Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP532, KC427FE, TWM
Not Ranked     

My 2 cents...

Life is very short, finish the car! Since completing mine 2 years ago I've had the most amazing experiences, meet some of the greatest people in the world, and have a life time of stories second to none. It's been truly magic! Every time I sit in the seat, start the engine, and drive the world seems like a pretty good place.

I don't know how many of you remember this thread:

Paul Berg Passed Away This Morning :(

The Kirkhams and the Utah Cobra club pulled this project together so Paul could drive his car. It was amazing therapy for all involved.

767Jockey, if at all possible, give the others here a chance here to do something great. It's takes great humility to let others help you when you are down.

Best wishes!

len

www.KobraBytes.com
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug, There isnt anything i can say that hasnt already been said here,from the beers ,the phone calls and your posts you need that car and as you can see alot of us think that way to ,so count me in on a donation and if theres a work party i would do my best to get back there.our thoughts and prayers are with you......
Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
... and I'm starting to believe that there's an inverse relationship between intelligence and how many diplomas you have up on the wall.
Signed, Patrick, DDS, MBA, PhD, JD, Esq., MD.

Doug, I think if you're looking for the quickest sale, then that 482 might be it. Anyway, this could be you with your next build. You may not need the 482:

Last edited by RodKnock; 08-11-2010 at 08:33 PM..
Old 08-12-2010, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
I don't know you, but I know I've read a few of your posts. Cancer diagnosis and then a divorce? Dude, you are under some major stress. I'd recommend not making any critical decisions right now---such as selling your Cobra project at a loss. Your Cobra sounds close to completion. Wouldn't it be better to corral up some friends and put it together so you could at least drive it, then decide?

More importantly: What type of cancer do you have? What is the treatment and do you have insurance?

I just finished getting my seven year-old through two years of chemotherapy for Leukemia, all the while living on the edge of needing a kidney transplant for myself, and in a marriage teetering on divorce. Working on my Cobra, having that distraction, and then finally getting to drive it really provided an outlet for me. Not sure why, but laying on cold concrete in the middle of winter underneath my Cobra while I bled the clutch lines was somehow therapeutic.

Unless you need the money, I'd say hang onto it and use it as a distraction to the stress you are currently undergoing.

Good luck,
DD
Kind of what I was thinking after reading your progress on this great sounding project.Wow,you do have a lot going on,can't imagine what it must be like.My situation sounds so insignificant compared to yours.After I bought my kit in 93 and 1/2 finished the car, got laid off from job in 94 and almost sold the car.Glad I was talked out of it.No matter, wish you the best,and will keep your car in mind.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

767 Jockey,
You nay have followed my threads here for the last umpteen years(?), professional builder, originator of the London Cobra Show, (Double Venom Spring Fling) builder of numerous Cobras, mostly C.R.'s, helping where ever I can.

If it helps and you are willing, I have a custom heated shop for still building Cobras, and Streetrods. I officially retired a month ago, but I think it was a little premature right now. I can't afford a dollar donation, BUT what I can offer is FREE storage in a Steel building, concrete floors and heat and of course space for your car. (Time is not a essential equation here) I think my quality of work stands for itself, when I have made mistakes, and Lordy knows I have had a few of those over 40 years of building, I stand behind them 200% and re-do,fix,replace what ever is necessary.

We're not close but not insurmountable distance to say the least.

I have two offers for you, ONE allow me store your car for free for what ever time you need.

2nd. With your permission I will finish your car for you in what ever way you want it. Unfortunately I will need "Someone" to pay for what ever parts you may still need.

Bottom line, a safe and secure area to store it in, (I live 10' from my shop!)
AND / OR build it or not. Absolutely your call.

Absolutely no cost except transportation (?) and possible parts.

I have absolutely no ulterior motive but to help out a fellow Cobra Member.

When you have time, think about it. This is an open non expiring offer.....

May it happen in some way!

Totally serious and valid offer(s).

Dv (Ed Combs Pentwater, Mi.)

Last edited by Double Venom; 08-12-2010 at 04:44 AM..
Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Guys, I am literally speechless. I literally don't know what to say. I have to absorb all this, I'll drop back in later tonight. I have never accepted help in my life, and I just don't know what to do.
I want to help you fulfill your Cobra project. If you decide to OK the CC Fund, consider me already on the list.

