Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Motors, 351W, Richmond T-10 4 speed,
Not Ranked     
Default A very tired subject: SB100

Well, I've had my Contemporary for sale now about a month and received some silly offers but unfortunately no cash-ola. The reason for selling is the house is in escrow, closing on the 30th and I'm supposed to be out of here by the 7th. The new place I'll be leasing doesn't have a garage and I don't want to just leave it in the driveway under a cover, even if it is "weather proof".

So one guy that came to look at it asked if it had SB100. No, I don't have that certificate but on the registration it's listed as a 1965 Ford, registration is current and I had no hassles transferring the car to my name. He said it was a big no-no and in order to operate I need that certification or my car could be impounded.

Can someone PLEASE clarify, if the car IS currently and has been registered, has current tags, a registration number, and recognized as being operable by the state of California, do I need SB100 designation?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

If you want a quicker sale, YES.

Unless your car was actually built in 1965, it is NOT a 1965 car, and if it is registered as a 1965, it and you are in danger of being impounded/prosecuted as a fraudulant registration.

If you are the first owner, then you registered it incorrectly. If you bought it from another Ca. owner, then HE registered it incorrectly and they haven't caught YOU yet.

Now, there was an amnesty period where any "incorrectly" registered vehicle can correct the registration without penalty. But, I'm not sure if that program has expired.

If it was transferred from another State and was legally registered according to that State's registration laws, then California will recognize that registration as legitimate (until they decide not to).

I would get the sb100 and register the car as the year it was first completed. Makes the car much more saleable too.

Lots of threads on this topic. Do a search and be prepared to read and read.

Last edited by jhv48; 07-20-2010 at 06:39 PM..
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

And there might even be some SB100's left!!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've read and read and my head starts spinning from all the differing opinions.

It has always been a Ca car going back to the build in 1995. So my question is HOW can it be that it was registered incorrectly? It had to have been inspected and given a number at the time, registration just doesn't happen does it? Based upon that fact, wouldn't that make it legal?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

In 1995, they were a lot less strict and they let lots of "incorrect" registrations slip by. I don't think the sb100 exemption was even available then, so everyone, in order to avoid smogging their engines, claimed that the year of their kits was pre 1967. Due to the budget problems, these registrations are seen as a form of additional revenue and the DMV is looking for them. You don't want to be turned into an "example".

If you have doubt, go down to DMV and do a "what if" scenerio. Pretend you are considering buying a car like yours and see what they tell you. Make sure you talk to someone that has half a brain, or you will get the wrong answer,
Old 07-20-2010, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     
Default SB-100 Registration

This special registration pain has been brought to you courtesy of Jerry Brown when he was Governor if my memory serves me correctly.

You really do need to get your car registered correctly, it will not only will make it sale-able (in CA) but you will also be able to keep it if you don't sell it. An extra side benefit is that you will not be persecuted and possibly prosecuted by the Kalifornia Gestapo.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is there a book "SB100 For Dummies"?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
This special registration pain has been brought to you courtesy of Jerry Brown when he was Governor if my memory serves me correctly.

You really do need to get your car registered correctly, it will not only will make it sale-able (in CA) but you will also be able to keep it if you don't sell it. An extra side benefit is that you will not be persecuted and possibly prosecuted by the Kalifornia Gestapo.

Ed
Brought to you by a different set of knotheads:

Sacramento: Senate Bill 100, authored by Senator Maurice Johannessen (R-Redding), passed the Senate unanimously 40-0 and now awaits Governor Gray Davis' signature to become law. This bill clears the air regarding emission control inspections of specially-constructed vehicles (i.e., kit cars, Cobra replicas and street rod reproductions).
Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Let's be specific. What does your title say under each heading:

Vehicle number - Don't give the actual number, but does it say CAxxxxxx?
Year Model -
Make -
Body Type -
Yr 1st Sold -

If year model is 1965 and Make is Ford and Yr 1st Sold is 1995, it might be legitimate. Only Morgester would know for sure.

