28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Arntz - historically significant and valuable, or just an old kit?

I live in Australia and it's apparent that there isn't the same value placed on originality in cars over here - Cobra or otherwise. For example, nobody particularly minds if your Cobra is powered by a big or small block, Ford or Chev (or quad cam Lexus for that matter). Similarly, matching numbers muscle cars won't bring the big bucks that they'd command in the USA.

I'm interested to hear what sets the market value for an older replica for you guys. It seems like an Arntz is likely to sell in the $20K to $27K range for a 30 year old car, while a similar vintage Contemporary might be another $10K on top of that.

Seems interesting that a 30 year old Arntz is pulling the same dollars as a brand new F5, but is half the selling price of a 15 year old ERA.

In one way, I thought the brand that many would see as the one that started this industry should be worth more than they're selling for. In another way, is it just another old car that's past it's prime and valued accordingly?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

:-) I know what your thinking 750!!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

The value of an item is not determined by it historical significance, its beauty, or any other intrinsic characteristic. It is also not determined by what the seller thinks its worth or would like to get for it. It is worth a little more than what the second most interested person is actually willing to pay to own it, regardless of why he wants to own it. If there were two or more people strongly interested in owning the only Arntz up for sale, the price would rise accordingly. Apparently that is not the case. ... BTW, I recently saw a great project car I would have bought in an instant had it not been 1,400 miles away. But it would have cost me as much to retrieve it as it would to buy it.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-17-2010, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I personally think a lot has to do with whether parts are avaialable for said model. I have an Arntz, and the parts for the body would probably be quite hard to find should somebody do more than minor damage. As for the rest of it, everything is readily available.

One thing to also consider is ease of driveability. I've seen F5 cars with A/C now, automatics, pretty much a complete Mustang with a different body. If you like the way a newer Mustang drives, then it is a good deal. If you want a little more back-to-basics, then the Arntz is probably a better car.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

One suggestion.....check out the Arntz in person before you buy it. There was a time when Cobra replicas were just starting to be on the market when Arntz made a model built for VW power in the trunk.....I'm just sayin'.....

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Not Ranked     

Yeah I know what you're thinking too Craig. I haven't mentioned this in case of some zelot exercising some retrospectivity but you know the car 'what's he going to do with it' apparently the new owner will have 12 months rego as a 65 model in NSW believe it or not!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

For those wondering "what I'm thinking"... the quick answer is that the older a Cobra is, the easier it becomes to import and register here in Australia. (New = impossible, 20+yo = easier, 30+yo = easiest).

My question is still relating to what drives the value in the used Cobra market in the US, so I appreciate all opinions.

Joyridin - good point. I'm all for "back to basics"
Legless - Unfortunately, it'll only be a matter of time before the new owner gets a letter in the mail asking him to bring it in for an inspection. It's too easy for RTA to audit all "65 Cobras" in their system...!
Tommy - yep I agree. As always, there'll be the sellers holding out for top dollar, but they're also the ones who will moan that they can't sell their car...