Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 545 stroker
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Bought my Midstates in 1997, finished in 1999 and still own it today. It's getting the engine freshened up this winter and a few other upgrades but it's still mine.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Does still building it count? All it needs is paint and some assembly. Well, maybe tires too. But I have everything else for it - honest.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Does still building it count? All it needs is paint and some assembly. Well, maybe tires too. But I have everything else for it - honest.
It sure does count DanEc.These cars are truly never done being tweaked,always looking to make them better.My latest search has me looking for better rear viewing with top on.The dash mirror was fixed by extending the post a couple of inches.Now trying to find a mirror that works better than the cowl mirror.Another little project was to install a cigar lighter just for easy access to plug in Battery Tender.Next winter thinking about taking top of motor apart to polish all the aluminum,heads intake,water pump,etc.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I picked up my Midstates in Nebraska from the Kalios Dec. 20 1992. My wife gave me abig red christmas bow to put on the back for the trip home.

I put it on the road Labor Day of 04. I had put in a crate 428 that was supposed to be 428hp.HA HA. after about a hundred miles I told my wife it was fast enough but not quick enough She would tell people later on that she supposed that I just wanted to get to fast quicker ( I used to own Fuelers back in the 60s ).

I located a 427 CO. shortly therafter put a 428 crank in it and went from there. It ended up to be a 484 with a TWM 50MM setup

In october 09 I was out for a ride and noticed smoke coming out of the pipes, a lot of smoke, fouling plugs every 60-70 miles. I took it home and decided to take the top end off. I didn't tear it apart untill April of 10 (went to Florida for some beach therapy).

Upon tearing it down in the spring I found a sucked in intake gasket fp1247s cracked and broken ring lands. Not the top land but the second one (This not the first time this has happened to me the first time was back in 2006 using the same pistons. These are JE sportsman pistons, don't get me wrong,I am NOT blaming JE for the problem just cannot figure out what was causing it. This set was in since Sept. 05.
I also noticed that two lifters (mechanical) were starting to wear, the cam had no wear but FISHEYES had started to form on the lobes. I had using the right oils plus additives at every oil change.

So anyway since my old block was a mechanical casting and I had a marine block that I picked up years ago I decided to use it with a hydraulic roller setup. Called Kieth and ordered some Diamond pistons and one of his hydraulic rollers with Lunati lifters. Had my machine shop (Miller Machine Haverhill MA) whom I have been doing bussiness with for 47 years,we both ran fuelers together, get me a new Eagle crank and rods.

The motor is now in and running. I cannot do much more untill the spring when I can fool around with ECU.

I'm sorry I got a lttle long winded and of the track with this but I wanted people to know the stories you hear about the intake and the cam problems are out there and are not getting any better. Also if anyone is thinking about finding a used block and building a motor forget it. By the time I got done with mine I could have picked up a new genisis cast for about $700more
Old 02-07-2011, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Purchased my FFR MKII in 1/2001. Finished in 6/2002. +70,000 miles of smiles.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Started in 93 looking at cars

Asked about 1 thousand question on the cobras and but money down in 95 for an ERA after seeing one hit a burm at mid Ohio and the driver walk away. Car had damage to the front end but the frame was still square. Picked the car up after 6 month wait in 96. Been back to ERA for up grades, Wider body for 17" wheels, Power steering, Painting, and roll cage. The work doesn't stop. Every year changes for better running of the car. 17 years, biggest money drain on the pocket and worth every penny. Rick L.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique&Collectible 392 stroked
Not Ranked     

I built my own and love it. Every time I walk into the garage and see it sitting there i shake my head because I cant believe its mine. I plan to keep it .
Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Cobraman,been a little concerned about oils myself even synthetics with flat tappet cams.Since the EPA has been screaming the oil Co's have removed all the Zinc,now we have to find oil blended with extra Zinc.It is available.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

After studying lots of real Cobras and a bunch of Cobra replicas, I knew I wanted a 289 FIA car, and I wanted it to be an ERA. I ordered my car from ERA at the Kit Car Show in Carlisle, PA in May, 1992. The roller was delivered to me in December, 1995 - being their first 289 FIA, it took a little longer than normal. I made three trips to New Britain while they were developing the kit (maybe my visits and suggestions for changes slowed them down a little bit?). I was able to get the car "close enough" to finished to be invited to put it in ERA's display at Kit Car Carlisle in May, 1997. We had to push it into the display - I didn't actually "fire it up" until July 4, 1997 - quite a good way to celebrate the Fourth of July, I thought.

I've had it on the track a few times, and won trophies at a number of shows (including "Best Cobra Replica" at four SAAC Conventions). I've personalized the car to my taste, and could not imagine ever parting with it. It is the embodiement of my Cobra dream.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Not a lot of my car was "kit". There was a lot of fitting Ford parts to the car with fabrication of parts as needed.