But if it was registered in 1995 as a 1995 year car, if it has a 1965 motor in it (or did at the time), then it definitely was legal with regard to smog.
I don't know that there is a licensing issue here. It may be fraud to call it a 1965 Ford rather than an SPCNS. This stuff is so fuzzy, you'll get endless opinions. Call Mr. Morgester (Morgester on this forum) to get the states view.
If Yr 1st sold is 1965, it's definitely fraud.

Last edited by Paul F; 07-20-2010 at 07:28 PM..
Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
Is there a book "SB100 For Dummies"?
Here's the best "how to" thread regarding SB100. Look at post #6.

SB100 Conference at the MUSTANG RANCH

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Brought to you by a different set of knotheads:

Sacramento: Senate Bill 100, authored by Senator Maurice Johannessen (R-Redding), passed the Senate unanimously 40-0 and now awaits Governor Gray Davis' signature to become law. This bill clears the air regarding emission control inspections of specially-constructed vehicles (i.e., kit cars, Cobra replicas and street rod reproductions).
Sorry if I step on your toes, but I have big feet...you evidently don't comprehend what you read very well. I'm being direct because situations like yours are exactly why we've had the SB100 program at risk at times. Just search "Titles Unlimited" or "House of Cobras"...hell, you could probably google them.

Now read Paul F's post again...if it is actually listed as having been built in 65, it's not valid. No fair trying to blame moronic DMV employees. If your engine isn't from the early 60s (ahem...you have a Windsor), then it needs smog gear consistent with the year of the engine.

This site has had dozens of articles over the past several years on this subject, and NOWHERE has it ever been explained that having a 60s registration for a replica in California is legal. Why do you think they called it an "amnesty" program when they set it up for cobras registered using fraudulent 60s dates (and likely VINs) for registration under SB100 without incurring any legal woes for the past.

Hell, we even had a deputy attorney general weigh in on it on these pages...more than a few times.

Just because you got it transferred when you bought it and haven't been bothered by the DMV thus far does not answer the question. It usually catches up with you, and in this case, it's catching up now that you want to sell it. The prospective buyer was correct in walking away...hell, he should've run given the number of Cobras for sale with SB100 numbers.

And as for your commentary about Johannessen being a knothead, again, you obviously don't understand the first thing about the history and motivation behind SB100.

To begin with, before there was an SB100, folks fraudulently registered their cobras under 60s registrations, usually "borrowing" VINs from Fords found in a junkyard (again, via Titles Unlimited and other registration agents who "helped" customers along), or they legally registered under the special construction rules (SPCN) and had to get smogged every couple of years. Folks that did it the sometimes difficult and annoying SPCN way were laughed at by the Titles Unlimited customers. Not only did the Titles Unlimited folks avoid smog issues, they also failed to pay appropriate taxes and fees because they were registering old cars of little value as far as the DMV computers were concerned.

Maurice realized how asinine this was, and recognized that folks fraudulently registering their cars were putting themselves at risk. A cobra-owning peace officer up north even got snared in this and lost his job and pension. So Maurice, who BTW took delivery on a modern CSX, got SB100 passed to allow a legal method of obtaining a registration with a smog exemption. Informed folks know to thank him for that move. Yes, it would be nice to have a 1,000 exemptions each year, or even no limit, but at least we got something. In the early years, the numbers were grabbed in a matter of hours...now they languish unused for months due to the downturn in the economy and because folks with bad registrations have been converting over to SB100 exemptions for the past several years under the amnesty program, which has been well publicized and the subject of many articles here, and the demand has softened.

Now, having said all that, yes, it's too bad this is hitting you at a bad time given the need to sell your Cobra. You can try, but you really have no one to blame at this juncture...you can blame the previous owner if that makes you feel better. Hell, go ahead and blame me for getting in your face about this...I'd rather that than watch you go through hell by doing nothing.

Go get the damn SB100 registration...there are numbers left...and store the car until you do if you don't want to lose your ass on it or get embroiled in more problems if some dumbass does buy it from you and tries to roll the fraudulent registration over to his name...you will end up being responsible.

That's it...you can whine and b!tch about it til hell freezes over, but it isn't going to change the facts.

