23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Who built their own cars and still own them?

Since it is an idle time for a lot of us,thought this would be a good question to float.
How many of you built your own cars,and of those that did still own them?

Bought my kit in 1993 even after a lot of research looking for as close to an original as possible(wanted fiberglass) bought a CMC car.Even dealing with these people never lost my desire to finish this car and did get all my parts.Was downsized out of my career job in 1994 with the car less than 1/2 done,used some of the severeance to pay off everything.Found other work immediately and finished the car in late 1995.Since then have done a few tweaking upgrades all in the pursuit of performance,and looks.Leather interior,undercar exhaust,scaled suspension,massaging the 468" to near 600hp,finally looking into a hardtop for the finishing touch.This car satisfies all the senses and I know it inside and out,truly a member of our family.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 502 Chev
Not Ranked     

Bought and built my Contemporary in 1982 originally powered with LS6 454 Chevy and repowered with 502 with 3" rear exhausts. coming up on its' 30th Birtrhday soon and enjoy it as much now as ever. Bruce M
Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR MKIII 408w
Not Ranked     

FFR MKIII 2004 Finished build 8-31-10...selling her would be like selling my dog!!!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

soon as I get one close to being done, ca$h walks in the door and out it goes, everythings for sale!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I bought the kit in '02, and "finished" it in '05.

Since then, it's been in a constant state of development. More power, better handleing, etc. Got a lot of fun miles on the road and track, and a lot of fun hours in the garage.

Sell? Maybe. I consider it once in a while. But the only reason to sell would be to build a new car. I really enjoyed the build.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 01-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

I bought my kit from E.R.A. in October 04 and had it on the road June 05. I do a little something to it each year, just a small change or two. A great, super reliable car.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
soon as I get one close to being done, ca$h walks in the door and out it goes, everythings for sale!
wife and kids notwithstanding no doubt? tin-man.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Bought my Shell Valley body and frame in 1992. Finances slowed my progress, but I began driving it 3 years later, having done it basically all myself. Still have the car, with only 12,000 miles on it. Still love to drive it. She still wins a trophy now and then. No real plans to sell, but you know how that is. Would like to build another, eliminating the mistakes I've had to correct on this one.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Bought my Everett-Morrison in 1995. Finished it in 1997. Did everything myself (except the engine assembly. My wife did that with my help and guidance). Have put 33,000 miles on it. This year I'm upgrading from a 302 to an FE stroker. (Built by me, this time). Wife wasn't too happy when I bought the kit (She's more into fat fendered street rods), but she loves it now. We've driven all over with it and have met some outstanding friends along the way. Barring some unseen event, we will have it for a very long time.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Started my Contemporary in 1980 frame #0000017 I am currently in the process of redoing most of it. This will always be part of my life and always a work in progess. Will start my second one hopefully with my children for them to enjoy as much as I do with the first.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR5, 300hp of entertainment
Not Ranked     

Got my kit in May 02. On the road in gel coat in Oct 02 with the first year of SB100. I was so stoked to get that number. Got 85k miles on it now. Wife loves her Cobra adventures. Have been all over Calif in all kinds of weather even a May snow storm on Carson Pass. I'll never sell it because there is absolutely nothing else that is even close to being as much fun.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

bought mine in 2000, finished in 2002, well maybe I just titled it and got in on the road.
I have changed the trannie three times, modified the motor every winter, reworked everything at least twice.

I have the motor out now because I rebuild it this fall. New bearings, rings and rockers. Fixed the dipstick and oil pickup.

I love working on it and changing things.

Eleven years, 29,000 miles. A blast to drive.

NOT FOR SALE

Dwight
Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates in-work again
Not Ranked     

I bought a CMC frame in July of 1991, found out CMC was not very good at full filling their orders so I went out a bought a Midstates body. Had the car completed in 1995 however I didn’t fit in the driver’s seat so I put it on blocks and went out and bought a Harley. Long story short, two years ago sold the CMC frame bought a Shell Valley frame as of today the car will go to paint next month. I am going to get my license plate on Friday which the plate will say “FNLYDUN”.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Bought my ERA 289FIA in phases over about four years, buying and building as I went. Got running and registered Jan 2010, painted that Spring. Driving the hell out of it.

Not for Sale. Few things in life that I enjoy as much as I enjoy my Cobra.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Well put doug-- !

Agreed, my little green machine is the best feeling on the roadway.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

bought my kit in September of 2005, had it drivable in 2006. Finished the paint and interior in 2009. Except for the seat bottoms being recovered, I have done it all myself. This will be the last car I own, can't imagine ever selling it, it's too much fun driving it and working on it. Don't think it will ever be "completely" finished!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I built my Cobra in 1999. Purchased kit and completely built it from the ground up and then painted it. I built my original engine (302) from scratch. Then I built a 428 CJ and a Toploader which I ran and road raced for several years until I decided to upgrade it to an original 63 iron block 427 CO.

Over the years I have upgraded suspension and brakes and to date I have spent of $60,000.00 on the Cobra. I am presently working on a Daytona Coupe which will be one of one. As a matter of fact I fired it up last night for the first time since the dyno. Not quite finished but making progress as the funds allow.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-31-2011, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #625 427S/C, 468 ci Al block, 615 HP
Not Ranked     

I built FFR 3407 as a small block with my son as his high school car project, and gave it to him when he graduated in 2004. We both love the car, both dynamically and sentimentally. He is away at school but I keep it in the garage and exercised.

I built Kirkham 625 in 2009 for myself and love the car. I expect we will keep both forever. There is nothing better than going cruising together in our cars.

Mark
Old 01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Started my Factory Five MkIII Nov. 2005 and completed by Sept. 2006. Been driving it ever since but as of Dec. 2010, it's been undergoing winter modifications. After 4 years, I realized a few things I wished I'd done so now I'm doing them:

1) Whitby Motorcars Power Brake kit (just got the frame modifications done yesterday night)
2) add another 1-2" to the right side foot box so I can bend out the gas pedal and add more room for my shoes.
3) waiting to get left-side foot box dead pedal.
4) Adding about another 30+ HP via new cam and cylinder heads.
5) Just got my flywheel resurfaced since it was just laying around.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Dear ole dad built his in 1991. I've had it since 2003. Not my original build, but still in the family...