Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I think you're/we're also making an asssumption that the $16K original type suspension that Kirkham offers on their website equals the CSX8000 suspension. It would be interesting to know if they're one in the same.
The "original" suspension referred to is in lieu of the newer billet stuff; it refers to the tubular arms, etc. But that's for a coil-spring chassis.

The street car is leaf spring.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Hmmm....We now have a lovely tube frame/transverse leaf car from Superformance/Hi-Tech in the MK II 289 FIA/USRRC car. And Hi-Tech is building the composite (Fiberglass to you and me) Anniversary Editions for CS based upon that chassis/suspension unit. Doesn't take rocket science to add it up and figure out what could be next from Superformance.......

No "signed dashboard" option from us, unless you want MY signature (and trust me, you don't!) but we offer very nice cars!

Any prices for the Hi tech/Superformance 289 FIA??
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It would appear we can drop the $16K original suspension number from the cost of the K car vs the Shelby offering?

As such we stand at:
$70K (Kirkham) vs $135K (Shelby), for the base cars with paint.

This is purely a number crunching exercise and is not meant to reflect good or bad on the market value of either or any car compared to this new limited editon Shelby offering.

Kirkham notes on their web site the reason for the higher cost of the 289 version vs their 427 version is simple supply and demand. With less volume the cost per unit goes up.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Things started going downhill the day the SAAC registry decided to include replicas. But I guess that enlarging the customer base is just good business.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Whatever the cost difference between the KMP and the CSX, there are going to be 50 butts for all 50 driver's seats. Which is great.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcocsx3121 View Post
Things started going downhill the day the SAAC registry decided to include replicas. But I guess that enlarging the customer base is just good business.
By replica, do you mean continuation CSX's as well as Kirkham, Autokraft and ghost builders?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.B.C View Post
Any prices for the Hi tech/Superformance 289 FIA??
call 716 407 0975 or email rickATtimemachinesauto.com for details

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
By replica, do you mean continuation CSX's as well as Kirkham, Autokraft and ghost builders?
Yep, everything but a CSX 2000 or 3000 s/n.

I'm just an old smart ass that spends too much time reminiscing about the old days..
Old 01-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcocsx3121 View Post
Yep, everything but a CSX 2000 or 3000 s/n.

I'm just an old smart ass that spends too much time reminiscing about the old days..
NO problem here with that belief. Just wondering where you were coming from.
You're not a smart ass, you're a purist.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Of course the fundamental reason SAAC includes such cars as the Kirkham is to keep track of potential "fraud cars" now and going into the future. You gotta watch those Kirkham owners like a hawk! It is not the intent of the registiry to increase the value or desireability of any given car. It's just the facts, the history, thats all it's meant to be.

We have many examples of "new" cars (built after 1967) that managed to acquire either an old CSX series number, or a new modern CSX series number. Sometimes the "story" is difficult to follow. It's not necessarily fraud, but it may not be 100% "genuine" or "original" either. If you were buying a modern used CSX car wouldn't you like to know the history, how and when the CSX number was issued? Where and when the car originated?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

I really wish ERA had started manufacturing THEIR slabside 3 years ago when I bought my FIA. I definitely would have bought one. Totally turnkey, Keith Craft motor, custom rear with outboard brakes etc., comes in less than the Shelby glass roller. But it is a replica ... and looks exactly like the photo or the original. However I do agree, cash flow aside, an aluminum anniversary car does look and sound very appealing!! Nice to see something besides a blue / white stripe / 427 SC.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Man, you guys must be bored. I knew the mental masturbation was coming when Becker made the original post (and I suspect he knew what was coming after he posted, as well). Like a bunch of monkeys that discover a pile of $hit--you just can't help wallowing in it.

The anniversary CSX 8000s look like nice cars (not really my cup of tea); and if Shelby is able to sell all 50 at a premium--then good for him (value is driven by what consumers are willing to pay).

No, the CSX 8000 cars aren't original Cobras (stating the obvious). And yes, Kirkhams are awesome cars too.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A relative value asessment of any given product, is what Club Cobra does,,, Stentor.

Shelby products, like Street Beast products, carry no special exemption. All makes and models will get a thorough review around here, good, bad or ugly!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
Man, you guys must be bored. I knew the mental masturbation was coming when Becker made the original post (and I suspect he knew what was coming after he posted, as well). Like a bunch of monkeys that discover a pile of $hit--you just can't help wallowing in it.

The anniversary CSX 8000s look like nice cars (not really my cup of tea); and if Shelby is able to sell all 50 at a premium--then good for him (value is driven by what consumers are willing to pay).

No, the CSX 8000 cars aren't original Cobras (stating the obvious). And yes, Kirkhams are awesome cars too.
+1. Expressed very well, especially the monkey part.

Just don't get Ernie started on Oregon, registration and replicas.
Thank you.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
Like a bunch of monkeys that discover a pile of $hit--you just can't help wallowing in it.
Welcome to the cage, good of you to join the rest of us "monkey's" for the wallow session.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

I, for one, take offense to that statement.

We monkeys fling it, not wallow in it.

And to stay on topic, that is one sweet ride. Even in glass...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
A relative value asessment of any given product, is what Club Cobra does,,, Stentor.

Shelby products, like Street Beast products, carry no special exemption. All makes and models will get a thorough review around here, good, bad or ugly!

But must it happen in EVERY Shelby topic EVERY time? There is nothing new here except for the announcement. Everyone else has said the exact same things every time. The discussion of Provenance vs Prominence was at least something new.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would still like to know, if at all possible, what the breakdown is between aluminum and fiberglass for these 50 cars. If I were a betting man, then I would be bet the "over" on the aluminum body.

It should be a very special car.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I would still like to know, if at all possible, what the breakdown is between aluminum and fiberglass for these 50 cars. If I were a betting man, then I would be bet the "over" on the aluminum body.

It should be a very special car.
Aren't they going to be built to spec? My guess will be most will be (chosen to be) glass.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I would like to build them the engine that they need for the cars. Have some very nice small block mills that would work as well as the old stand by FE. Hope everyone keeps building them and that they need good engines for them.
I know some will be told to get an engine from Shelby but be careful there. I have tried to work out a engine program with them for years that would make things easier for them and each customer could get a nice engine in a respectable time. I already use a lot of there parts, just seems like a win/ win for all. I guess I am not a good enough sales person. Just like the cars they would pay a fee for the Shelby paper work and number but I am sure some would want it in their Shelby cars.
Well I thought it was a good ideal anyway. Make your product better by dealing with the best suppliers, that is what I try to do. This is one reason the Kirkham's and I get along so well.

Good luck, Keith Craft