Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 289 #2054
Not Ranked     
Default “Rushin” is registered and insured…now the inspection

I went to the NJ DMV over the weekend with the CT title and registered the car in NJ. The car was titled as a 2005 “COM” on the CT registration which is short for composite vehicle. When I showed it to the people at the NJ DMV they asked what the heck “COM” was and it should say something like Nissan, Honda, Ford…etc. I shrugged my shouldered and said I didn’t understand what they were talking about. They quickly grew frustrated and just wanted to get rid of me. They printed up a NJ title that said “COM” as the vehicle make and I walked out the door happy (or I thought) my car was titled in NJ.
Now for my next problem, getting the car’s emissions inspected. I’ve been to two local garages and got the same story. Since my vehicle is registered as a 2005 car it must pass 2005 emission requirements. To make matters worse they don’t even do the dip stick in the tail pipes anymore it is all by computer. The only people that still have the dip stick testers are the state and that is the last place I want to take the car for inspection. If I fail I have 45 days to make all changes and have them documented before I try again.
Now do I go back to the DMV and try to get the car reregistered as a “Specially Constructed Vehicle”, which will take months? Or do I just go to the state run inspection agency and cross my fingers? I have a 1979 351W under the hood is there really any chance this thing actually passes? If anyone has another idea please let me know ASAP.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

You have just entered the worst situation you could have found yourself in. This is the problem with NJ, they will take the other state title at face value if you do nothing and play stupid. When you have another state title that lists 1965 or 1966 then you are winner. On the other hand you have a 2005 title ... now the nightmare begins.

You will not pass the emissions test. You will end up at the state inspection and watch as someone who has no idea how to drive/shift/etc. a car like this completely rapes your car to try and test it, only to tell you it has failed.

Others may disagree but your only option is to try and get an exemption letter on the emissions and to do that requires the full NJ Specially Constructed vehicle process.

Or you register somewhere else, however this will be complicated by the damn CT 2005 Composite mess.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your honesty. I hope there is another option. I have several other feelers out there. I hope one has a better option.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Move to CA. It's easy, er, I mean easier.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Richie (no longer there) took me for a ride in it when first completed. Great car then, hope still is.
You're in a sticky spot, I wish you best luck.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Quote:
When you have another state title that lists 1965 or 1966 then you are winner. On the other hand you have a 2005 title ... now the nightmare begins.
Do I hear an echo?

Where is Excalibur?
Quote:
For the most part a title that says the car is a "1965", and we know a replica is NOT, is little more than smoke and mirrors. It can cause more trouble and legal problems than it's worth. If someone says it's registered as a 1965-66 and "hypes" about how cool that is, just blow it off, it don't mean squat to the DMV. Unless, the DMV can figure out how to charge you with FRAUD, then it has meaning!
JPIT, I'm sorry to hear your having troubles! It is not what you want to hear and to have the car sitting there without the being able to drive it or anything! It really drives some of the points home others and I made. It sucks and that's the world we live in. I really don't have any advice for you but to try and stay positive and LISTEN to Mr. Mustang or Cashburn for advice. They have a lot of knowledge of the in's and out's of the DMV up there. That's the info that's invaluable now! It just frustrates me to hear these types of stories when all you want to do is have a nice car, pay your taxes, and drive the thing. Maybe Excalibur will shed some light on that whole "titled as a 65/ 66 don't mean squat!" statement... Good Luck! Matt
Old 10-07-2010, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

I would think now the only way you will be able to get it through the doors is to have an engine that's emissions exempt, before a certain date. Here in Ga. it's like a 1969/ 1970 or older block. Now, do they check those casting numbers here, no, but up there I believe they do! Like Cashburn said in an earlier post, try and get one with a 289 and it will pass through. Now, I'm afraid your stuck. Keep us posted! Matt
Old 10-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

There's always a way... it just gets cloudy and you will have to find the right person to get you through the maze. The best option is to get in touch with someone who has done exactly what you are trying to do recently.

That means finding someone who has purchased a used replica with a previous title that puts the year as 2001 or later with an engine that has a date code after 1972.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for everyone's help. I've only had the car two weeks and loved every second of it. It drives even better than I had hoped. Winter is approaching and if it takes 6 months to get everything sorted out with the title than so be it, I would not have lost too much driving time anyway. It took most of you guys a couple years to build your dream cars so I should not complain about a couple months.
I still have a bunch of phone calls to make to try and figure this whole mess out. I'll keep everyone posted on the process so the next guy that goes through this will have an easier time.
I can drive the car for another week before I absolutely have to get it inspected and if/when it fails I think I get another little grace peroid.

The real fun is in the chase

John
Old 10-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It's very interesting that NJ will allow registration and insurance without title and inspection.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

JPit, there is a subforum specifically for "registration" issues. Perhaps you could also post there, I know that when I was curious regarding registration in Kansas that the "registration" forum was where I looked first.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/registration-forum/

I'm so saddened by this recent development....read and participated in your thread where you searched for the right car, rejoiced when you got your Cobra, now this.....I think you have a wonderful attitude regarding the process, though. This would be enough to discourage most mortal men!

Cheers and good luck from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Not that I went thru the same process as you, but I can tell you that there are private inspection stations that can test with the probe up the tail pipe. You have to call around - I can give you the name of the place I used in Princeton if it helps. But they will only change the emissions test date with an exemption letter that they can copy.

Ray