Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default My Cobra dream is over - half finished Contemporary high end build for sale

Well..........
It's over. After being diagnosed with cancer, and the double whammy of a late in life divorce shortly after, I can no longer finish the car that I so desperately wanted to build. I came to accept the fact last night what deep down I think I have known for months, that the lifelong dream had come to an end. No sense crying in my milk, it's time to move on. Therefore, the car is now for sale. Like everything else lately, my timing couldn't possibly be worse. The car is unfinished, and the market is about the lowest it's been in years. I have somewhere well north of $50K into this thing (I stopped counting there) without the engine and transmission, and I know I won't get anywhere near that. Below is a link to the build thread that I had started.

Build thread - Resurrection of an old Contemporary

I've assembled quickly just a few of the features of the car that I'll copy and paste below. I don't know what to ask for it, I really don't. If someone is interested in it, shoot me an idea of what you think it's worth. Believe me you won't insult me, I know it's not going to be pretty. I think of all the times I went overboard on things like the paint to get it exactly what I wanted, knowing now that that was (in the case of the paint $7500) money that I just threw away. I take solace in knowing that one day the car will be completed and someone is going to have one hell of a beautiful car. Hopefully one day I will see it on here and someone will be enjoying it. If I can't I certainly hope that someone else can. I have two engines for the car, one is a 390GT, the other is an incredible all aluminum 482 Sideoiler. I am thinking that I'll try to hang on to the 482, in the hope that one day the dream will be resurrected and I will be able to try again. I'm certainly down on the mat now, but I have every intention of getting up and dusting myself off and continuing. Maybe a few years down the road life will turn around and I'll be able to try again with another Cobra. in the mean time Nick Acton (Mickmate) has the car up at his place. It can be bought in its current semi assembled state or you can arrange to have Nick assemble it for you. It's a good choice to have. If I had to sum up it's current assembly state, I'd say that the suspension is done, the body is on, the electrical harness is in the car but the lights, etc need to be hooked up. The engine and trans need to be installed, and the interior needs to be installed. All in all not too bad. By the way, for some overseas buyers who may be interested, it'll make things easier emissions wise for you, as it's titled in New York State as a 1984 homebuilt. If anyone has any questions about it, fire away. I'll do my best to answer them. Life goes on....I'll be back. I have a few things to clear up between now and then.

Here's a hastily assembled list of things that come to mind about the car. I'll work on it as time allows.....

As for the car, where do I start?
Chassis:
Frame off restoration
Frame stripped bare and fully cleaned and detailed
Front Jag E Type suspension pieces bead blasted and clear powder coated
new Poly bushings throughout
all bearings cleaned, checked and repacked, new seals
all bolts on the entire car replaced with grade 8 if structural and stainless if not structural
Entire front suspension rebuilt
Koni shocks, reconditioned
Wilwood front calipers, new
Wilwood front brake pads, new
Acton Custom front caliper brackets, new
Stainless brake lines, new
New brake lines throughout the car - all
Rear suspension completely rebuilt
3:31 limited slip rear, rebuilt
all bushings in rear suspension replaced
all bearings in rear suspension replaced
Rear calipers, Jag Series II rebuilt, new pads, stainless sleeved.
Rear hubs rebuilt
Acton Custom rear hub grease fitting equipped caps in rear hubs
Acton Custom aluminum comp style fuel tank, original style comp tank mounting system. Plumbed for 1/2" supply and return lines. Fully baffled and vented fuel tank
Acton Custom original type custom built floor mounted pedal box
Brand new Vintage Wheel pin drive knock off wheels, as original
Goodyear 'Billboard" tires
1/2 " fuel line - hard line, not hose
Custom built removable transmission crossmember
Acton Custom polished heavy wall tube stainless steel roll bar, original height and shape.
Custom welded frame mounts for roll bar. Roll bar is very solidly mounted and fully functional
Sidepipes redone and brand new with Classic Chambered 3" core packed mufflers by Acton Custom. HUGE power potential, not too loud.
Sidepipes are white ceramic coated
Header pipes are brand new, never used. Ceramic coated in mid sheen chrome look.

Body:
Fresh Paint, indigo blue with proper size and shape Wimbledon White stripes
Kirkham aluminum hood scoop mounted with proper size, shape and placement rivets
Proper size, shape and placement rivets around leading edge of hood
Properly smooth finished underside and painted hood and deck lid, same color as car
Proper size and shape oval hole in hood under scoop
Rounded edges of cockpit have rivets placed underneath to simulate aluminum as originally riveted on original cars
Upside down Contemporary original type door levers reversed to be exactly like original
Brand new Ron Francis wiring harness
All relay driven electrical system. All loads are on relays
All new Lucas switches
All proper Smiths gauges. Speedo (reverse type), tach, voltmeter and fuel guage are brand new. all other guages were operationally checked as perfect by Nisonger Instruments
Custom made and powder coated original type dash downtubes
MSD 6AL ignition box mounted under dash, out of sight
Rebuilt Lucas headlight buckets and Lucas original type headlight leads
New Lucas headlight chrome bezels
New parking light lenses, front
All lights have Weather Pak disconnects
Original type oil cooler in nose
Fluidyne original type radiator, laid back at original type angle
Pusher fans, relay driven, custom built by Acton Custom
New Spal high CFM fan, relay driven
Lucas wiper motor and linkage
Newly recovered steel tube seats as original, recovered in leather (Black)
Stainless steel jack hooks
Aluminum firewall
There are probably a million more details on this car that I can't even begin to think of. This car was built with no regard to expense, the absolute best of everything was used. I was a lunatic, this was to be my life long dream car. I was going to build a brand new ERA, it would have been easier and cheaper, but the purist in me needed a round tube frame, hence the project. It was a dream, not an investment. There were NO corners cut on this car. None.