David
Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Doug,
I think that there are enough of us out there that we can get this thing done for you. I would be willing to join a build party since I am already experienced with Comtemporarys. Some people have experessed interest in making monetary donations. I am sure there are lots of us that have spare parts lying around the garage that could be donated. As other have expressed LIFE IS SHORT!. Don't let this dream go now. There are ways around bills especially medical bills. You can negotiate thousands of dollars down. If you are set on paying for college you could have your daughter take out a low interest student loan and you make the payments. I don't want to bring any negativity into this thread and we all know you will survive this but what if you don't. You need to get this done. Like the saying goes "Tommorrow never comes"
I would suggest you make a list of what parts you need and what needs to be put together so that the members here that are willing to help can start accomplishing this. LET"S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

All,
Please don't take my relative silence for lack of gratitude. Quite honestly, I am just stunned by the tone of this thread, the generosity, kindness and camaraderie that you have all sent in my direction. This has never happened to me, and quite honestly I don't know how to respond. You guys are just awesome, I'm just very confused and speechless right now. As I told someone in a PM yesterday, I have very quietly helped countless people in my life when I was in better financial and physical shape. Many times they were very reluctant to accept help, and I was never able to understand why. Now, I completely understand. You are all incredible, the offers of help are so greatly appreciated. Truthfully, I just don't know how to handle all this. It's all very new to me. One thing is for absolute certain, you are a tremendous group of people, the generosity and kindness that you bestow upon me is just buckling my knees. Thank you all so much, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of you.
Doug
Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up No buckling now, doug!

We all need some stiffening from time to time - it isn't weakness, it's life. You've done it, too - now let us all kick in too.

I'm on board with whatever I can provide - funds or force.

-Roger
Old 08-12-2010, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
All,
Please don't take my relative silence for lack of gratitude. Quite honestly, I am just stunned by the tone of this thread, the generosity, kindness and camaraderie that you have all sent in my direction. This has never happened to me, and quite honestly I don't know how to respond. You guys are just awesome, I'm just very confused and speechless right now. As I told someone in a PM yesterday, I have very quietly helped countless people in my life when I was in better financial and physical shape. Many times they were very reluctant to accept help, and I was never able to understand why. Now, I completely understand. You are all incredible, the offers of help are so greatly appreciated. Truthfully, I just don't know how to handle all this. It's all very new to me. One thing is for absolute certain, you are a tremendous group of people, the generosity and kindness that you bestow upon me is just buckling my knees. Thank you all so much, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of you.
Doug
OK, so we can pull together and do this for you then. (PS: the answer is YES)

________
Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Venom View Post
767 Jockey,
You nay have followed my threads here for the last umpteen years(?), professional builder, originator of the London Cobra Show, (Double Venom Spring Fling) builder of numerous Cobras, mostly C.R.'s, helping where ever I can.

If it helps and you are willing, I have a custom heated shop for still building Cobras, and Streetrods. I officially retired a month ago, but I think it was a little premature right now. I can't afford a dollar donation, BUT what I can offer is FREE storage in a Steel building, concrete floors and heat and of course space for your car. (Time is not a essential equation here) I think my quality of work stands for itself, when I have made mistakes, and Lordy knows I have had a few of those over 40 years of building, I stand behind them 200% and re-do,fix,replace what ever is necessary.

We're not close but not insurmountable distance to say the least.

I have two offers for you, ONE allow me store your car for free for what ever time you need.

2nd. With your permission I will finish your car for you in what ever way you want it. Unfortunately I will need "Someone" to pay for what ever parts you may still need.

Bottom line, a safe and secure area to store it in, (I live 10' from my shop!)
AND / OR build it or not. Absolutely your call.

Absolutely no cost except transportation (?) and possible parts.

I have absolutely no ulterior motive but to help out a fellow Cobra Member.

When you have time, think about it. This is an open non expiring offer.....

May it happen in some way!

Totally serious and valid offer(s).

Dv (Ed Combs Pentwater, Mi.)
Wow, that is a fantastic thing to offer.
Ed, I have watched many of your threads over the many years I have been a member on CC. Now, more than ever I want to meet you and shake your hand.

I sure hope you do get to live your dream as like others have said, nothing beats sliding into the seat of your own Cobra and going for a drive.

I will be watching for the final decission regarding what is to happen, and will happily chip in some coin to help buy parts.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

One other thing to consider:

The car will be worth more after you complete it.

Also, working on this car could be just the "therapy" you need to escape the rest of the BS that's landed on you.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

OK, so it seems that we need to figure out the following:

1) Create a fund for monetary donations (I could take this on with CobraEd, since we are both local to the DC area)

2) Figure out where the car is going to be assembled - candidates seem to be at Nick Acton's (Mickmate) place in NH (where the car is now), DoubleVenoms in MI or possibly Rick's in NJ? Thoughts?

