LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Cobra Willment 427 Cobra ghia book alive and well

I was glad to see in a British magazine the other day that
the Willment/Ghia 427 Cobra coupe built for Sir John Willment with a Ghia built alloy body atop an unused 427 Cobra chassis from back in the day is out and about, appearing at events. I know someday someone will lift the body off and put a 427 Cobra body on but it's fun to see this much power in such a beautiful body. The website that pictures it is
http://www.secondstrike.com/Coupe/OtherCoupes.htm
Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I've seen it a couple of times at events, namely the Silverstone Classic, held each July and it is a good looking car, although the rear is a little less resolved in my opinion.
I seriously doubt the Ghia body will ever be replaced by a Cobra body as it now has genuine value, appeal and uniqueness in its own right.

Paul
Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

SIR John Willment? He'd be delighted (but sadly now deceased) Not thinking of Sir John Whitmore are we....? :-)

The car now has the owner it so desperately needed and over the course of three years he pretty much went through the car and sorted it himself. It now drives perfectly and even handles! Not even a sign of overheating...!!! The appalling 70s dash the Willment mechanics lobbed inside has been replaced by a proper 427-style dash and the steering relocated to fit. It's now a useable car and it'll be a cold day in hell before that body gets removed to turn it into a Cobra!!! Not gonna happen - this car is a one-off and if we ever need to get down to discussing the grubby issue of 'money' (no, it's not for sale!!) then I'd value it way in excess of a mere 427 Cobra. I love it - and especialy the much neater and tidier rear end, handmade by a liitle ol' man in his garden shed - it's called craftsmanship
Old 11-15-2010, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I could be wrong, but I think that I have pictures I took of that car when it was just a body on a chassis at the old Holman Moody shop in Charlotte, NC back around 1987. Some guy took a mold off of it and made a couple of fiberglass bodies from it. I remember a red small block something like it being there also. In the red car, a small panel lifted up in the front of the footbox. Glad to hear that the 427 body has been built. Regards.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

After looking at the web site with the Ghia Coupe, I realize that the Ghia is not the coupe that I was referring to. The cars that I looked at, had the look of a Daytona Coupe. Regards.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

I wonder why no company is replicating the Ghia coupe. The looks of it are just stunning, I would love to put one in my garage, next to the Lola T70, McLaren M8 and the Cro-Sal Cheetah ( hey I can dream, can't I? )
Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"I love it - and especialy the much neater and tidier rear end, handmade by a liitle ol' man in his garden shed - it's called craftsmanship."

I believe an authority on the matter has attributed the original work to winos working under a bridge.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Ah, the legend of the winos under the bridge again! You just can't beat a good fairytale can you?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
Ah, the legend of the winos under the bridge again! You just can't beat a good fairytale can you?
Trevor,

Do you mean the Brownlowe Sheet metal Company was NOT under a bridge and staffed by winos?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-15-2010, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

does anyone have a link to more/better pictures of the one off green cobra coupe? That looks stunning!!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I love it - and especialy the much neater and tidier rear end, handmade by a liitle ol' man in his garden shed
I'm not suggesting the rear end is ugly or even unattractive Trevor, I just don't feel that it fits entirely comfortably with the front, which looks terrific.

As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would still love it in my garage though and it is odd to think that it was pretty much unloved and unwanted for so long.

Paul
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
I'm not suggesting the rear end is ugly or even unattractive Trevor, I just don't feel that it fits entirely comfortably with the front, which looks terrific.

As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would still love it in my garage though and it is odd to think that it was pretty much unloved and unwanted for so long.

Paul
With an arse like that, I for one am not at all surprised no one loved or wanted the poor bugger until it's value and provenance became a consideration. Unique, significant and interesting, yes, but (from the rear) fuuuuuuug-ly!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

In photos, yes, it's...large. Oddly, in the metal it's a very different story. In my opinion. Oh well, lets write off all 22 Ghia Supersonics then. But in its time, it was a unique piece of cutting-edge design - remember we're judging it some 50 years on!! Just imagine seeing a car that looked like that cruising down the road in 1955

Rick - so we're talking about the Brownlowe winos?? That's different, never worked a sober day in their lives, as everyone knows ;-)
Old 11-15-2010, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

I agree the Ghia Supersonic is beautiful in the flesh, however the required lengthened body work to fit the CSX3055 chassis is ahh...(add your own word)

Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

The appalling 70s dash the Willment mechanics lobbed inside has been replaced by a proper 427-style dash and the steering relocated to fit.
Trevor, please tolerate a few questions as you have first hand knowledge of the car.

Is it built on an unaltered 90" wheel base chassis? Please describe the steering alteration- do you mean to right hand drive?

I ask because it appears as though Ghia has extended the hood opening to near the radiator position but maintained the overhangs front and rear. Is the car also 156" LOA as a Cobra?

Thanks,
Old 11-15-2010, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

As far as I'm aware the chassis was never altered, it was the body that was 'persuaded' to fit (bet they had fun with that)
Steering was RHD from the off, it was the steering column that was modified to allow the wheel to be the correct distance from both dash and driver, plus the angle was modified so it steers better - one of those silly things that was never really sorted before.
Don't know the length, never measured it, no reason to. Just went for a long drive and took some snaps. Nice.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was just looking at those skinny tires thinking they don't have a snow balls chance in hell of surviving WOT with the 427 (or even a 289).
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289 with 65 289 SBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8tr View Post
does anyone have a link to more/better pictures of the one off green cobra coupe? That looks stunning!!

I think you are on about A98 the AC Coupe.

http://www.the289register.com/phpBB3....php?f=2&t=898

A couple of the guys from our little club went up to Scotland to see it last year.