Now for the 390:
Milodon factory reconditioned road racing oil pan, gold anodized, fully hinged trap doors inside. This oil pan was fully reconditioned at the Milodon factory, and has never been installed since.
Factory type dipstick and tube.
Melling HV oil pump - new in box
Ford 390 GT crank
Ford 390 GT rods
Ford 390 GT pistons
Ford 390 GT block, .030 over

Comp Cams full roller timing chain - new in box
Comp 282S solid lifter cam and lifters - new in box
Ford 390 GT pushrods
Ford 390 GT adjustable valvetrain
Ford D2EE-AA cylinder heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
Holley 650 double pumper carb
Mallory Unilite distributor
Most horsepower estimates on this engine are in the 400 HP range.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 08-11-2010 at 09:26 AM..
Old 08-11-2010, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I don't know you, but I know I've read a few of your posts. Cancer diagnosis and then a divorce? Dude, you are under some major stress. I'd recommend not making any critical decisions right now---such as selling your Cobra project at a loss. Your Cobra sounds close to completion. Wouldn't it be better to corral up some friends and put it together so you could at least drive it, then decide?

More importantly: What type of cancer do you have? What is the treatment and do you have insurance?

I just finished getting my seven year-old through two years of chemotherapy for Leukemia, all the while living on the edge of needing a kidney transplant for myself, and in a marriage teetering on divorce. Working on my Cobra, having that distraction, and then finally getting to drive it really provided an outlet for me. Not sure why, but laying on cold concrete in the middle of winter underneath my Cobra while I bled the clutch lines was somehow therapeutic.

Unless you need the money, I'd say hang onto it and use it as a distraction to the stress you are currently undergoing.

Good luck,
DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
I don't know you, but I know I've read a few of your posts. Cancer diagnosis and then a divorce? Dude, you are under some major stress. I'd recommend not making any critical decisions right now---such as selling your Cobra project at a loss. Your Cobra sounds close to completion. Wouldn't it be better to corral up some friends and put it together so you could at least drive it, then decide?

More importantly: What type of cancer do you have? What is the treatment and do you have insurance?

I just finished getting my seven year-old through two years of chemotherapy for Leukemia, all the while living on the edge of needing a kidney transplant for myself, and in a marriage teetering on divorce. Working on my Cobra, having that distraction, and then finally getting to drive it really provided an outlet for me. Not sure why, but laying on cold concrete in the middle of winter underneath my Cobra while I bled the clutch lines was somehow therapeutic.

Unless you need the money, I'd say hang onto it and use it as a distraction to the stress you are currently undergoing.

Good luck,
DD
Thanks, Doug. My ex and I still get along just fine, but she got the house, she got the garage, she got the money, I got the Cobra, I've got nowhere to finish it, I got the cancer and I got the child support payment. My oldest started college this year. I have to start radiation therapy within the next month or so, and insurance covers most of it, but it doesn't cover all of it. I'd love nothing better than to keep the Cobra, God knows I need something good to happen in my life now, but today's not the day for that to happen, and tomorrow's not looking so great either.....
Unfortunately, I've looked for months for a way to keep it, and I just can't find one. It has to go. Thanks for the response, though. I appreciate it. Hopefully all works out well for you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you, keep your head up. My Dad was the finest person I have ever met, and he taught me long ago, life isn't about how many times you get knocked down, it's about how many times you get up.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I can't believe you are giving up!!!

767 Jockey Doug You have to be kidding RIGHT. IF you where in front of me, I am kicking you to the freaken moon. You need a place to keep the car for some time. Call ME. I just buried my mother 3 weeks ago. She beat cancer 3 times. You are going through a rough time. Get some DAMN help. You have friend all over. Call one!! Send a private e-mail on what you need. All this time and work and you are having a fire sale. Lets fight 1 problem at a time. Getting rid of the cobra is not a problem, it cost nothing right now. I got to go before I explode. Give me a call Rick L.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Sell the extra engine for short-term cash, keep the Cobra?

Dunno, man, I think I'm with Rick on this one. Call a friend.

This, too, will pass.
DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

So sorry to hear about life's valley your experiencing. Remember, this is just temporary! There will be a hill to climb, then you will be on top on the mountain again! Don't give up on life!

My wife's aunt is undergoing radiation treatment for lymphomia and through her I understand what you will be going through. You will be in my prayers.

You are an airline pilot? I fly for fun and have my private instrument rating which requires a 3rd class medical. I believe you need a 1st class medical? Will the cancer or treatments cause any issues with the FAA?