3) How/Who will finish the build? Several options here too, but I think time is important. It could also be done in two steps - maybe a build party in NH and one in NJ or MI? Some could be volunteer and some paid. I am mindful that this is Nick and Rick's livelihood and we need to respect that. Someone who has time should take on the logistics here.

4) Get a completion status on the car (Nick?)

5) Figure out what parts we still need if any and hopefully get them donated by CC members

6) Transport the remaining parts, the car and the power train to the assembly location(s)

7) Figure out transport for the car if necessary

8) I think Doug is currently in Houston for 9 weeks or so for treatment, so maybe one of you Houston guys can PM him and give him a ride, just to remind him of what awaits him....

9) I think Doug is probably going to sell the KC 482, anyone know anyone that wants to buy it?

That seems to be a good starting point. Thoughts?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug, I sent you a PM.

________
Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Even though I may have been ripped off by another member here that I tried to help out, I'm willing to help out again.

Looks to me that there are enough people here willing to do this that it can be pulled off. I realize it's sometimes hard to accept help, but there are times when it's best. This appears to be one of those times.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug,

I cant post to the Capital Area Cobra club due to cookie related computer nonsense. Can you post this link there so that the guys can help out too.

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=106110

If you want, I can meet you at the Vienna Inn on Sat morning to discuss logistics face to face.

Ed
________
Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed, PM me with your CACC screen name and I'll post the link. Let's chat at the VI on Sat AM. I will be there.

Oh, you will probably solve the "cookie related computer nonsense" by just deleting your cookies.....which will be a bit of a PITA for a bit on other sites as they won't remember you and will have to create new cookies for you, but it should sort out your CACC issues. Or ping Scott Brooke and he can probably sort you out and tell you which CACC cookie to delete to solve the problem.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 08-12-2010, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Having just lost my wife to breast cancer 2 months ago, I can understand your feelings. Not sure about your wife, but I found that it isn't uncommon for many spouses( both) to vacate when something like this arises. Keep a positive attitude.
Just a word of advice, especially since you live in New York, STAY AWAY from anyone promising more than they can deliver. There are many people waiting to bleed you dry with unsubstantiated promises. In particular BE VERY AFRAID of an individual in NYC by the name of "Dr.Gonzales", he nearly killed my wife last year with his witchcraft and was so arrogant about his "treatment" that every time she was having issues, he calmly told her that it was a good sign that his "treatment" was working. Yeah, it worked her from stage 3 to stage 4 within months. I'm not, nor have ever been a fan of chemo, but she rebounded enormously after leaving his abusive regimen and beginning chemo. It was too late for her, but don't let your desire to cure your illness allow you to be persuaded to do something that makes no sense. He had her on over 200 pills a day, plus a bunch of other crap..but no food to speak of. He was trumpeted by Suzanne Somers on national news while hyping her new book, although she personally didn't have his treatments. She was basing her "knowledge" on interviewing his "successes", of course, she couldn't interview his non successes for obvious reasons.
Sorry for the tirade, but people like that should be boiled in oil and then quenched in water.
Take Care of yourself and use the sense that God gave you and has carried you this far.
Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Woodz428; 08-12-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 1 car garage will trailer it to anywhere in a 300 mile circle

dcdoug I talked to Doug last night. I have a new trailer coming this weekend and will pick up the car from who ever has it and bring it to my house for storage. My Garage is small but my mothers house is a 2 car garage next store. Doug needs a little help with paying off the motor. If someone is more center in location than me I will trailer the car to a location, NO CHARGE. I don't want to push Doug with the large problem he is facing already and my personal feeling about a large assembly bill is out of the question from the guy who has the car. I think that if we can sell the motor, (482) this is going to be the best thing for now. Hate to see all that money in a motor go bye-bye for a 50 cent on the dollar thing. The 390 he has will work until Doug is back on his feet and flying again. Need a location and address to help send money to help. Doug's a good man that fell on hard times. We all have been there in the last 2 years or know someone that is hurting bad. With the right guys, I see no reason that a couple of weekend get togethers we could have the car running. Guys my only problem is R&G is coming in 5 weeks. I need time to start going through my car before trucking it out to Kool-aid world. Any thoughts??? Rick L. 767 Jockey the CC gang IS NOT going to let you fail to complete your car, it's just that simple.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CobraEd and I are meeting on Sat and will have information on how to send funds by the start of next week.

www.partskeeper.com
Closed Thread