Like Tree25Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

I understand your view. I have no issue with it. My only point is that peoples' personal feelings about what their car is; real, replica; original, continuation, kit; does not matter regarding the original point of this thread. The response to a person asking 'is it real' should simply be no. The answer to 'is it a kit or is it real' is 'it's a kit'. The answer to 'is it a kit' is 'its a kit'.

That answers the intent of the question. Any other embellishment to the answer serves your needs, not the person asking the question. It doesn't matter if you are proud of your car, or offended by the term kit, or worked really hard on it, or spent a lot of money on it, or think it is far superior to a kit.

The magazine is called Kit Car Magazine, not Replica Magazine nor Continuation Magazine nor Worked Really Hard On It Magazine. People only think its a real Cobra or a kit car. So owners' feelings about their car should not impede them from giving a simple answer to a simple question. Giving some long answer or 'its a replica' or some smart-arse answer sounds defensive and is defensive. I continue to wonder why people feel a need to embellish the answer.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Paul,

It is simple, most people do not ask the question correctly.

For the "is is real" question the answer is as simple as asking if the sun or the moon is real, yes, they are looking at a REAL vehicle. Of course we know what they mean. So it seems that the best answer when you are asked that question is, "it is not an original AC Cobra it is a (insert what ever you want here)".

If they want to know more, they will ask.

You are correct. There is no sense in being a smart a$$ about it. It is all part of owning one of these cars. Get your response prepared. You are going to be using it a lot.

JMO of course.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
The magazine is called Kit Car Magazine, not Replica Magazine nor Continuation Magazine nor Worked Really Hard On It Magazine. People only think its a real Cobra or a kit car. So owners' feelings about their car should not impede them from giving a simple answer to a simple question. Giving some long answer or 'its a replica' or some smart-arse answer sounds defensive and is defensive. I continue to wonder why people feel a need to embellish the answer.
Then Playboy magazine, should have naked men in the magazine?

Last edited by RodKnock; 03-03-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

And the madness continues!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Why not say.... Its a hand built replica.
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael4yah View Post
Why not say.... Its a hand built replica.
Or factory built replica?

I have also had people ask people what "donor car" was used. If you respond that no dodnor car was used they give you a confused look. Alot of people asking questions about these cars have no idea what they are, or for that matter what an original is. The ones I have given brochures to actually get surprised when they find out this replica industry exist.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     
Default Is it real?

I like the reply " Its a replica ". If they dont understand, let them try to ask more questions, its a ice breaker for me.

The Nut
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

And the debate rages on!

Frankly, trying to change the beliefs and attitudes of strangers is a waste of time. If they really mattered to me, they would be friends. Like it or not, the term kit is here to stay. If someone asks and then reacts negatively, that's their issue to own, not mine. If they are interested, I will spend the time to explain what is behind the term kit. They just might learn something or even become a friend. We waste way too much time worrying about what people that don't really matter to us think.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Kit car

I agree, its a waste of time, I doubt that anyone who asks could actually afford an original anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
And the debate rages on!

Frankly, trying to change the beliefs and attitudes of strangers is a waste of time. If they really mattered to me, they would be friends. Like it or not, the term kit is here to stay. If someone asks and then reacts negatively, that's their issue to own, not mine. If they are interested, I will spend the time to explain what is behind the term kit. They just might learn something or even become a friend. We waste way too much time worrying about what people that don't really matter to us think.
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

When asked at a local car gathering or in a restaurant parking lot if it is a "real" Cobra I often reply. "Well lets see, if it were a real S/C 427 Cobra it would be one of 31 made and worth over a million bucks. So what do you think?" This usually gets a good natured laugh, but one time I did hear the local expert tell his buddy that he knew it was a real one because it wasn't all shiney and new like those fakes are.

I don't mind the inquiring minds of the non Cobra public but do find Cobra snobbery among different Cobra kit, replica, clone, fake owners to be a real turn off.

Dick
Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaluv View Post
Cobra snobbery among different Cobra kit, replica, clone, fake owners to be a real turn off.

Dick
I LMAO at it!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Did have a couple of fella's ask once if it were real,No it's a kit! One of them answered, my friend has a real one,with just a touch of smart ass.Before he got away I asked what is his name and where does he live, I would like to see his car.For some reason he got very quiet.No matter just having my name on the registation is all I really need,and feeling the big block shake the car at idle.So many people have commented watching the doors shake up and down while climbing in.Love these hot rods.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     
Default "Da question"

Sweety you are extremely cute" (respectfully) they are trying to establish a conversation...just play along and give them my answer. When they ask I answer "Its a Lamborghini eater" they don't know what to say after that.

Then they hear my 500 hps purring inside after that I disappear and the question has been answered
Keep on Cobraing (Beautiful purple color!!!!!)
Ciao bella
Basque1
Old 03-30-2011, 03:38 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

"No idea,it's my Mom's."
Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

I just tell them it's not real it's an illusion. If opportunity presents itself I then disapear in a cloud of smoke!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

I don't know what to do when they ask me if it is real. I have to wonder what it is they are asking. After all, I know my car is not a 60's Cobra, which is what they are asking. But I don't want them thinking it is some crappy kit car. My ego is not strong enough to deal with this. I have to come up with some clever response to the question so that my manhood is preserved; so they know I don't have a crappy kit car. I know, I will call it a replica or a continuation Cobra. So when they ask "is it real" I'll say "it is a replica"

Meanwhile, the the man asking the question walks away with his young son and says to him "no son, it's not a real Cobra, its a kit car"
Old 08-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

If a Superformance is a kit the original Shelby Cobras were kits if being a "kit" has nothing to do with being an original car.

However, When Joe public asks if it's a "kit" he is in most cases asking if it's an original Cobra. The.question many times is phrased the other way.."is it real" or is it a "replica"? this is based on his general lack knowledge of the cars past and current history.

When asked (which is often) I tell people what the car is by saying it is a Shelby Cobra continuation series manufactured by Shelby American in 1999. They usually want to know more and I tell them about it. I have yet to meet a Joe Public that is not in awe when they are told and learn its a real aluminum bodied Shelby Cobra. As a Shelby, it speaks for itself and so does their reaction to seeing a Shelby Cobra. No such "awe" is generated by an LA Exotics, that's for sure.

Last edited by REAL 1; 08-28-2015 at 05:38 AM..
Old 08-28-2015, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default How about calling them "tribute cars"

Nicer way to call them what they really are, kit cars. My two pennies worth Chuck
Old 08-28-2015, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Must be a slow week. Folks are dragging out the old dead horses to beat on them for a while longer. ... My two cents are that if Shelby authorized it and put his name on it, it must be better and worth more than some other car that looks like it and performs as well or better. Here's proof:
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-28-2015, 05:47 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Just like the little cars fro the 60s he put his name on, or the Mustangs.

Some are worth more than others.

Don't know what those wagons go for but I'll bet a Shelby version will bring more than a non Shelby.