Rodger
Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This is one of the saddest threads I've read in a long, long time. I say put the car in storage and kind of "regroup." Both mentally and physically.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

So sorry cobra friend. This is a tough situation you're in. I'll be praying for you.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default An Idea

Have Nick put your car over in Rt. 3 storage in Plymouth. It's 15 minutes from him and you can store it there, safe and dry, for a very modest charge, while you regroup.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Doug,

"Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence." Buddha

Plan your next move carefully. Life should be fun. I wish you the best of health and luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Just hang on, Jock

You're not at the end, amigo. Not the end of life, not the end of love, not the end of the Cobra. Said so yourself, and that's the right place to be.

Sh*t does happen, but somehow we do manage to move on. You have way, way too much vested in this to just say f*ck it and let it go away. You will survive the divorce, you will survive the treatments, you will survive the college tuition. What happens when you find this out and don't have the dream anymore, 'cause you sold it in a pit of despair?

Find a garage and set it there, with its' parts. DD and Ricky are right, old man, just set it aside for a bit and go back to it when you are in the mind to do so. You'll be making money, so don't sweat that right now - just have to divert some of it to other uses for the time being.

Ride it out, brother. This is not the time to just dump this dream.

-RCP
Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You've definitely been dealt a tough hand.

I wish you the best of luck, with the cancer fight.

I'm nowhere near you, so cannot lend a hand, but if there is a way financially, for you to swing it, I'd urge you to consider some of the offers by other forum members, to store your car, and/or help out.

If you've lost interest, then that's another matter. it happens.

Anyway all the best
Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not be blunt but it sounds like it is time to start taking care of YOURSELF. Kid going to college, fantastic, you did a great job raising him/her, graduated high school, great, time for them to be an adult and take care of themselves. They dont want to take school loans, live at home go to a junior college a couple years etc. Join the military and get them to pay for it. Your plate is full, not your job to deal with it. As far as the Ex,great that you are friends, just dont have to many like that, LOL. You are miles ahead selling a completed cobra than pieces, It appears you have many supporters here on the forumn, one offering a cheap storage option, others helping to complete assembly. The only person you have to worry about now is YOU. Time for everyone else in your circle to take up some of the load.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Don't get rid of the one thing that makes you happy. Your project has given enjoyment and hope to you and a lot of people that have been following your build and we all sense your need to work on your project. It seems to me that your car is good medicine for you,don't get off your meds.. I'm sure you have thought about it a lot and have come up with this tuff decision but listen to what your friends at CC have to offer. What can I do to help you?

Mark S.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I don't know you, but this is a very sad story and I've thought about it on and off all day. Don't sell it. Sell one of the engines and have Nick finish the car for you. Keep the 482 if you can, if not, selling that should give you enough to have Nick take care of the rest.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 08-11-2010, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

I live in Ma and have a large barn. I've been an ED MD at a large center for 6 years. I have space for storage. If the Car rolls you can put it in my barn basement. It's dry down there and it will be safe. I don't really money for storage. It sounds like your going through some tough times. Let me know if I can help. I have plnety of cars and really don't need a project so I have no interest in the Contemporary. We would have to have some sort of finite interval. Maybe 2-3 years?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
I live in Ma and have a large barn. I've been an ED MD at a large center for 6 years. I have space for storage. If the Car rolls you can put it in my barn basement. It's dry down there and it will be safe. I don't really money for storage. It sounds like your going through some tough times. Let me know if I can help. I have plnety of cars and really don't need a project so I have no interest in the Contemporary. We would have to have some sort of finite interval. Maybe 2-3 years?
What a great offer. The camaraderie of the members of CC never ceases to amaze me.

I hope 767Jockey takes you up on your offer.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33344 with original bore 427 SO.
Not Ranked     
Default Dont give up!

Doug,
You and I shared emails re: cancer. Mine is cured, but I have some side effects that are inconvenient to say the least. But I still enjoy my Contemporary daily.
Your car may be the only thing you can look forward to when this is over. And it will be over some day! Don't do something you will regret later on. Unless you need the money, you've already sunk big $$$ that you wont get back, especially as a roller. Ask God for guidance, it's amazing how He works things out...I know from personal experience.

Good Luck
Ray
Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
767 Jockey Doug You have to be kidding RIGHT. IF you where in front of me, I am kicking you to the freaken moon. You need a place to keep the car for some time. Call ME. I just buried my mother 3 weeks ago. She beat cancer 3 times. You are going through a rough time. Get some DAMN help. You have friend all over. Call one!! Send a private e-mail on what you need. All this time and work and you are having a fire sale. Lets fight 1 problem at a time. Getting rid of the cobra is not a problem, it cost nothing right now. I got to go before I explode. Give me a call Rick L.
X2, hell, we can all meet at Rick's and have a build party, east coast style........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pretty nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
I've been an ED MD at a large center for 6 years. I have space for storage. If the Car rolls you can put it in my barn basement.
That's the nicest offer that's come off this site in a long, long time. Especially from an erectile dysfunction physician. Say Chas, maybe you could get a discount on those funny looking little blue pills you covet?
Closed Thread