010, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Cougar,
I actually came across your car before posting this. I checked out the builders website, I got to be truthful, I'm not a fan of arrest me red, I liked the wheels and sidepipes the car had previously, not to mention the blue paint. I have a vet, I found a red one before buying mine, I just couldn't do red. I would enjoy meeting you and checking out the car. Just don't want to mislead yeah, red isn't me.
In Dover last weekend huh? Dam.... I live in Dover. I have a place in Meredith, I just never get there. I work for the big insurance company in the area and have am on call and have to work this weekend, so can't leave the area. Otherwise I would meet you all for breakfast. I have several friends in Mass telling me told hold off, time will tell. I do want to thank you for the reply. We will meet in the near future.

Thanks again....Johnny.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
I wanted a big block, but am being told a small block can be faster, will handle better, I realize with the right mods anything is almost possible.
I imagine a big block may run hotter too.
Johnnymac, I thought I'd give you MY opinion on this issue....rest assured, it's not "the answer" and the issue has been debated MANY times in this forum and others.

Re: small blocks--they can be made to run as fast as a big block, probably even faster if you look at a lot of the "Run 'n' Gun" results. The small block's advantages are better F/R weight distribution (which greatly affects traction as well as handling), cooler operation (although a heavily "built" small block CAN run as hot as a mildly built big block of equivalent horsepower), lower overall weight (which affects handling and comfort), and economy (my Cobra gets 25 mpg on the highway and I have never needed to downshift to pass).

Re: big blocks--they usually have better straight line performance than small blocks (the problem with that is you will need to turn corners and go around curves sooner or later), the old saying "there is no replacement for displacement" is true when you consider driveability (the greater torque of the big blocks make daily driving much more pleasurable), if you are driving a 427SC model the "cool factor" is definitely a plus (but will be totally lost on those who just want to talk to you at the gas pumps and don't really know anything about what kind of engines Cobras had, anyway), and finally, gas mileage can be and usually is less than a small block (that can be adjusted for with rear-end and transmission gearing).

I chose a small block for my Cobra......but have no problems with friends who went big block in theirs. Mine is VERY quick off the line and most of the big blocks I play with just make tire smoke off the line, but they'll usually catch me or overtake me by the end of the 1/4 mile. Give me an 1/8 mile track anyday!!

[edit--here's a post from a different board on this forum]:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
...I still can't hook up Goodyear slicks with a well built but not "killer" side oiler. I get traction somewhere around 85 mph. 1st and 2nd are a joke, up in smoke.

I haven't got a clue why you folks want a killer torque motor, just doesn't make sense to me, I must be missing something. Recently an FFR with a 331 Windsor and dual turbos ran a 10.03 at a 140 something, with street drag tires, here at the local track. I ran that night as well, the track was pretty slippery or he would have been in the 9's. Don't think he needs a bottle, but we talked about it.

Whatever you choose, make sure it's something you'll be proud of and drive it as much as you can!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 07-21-2010 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: add Excaliber's post