I think it turned out fine.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

I built ERA505 from August 1997 to January 1998 and I still own and enjoy it.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I built mine and I drive it.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5R mk3.1 sbf
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up picked up in 2009

mk3.1 F5R getting close to go-cartin
building my engine took the longest, kept buying more parts
hope to be driving it this late spring, legal or illegal
it will be in the rat stage for paint till the body releaves itself, then its paint time.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

bought my Classic Roadster in Nov. '03 finished it in Apr. '04 been driving it ever since when it's warm enough It's not for sale
Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

Took delivery of my kit June 28, 2003. Finished building July 2004. Still driving and smiling.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M , 5.0 efi
Not Ranked     

I got my EM frame as a roller in the spring of '97. I had it on the road by late summer of ''98. 82,500 miles later we're still have fun. These cars do become part of the family. During a slow down in my business some things had to go but the cobra never even came up for discussion. At my current rate I'll crack 100,000 miles sometime in 2013. I think a party will be in order.
Harvey
Old 03-10-2011, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

Perhaps this will be a record. Got my Butler Cobra in 1987. Bought the frame, body shell, dashboard, wiring & interior. I wanted to do everything else myself. Got a Performance engine package from PAW. Spent hours to Blueprint the engine. Matched combustion chambers to the same cc. Ported & polished the heads. Matched the manifold & header ports. Painted everything with hi-temp wrinkle finish and assembled it. Fit the engine & 10T trans to the frame. Rebuilt the Jaguar IRS installed that along with the MBG IFS that I totally rebuilt. Was never totally happy with the MGB IFS. But got the car about 90 percent assembled.

Then bought a business and for ten years that took my total dedication. Every now and then I'd tinker, but not much progress. Then the business took a turn and fell off a cliff dragging my house, life savings, my other cars & toys and almost my life with it.

But I was attached to my Cobra like Charlton Heston to his rifle. Out of my cold dead hand.

Life continued and time heals all. Many new things have happened to the car. Tossed the T10, installed a TKO600, tossed the MGB IFS installed a Fast Cars IFS. tossed the soft top, installed a hard top. Tossed the Holley 650 for the Commander 950 EFI and more. I'ts a love hate relationship. Often I hate the grunt work building custom parts for it, but when I finish each project I get a smile and a good feeling of accomplishment. In about three weeks I hope to fire it up for the first time and I may have to have my smile surgically removed after that.

I know every little detail about my car. I guess all-in-all I've loved the whole process. I hope to test drive her in April, then totally dismantle the car. Then I look forward to sanding every inch of body and perfecting every surface before I finnally start applying the paint. Reassembly will hopefully happen in record time and I hope to be enjoying some summer driving in 2011. So is that a record or what? 25 years, where did time go?

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/kx9WB7wK This link will take you to my build. You can also see my pictures in my profile here on the Forum.

Arthur

Last edited by lal Naja; 03-13-2011 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Typo & more info.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal Naja View Post
Perhaps this will be a record. Got my Butler Cobra in 1987. Bought the frame, body shell, dashboard, wiring & interior. I wanted to do everything else myself. Got a Performance engine package from PAW. Spent hours to Blueprint the engine. Matched combustion chambers to the same cc. Ported & polished the heads. Matched the manifold & header ports. Painted everything with hi-temp wrinkle finish and assembled it. Fit the engine & 10T trans to the frame. Rebuilt the Jaguar IRS installed that along with the MBG IFS that I totally rebuilt. Was never totally happy with the MGB IFS. But got the car about 90 percent assembled.

Then bought a business and that took my total dedication. Every now and then I'd tinker, but not much progress. Then the business took a turn and fell off a cliff dragging my house, life savings, my other cars & toys and almost my life with it.

But I was attached to my Cobra like Charlton Heston to his rifle. Out of my cold dead hand.

Life continued and time heals all. Many new things have happened to the car. Tossed the T10, installed a TKO600, tossed the MGB IFS installed a Fast Cars IFS. tossed the soft top, installed a hard top. I'ts a love hate relationship. Often I hate the grunt work building custom parts for it, but when I finish each project I get a smile and a good feeling of accomplishment. In about three weeks I hope to fire it up for the first time and I may have to have the smile surgically removed after that.

I know every little detail about my car. I guess I've loved the whole process. I hope to test drive her in April, then totally dismantle the car. Then I look forward to sanding every inch of body and perfecting every surface before I finnally start applying the paint. Reassembly will hopefully happen in record time and I hope to be enjoying some summer driving in 2011. So is that a record or what? 25 years, where did time go?

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/kx9WB7wK This link will take you to my build. You can also see my pictures in my profile here on the Forum.

Arthur
Wow lal Naja, you define dedication and perserverance! Congratulations to you and hope you enjoy your creation as much as I have mine.
I
Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

la naja
Lots of great ideas!
I'm glad you sped that music up!

Very impressed.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 289 c.i. with a T-5 "Living the Cobra Experience"
Not Ranked     

I built mine & love it. The build took longer than I anticipated due to a lay-off and after finding another job purchasing a house. Started in 2002 and finished in 2008 but I wouldn't have had it any other way.

A few friends helped me build it, most of the time we talked more than worked but it was a blast! I like the idea of knowing every nut & bolt on the car and it gave me a fantastic feeling of accomplishment.

I drive it whenever I get the chance & I love it!

"Living the Cobra Experience"