Sorry about the toes, but they'll heal faster than the administrative and legal (and financial) hurt you'll go through if you don't take the same action the majority of us have taken since SB100 came along.

...or sell it to someone out of state who doesn't have need of an SB100 number.

Last edited by Jamo; 07-21-2010 at 01:43 AM..
Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jamo, I didn't mean to disrespect Johannessen, that was unkind, I apologize, and I was really trying to point out that this action didn't happen under Jerry Brown, it occurred under Gray Davis. This was a reply to "This special registration pain has been brought to you courtesy of Jerry Brown when he was Governor if my memory serves me correctly." I think you've commented before on my not having facts correct and I was correcting someone else, it was just worded in a vicious, uncalled for manner. And this is not me endorsing JB.

I am not blaming you, me, or anyone else. I want to get this straightened out and have it registered properly. I don't intend to "whine" if that's the way you're perceiving it, again, I'm just looking for proper clarity. Some people are good at wrestling their way through legal forms and lawyer speak, I am not one of those people - I prefer literal layman's terms. Thanks to you and others for weighing in on this.

Now I have a fair amount more clarity on this issue. I have read many, many posts here, some going one direction, some going another and this has finally opened the window shades and shed light on the subject - thanks all for the input and now I'll download the forms and get in line as many have done before me. I would just assume keep the Cobra, continue to have fun with it, and spread the appreciation for a car whose dominance on the track as well as the street was so overwhelming.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you are just going for SB100, it's as easy as pie for a car already registered. There are no forms. It costs nothing. Sumbich, the state actually does something for free.

1. Go directly to DMV with registration in hand (bring the title for fun, but I don't believe you need it for this visit). Say "I want an SB100 Sequence number" If you get a puzzled look, repeat statement until a supervisor shows up. They will hand you an UNOFFICIAL piece of paper with the sequence number hand-written on it.
2. Wait for the official paper with the sequence number on it to show up in the mail. 2-6 weeks.
3. Call for a referee appointment from the Bureau of Automotive Repair.
4. Go to the referee with registration, title, and sequence number paper you received in the mail.
5. Sit quietly. The referee will put a sticker on your car.
6. Drive away a happy person. You now have an SB100 car. But you're not done.
7. Return to DMV with title and registration and whatever the BAR gave you.
8. The DMV will take your title and give you a new temporary registration.
9. A new title will arrive in the mail.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
If you are just going for SB100, it's as easy as pie for a car already registered. There are no forms. It costs nothing. Sumbich, the state actually does something for free.

1. Go directly to DMV with registration in hand (bring the title for fun, but I don't believe you need it for this visit). Say "I want an SB100 Sequence number" If you get a puzzled look, repeat statement until a supervisor shows up. They will hand you an UNOFFICIAL piece of paper with the sequence number hand-written on it.
2. Wait for the official paper with the sequence number on it to show up in the mail. 2-6 weeks.
4. Go to the referee with registration, title, and sequence number paper you received in the mail.
Wow, that sure makes it sound easy.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post

If it's really that easy then those 9 steps would constitute SB100 for Dummies
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

That is a pretty good summary, except, in my case, I had to go to the CHP to get a legal VIN first. The hardest part of that was finding the nearest CHP office that handles VINs. The actual visit was easy, the CHP folks were enthusiasts and not looking to give me a hard time....

Cheers

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

oh, yeah, I forgot about all the DMV forms that have to be filled out and accepted. You can get most of those on line at the DMV website.

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
If it's really that easy then those 9 steps would constitute SB100 for Dummies
Mamba,

One note - SB100 for dummies that already have their car registered.

Most people have a few more steps to do if the car is not already registered such as visit the CHP and fill out forms, pay taxes and fees, and so on.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
oh, yeah, I forgot about all the DMV forms that have to be filled out and accepted. You can get most of those on line at the DMV website.
No forms have to be filled out for SB100 if the car is already registered. No additional steps are necessary other than what I have written.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR-4000 under construction
Send a message via AIM to Don DePontee
Not Ranked     

According to the DMV and the guidelines in the SB-100 a car that has been previously registered is not eligible. Has something changed that I don't know about?
Don